what scales for powder measuring

triggersqueezer

I use a auto dispencer and finish with a beam scale. First I dial in 1/10gr below charge wanted and then use beam and a powder trickler to finish it off and the exact load.

Also I seat the bullet while I am waiting for the dispencer to finish so it's also pretty efficient time wise.

You can't beat the beam scale for consistency and Accracy of measuring your powder.

See TargetMaster system

Accurate to 0.02 grains on overage

* tested over 40 throws measured on lab scale

Transportable

Handles all powder types

Made in UK

Alan is Great bloke and sales and after service is top notch

I have done 3000 rounds on mine all Fclass

Personally I prefer digital, you just have to try and reduce any factors that can cause Inaccuracies (warm up time, strip lighting, overloaded power sockets, mobiles etc.)

I use the Chargemaster and given the volume of rifle cartridges I reload find it accuate and extremely effective in terms of time and convenience.

I prefer digital. I had an Acculab 123 and while it was being serviced, replaced it with a GemPro 250. Both do a very good job. Throw light and trickle up. Also very handy for sorting my Remington 260 Rem brass by weight as the brass has a >5 gr range.

Regards JCS

Acculab 123 - throw light with Harrell and trickle up.

Acculab 123 - throw light with Harrell and trickle up.

A question, and I'm not trying to be a smart aleck. If you're going to throw light and trickle, why the Harrell? Or did you happen to have the Harrell and so that's what you use? I have considered a Harrell but I have an ancient Seeley Masker competion measure that will toss coarse stick to .3 either way. (Finer powder will be too close to merit weighing, depending on the powder) I just don't know if I can better that unit. For charges I'm going to trickle, like my 308 target loads, I have a cheap Lee measure permanently set to toss light.~Andrew

A question, and I'm not trying to be a smart aleck. If you're going to throw light and trickle, why the Harrell? Or did you happen to have the Harrell and so that's what you use? I have considered a Harrell but I have an ancient Seeley Masker competion measure that will toss coarse stick to .3 either way. (Finer powder will be too close to merit weighing, depending on the powder) I just don't know if I can better that unit. For charges I'm going to trickle, like my 308 target loads, I have a cheap Lee measure permanently set to toss light.~Andrew

Answer - The Harrell will not give the absolute accuracy of plus or minus 0.02 of a grain that I want to achieve on my loaded round, so I need to throw 'light' and trickle up. There is not one powder thrower on earth that will give the absolute accuracy that some shooters now want for long range competition (or even plinking/varminting etc).

Unless someone can prove otherwise.

Answer - The Harrell will not give the absolute accuracy of plus or minus 0.02 of a grain that I want to achieve on my loaded round, so I need to throw 'light' and trickle up. There is not one powder thrower on earth that will give the absolute accuracy that some shooters now want for long range competition (or even plinking/varminting etc).

Unless someone can prove otherwise.

I agree to a very large extent about accuracy but my point is, given the desire or necessity to throw light, why a measure like a Harrell VS something cheaper? Or, as I was asking, did you buy the Harrell with higher expectations and now use it to dump light because this is simply the measure you now have at hand?~Andrew

I agree to a very large extent about accuracy but my point is, given the desire or necessity to throw light, why a measure like a Harrell VS something cheaper? Or, as I was asking, did you buy the Harrell with higher expectations and now use it to dump light because this is simply the measure you now have at hand?~Andrew

I purchased the Harrell thinking that it would be the most accurate of throwers to suit my reloading at the time, and it was as I did not trickle up.

However, as I got more into long range competition and wanted consistancy with Mv etc, it was pretty obvious that it became necessary to trickle up.

I guess I could have sold it, and just used a more basic thrower, but didn't. You could say it is an overpriced thrower but I will still use it.

Good shooting.

That's what I figured, thanks. I'm in the same boat. I have that SM Comp measure and it does almost well enough but not quite. I have been offered money for it but I have had it since the mid eighties and I like it. I was using it as a high priced dumper but then decided that for 308 -the one and never changing load I trickle daily- I'd set up the Lee and free the SM for other duties. It was just more convenient that way.~Andrew

Sent mine to Scott Parker in the USA, 1066 on may be able to help.

From the outset of F-class endeavours I have been lucky to use the Targetmaster system.

I had purchased a standard Redding No 2 scale to use in conjunction with the TM. I thought it was pretty good but the more I used it the more I came to realise that the scale was the weakpoint in the process,

Anyway after some reviewing some websites and some discussions with Allan (1066) I realised that a thing called a "tuned beam scale" existed.

So after the Euro's I spoke to Alan and he produced a deluxe tuned scale... RCBS 5-0-5 with a USB camera . cheers2.gif

And I have been using it and I cannot properly articulate or explain the scale of the improvement. It takes a great system and makes it brilliant!

The scale is much smoother and you can just feel the balance and it just stops perfectly! I don't have the hooks and judders that randomly affected the standard Redding scale.

Alan had calibrated it for me. I loaded about 150 round in the past 3 weeks and was extremely happy with its overall improvement and the fact that over 40 tested charges the average throw was within 0.01 of the target charge!

BUT tonight ... well I was so impressed as I loaded some test rounds just now .. that I stopped loading to come and post this report!

I set it for 46.0 and threw 3 charges - my Lab scale ... shows 3 x 46.0

I set it for 47.0 and threw 3 charges - my Lab scale ... shows 3 x 47.0

I set it for 48.0 and threw 3 charges - my Lab scale ... shows 3 x 48.0

I set it for 48.5 and threw 3 charges - my Lab scale ... shows 3 x 48.5

Based on what I have seen I would happily take that Beam scale to a range and throw a charge as set my the beam scale and totally trust it!

Calibration, precision, repeatable and portable!

World class product - Alan - World class!

ENS

Harrell and a 10-10. Last I checked gravity doesn't change, unlike battery power, electric supply, and computers!No disrespect to the digital guys, I just don't trust them.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Archived