My new rifle....

Tiff

Just thought I'd share a few pictures from todays load development:

200CF46E-CAF4-408A-AB57-EAF589B55A39-772

My sister modeling for a close up picture of the rifle "in use".
AE8083A8-F74C-462F-9DD7-E5A16D70FCB5-772

The rifles specs:

7.62x51 AIAE MK III 2.0 in Viperskins OD Fleck Cammo
Brugger & Thomet Moderator in AI Thermal Cover
IOR 12-52x56 'Terminator' in IOR 40mm 1 piece mount
Rigby Bipod

Cheers,

Tiff

Straighten yourself up, your prone position needs work

The photo's don't really show how steep the field is, but my body does!

The firing point we will use is still being built behind and will be level...

Building your own range?

Nice....lucky bugger

Like "Bradders" says, your legs are not behind your rifle

So you're not taking the recoil & probably squinting the shot too...

Your right leg needs to come a lot further right... :-)

Hope this helps :-)

Your own range, lucky bugger :-)

Building your own range?

Nice....lucky bugger

Thanks, it's a work in progress with a friend who owns the place. As and when it's up and running (couple more months or so), I'll let everyone know.

Like "Bradders" says, your legs are not behind your rifle

So you're not taking the recoil & probably squinting the shot too...

Your right leg needs to come a lot further right... :-)

Hope this helps :-)

ps your sister looks like she is canting right on the grip :-)

Yeah, normally would be much further right, but the field is a tad steep.....I'd end up at the bottom of it!

As for my sister, she's not a shooter, but thought I'd take a picture of someone holding it, rather than just the rifle.

As for my sister, she's not a shooter, but thought I'd take a picture of someone holding it, rather than just the rifle.

Sorry, I didn't mean to come over too aggressive, I'm only a noob...

I just read a lot...

(& spotted the right can't.)

How are you finding the rifle now you've tried it out?

Does it measure up to your expectations?

I'm really interested in if you think it was worth the money?

LRC

Sorry, I didn't mean to come over too aggressive, I'm only a noob...

I just read a lot...

(& spotted the right can't.)

How are you finding the rifle now you've tried it out?

Does it measure up to your expectations?

I'm really interested in if you think it was worth the money?

LRC

Hi LRC,

No worries. I've only shot the rifle three times and it's a pleasure to use - especially now I've fitted the Viperskins! I simply couldn't get on with the small grip of the AI thumbhole and it's angular build. The quality and finish of the Viperskins is far better and a massive ergonomic improvement for me. Plus I think the OD fleck is a nice twist on the standard green.

The rifle is grouping 0.3-0.5" at a hundred yards in 15+ mph side winds, with no real load development work and from a somewhat wonky shooting position - so showing real promise.

The whole setup is functional, reliable and precise enough for my requirements. I would rather have only payed half the £6k+ price tag, but since that is not possible....I would have to say yes, it is worth the money. Plus having sold a lot of my firearms to fund it, I'm more than a little relieved that I like it!

OMG,

You should see some of the positions I have to get into to take a shot at charlie whilst out lamping. I am surprised I hit anything at all. :lol:

The 20 is probably more Practical for the less limbic limber.

Gbal

OMG,

You should see some of the positions I have to

get into to take a shot at charlie whilst out lamping. I am surprised I hit anything at all. :lol:

It's called real life shooting mate, being able to shoot in all kind of different ways. Not just sat at a bench or being set perfect, doesn't happen much out in the field, as you seen last night ;)

It's called real life shooting mate, being able to shoot in all kind of different ways. Not just sat at a bench or being set perfect, doesn't happen much out in the field, as you seen last night ;)

Ok,point taken.

They are just different.

Or is putting one shot at 150 yards into a 4-6 inch target (fox) much more demanding in terms of shooting skill than putting 25 shots into . 25 inch at 100 yards(BR),or 5 shots into 5 inches at 1000 ?

Those who have done both will have an informed opinion on which is the more replicable,day in,night out! Smileys.

Gbal

i like a lot of us on this forum do both and yes like you say it is a different form of shooting but i for one will admit when i shoot a comp there is a lot more pressure on me to put 20 shots into a V-bull at lets say 600yrds than to shoot a fox at 150yrds still the same skill involved to hit your target but you only have to it it once not 20 times as in a comp.

forgot to say Tiff nice looking rifle what kind of MV do you get out of your loads i have the same rifle in 308 love it also i had the IOR scope great scope love the turrets where did you get yours from

Tiff,

Looks great.

Grateful for thoughts:

Bipod on the AI anschutz rail?

Easy to fit/remove? (assuming it has to come off to stow the rifle?)

Good in use?

(Weight?)

The Rigby is a good design concept, but poorly executed in places - however at half the price now, I feel it is worth overcoming these issues.

I brought two, for my AI and TRG.

With RUAG 10 miles away I collected both the AI and Pic. versions, but simply could not get on with the AI spogot. Being used to Harris with a podlock and Atlas bipods, I like having the tilt handle within easy reach for quick adjustment (to lock down hard) when shooting.

I therefore returned the AI spigot and got a second Pic unit with the Anschutz rail adapter. Unfortunately the poor execution came to light, the 'universally interchangeable' Rigby Ans. adapter doesn't fit the Pic. bipod - the hole in the 'yoke' is too small, forcing it to sit too high and stopping it clamping down:

5B6CA3C0-D2C3-47FE-81D0-723EDF2A1EB9-112

F2012B17-5A1E-45B9-A61E-C17D8DEF031F-112

So I drilled it out larger so it clamped down and allowed me to pan the rifle left and right. However since the the adapter is locked off at the bottom by a hand nut, if you pan one way it locks tighter and then looser the the other direction. I did not like this and simply do not need the panning option, so Devcon resined the adapter squarely in place:

FF1F711F-2B87-4231-9044-39F0B04C26C9-112

E27276B6-D411-4292-9EBE-C9E151297AD4-112

The picatinny adapter in the in the picture below is utter rubbish and is made to the high quality standards of cheap chinese airgun mounts....It also is too high and pointlessly raises the centre of gravity by an extra inch and moves it further from the bore:

A963638E-E492-4615-ACDC-5C34419425AB-112

Finally the legs (which are strong and well made) index off a plate that is attached to the yoke via two small screws. These come loose and need either threading or resining in place:

BE0C8088-C8AB-4230-AF06-C4EDB44D341A-112

It now works very well and is easy to attach/remove by simply loosening the hand nut on the bottom - it then simply slides on/off. (I will replace this hand nut with a large 8mm thread hand wheel, since the standard metal one can be hard to grip with gloves on).

There is no disputing it is a heavy bipod (compared to an atlas etc.), but it is extremely stable in use; far better for stability than a Harris or Atlas etc. Great for the range trips or shooting with not too much movement between shots - I will take it on the hill stalking, but wouldn't advise it for that use...The legs are easy to fold away and are sprung/indexed onto the attachment plate, so cannot catch on something and deploy like a Harris can. They have a very positive internal spring, making adjusting the legs hight easy and have a good range of adjustment height.

I will use this one on my TRG (which uses the Anschutz rail) whereas the AI uses their dimensions with the larger 'slot' size. While this Ans. adapter does work fine on the AI (as shown) it would be worth making an adapter with the correct dimensions. This would remove the slight lateral play when fitting it into the slot & spread the weight over a greater area - next weeks project.

Sorry about the long reply and hope it helps.

Tiff

forgot to say Tiff nice looking rifle what kind of MV do you get out of your loads i have the same rifle in 308 love it also i had the IOR scope great scope love the turrets where did you get yours from

The scope and mounts came from Joost van Gervan at Airgun Heaven in Holland, a great guy to deal with. I too love the 25 MOA elevation each turn offers (all four of them!) and the reticule is the best I have ever used. The way the reticule it is calibrated for 0.5 Mrad at 14.4x, MOA at 26x and 1/2 MOA at 52x is such a clever idea, along with the positive 'click' it gives when at each set magnification; meaning you don't even have to look at the mag. ring to know when you move from 52x to 26x or 14.4x.

As for loads, with 45.5 gr. of Varget & 155 Scenar 25 thou off the lands (COAL 2.850") I'm getting an average of 2850 fps, with an ES of 17 fps and groups around 0.4" at 100 yards.

Tiff - great answer - thanks for the detail, exactly what I was keen to learn :)

Bottom line: recommended (for an AI) or not?

I would say yes.

I'm sure John MH would be able to comment further on how he is getting on with the AI spigot adapter.

If he is getting on well with it (don't know if the AI adapter has any quirky issues like the Ans. one), it is a case of deciding if you prefer having the tilt handle closer on the rear of the unit. If yes, you must be prepared to make an adapter for the rail and modify the yoke...Not ideal (one could argue the consumer shouldn't have too etc.), but worth doing at the price they are now.

N.b. forgot to add in the last post, I have a .260 spare barrel on my FAC and will be getting one in a few months or so...

Thanks Tiff; John is very kindly lending me an anschutz one to have a play with - you taking yours to the quarry? I'll be keen to have a look at it!

Yep, shall be there with it on Saturday.

Archived