I'm looking at getting a rear bag to use for load development and zeroing. Iv already got a TAB bag but want something for using off a bench.

What is everybody else using?

Get something with Cordura ears and leather base. Edgewood make the best bags and Brian Fox has the full range in stock - not cheap though.

I will second what Vince says, if its for bench shooting Edgewood all the way.

Just be careful, they get very heavy when you use zircon/chromite sand, my gaterbag weighs 10kg

But at that weight they are rock solid and dont move an the bench, just be careful if you buy one and make sure you dont damage the base.

Either store it base down on a flat board or make a carrying box and store it upside down so it doesnt rock on the base.

Cheers

Bruce

Just be careful, they get very heavy when you use zircon/chromite sand, my gaterbag weighs 10kg

But at that weight they are rock solid and dont move an the bench, just be careful if you buy one and make sure you dont damage the base.

Either store it base down on a flat board or make a carrying box and store it upside down so it doesnt rock on the base.

Cheers

Bruce

Good to know about the base becoming rounded, makes a lot of sense when you think about it!

Shaun

I have just attached a couple of pictures of the box, it will work for any bag, but this one is for my standard Edgewood.

Several bonuses, makes that bag easier to carry, stops the base getting dished and stops the bag getting bashed and damaged either in transit or at the range.

Cheers

Bruce

Good idea Bruce, but wouldnt it be easier to buy a bag with a carry handle - such as the F Class dedicated bag?

I have a box for each of my edgewood bags for carrying and storing when not in use.

Standard, Gater and Minigater with Carrry handle.

As I say, you can stack the boxes without damaging the bags, great for storage at home or transit in the car or in the back of the pickup at Diggle.

I tend to drop my bag in them between relays at benchrest matches etc, keeps it out of the way of others etc.

Thanks for the pics Bruce, definetly something that I'll have to make.

I've had a look at the Edgewood bags (bloody hell they are expensive!!!) and for the amount of use I want from a rear bag might be too much!

I've also looked at the Protektor bags that are very similar to the Edgewood, with a thick leather base, leather sides and condura ears. These are about half the price of the Edgewood, maybe because of the materials not being as good quality??

Thanks for all the comments so far, really helpfull.

Shaun are you target shooting or like me you home load for foxing etc and just want something for occasional use. I used to use an old trouser leg filled with kiln dried (silica) sand. now I have a set of bags that cost £22 at my local rfd filled with sand blasting media (crushed recycled glass) was all I had and seems to work these do the job for me but I'm no target shooter if you want one for that then I'm not best placed to advise.

Just having another think about these rear bags - Is there any reason why a bag can't be stitched to a plywood base to stop any rounding?

You can nail it to plywood or anything else you fancy but NOT for benchrest competition.

Shaun are you target shooting or like me you home load for foxing etc and just want something for occasional use. I used to use an old trouser leg filled with kiln dried (silica) sand. now I have a set of bags that cost £22 at my local rfd filled with sand blasting media (crushed recycled glass) was all I had and seems to work these do the job for me but I'm no target shooter if you want one for that then I'm not best placed to advise.

Yes pretty much same as you, I dont do any serious target shooting. I just want something steady for load development.

post-11375-0-92407100-1364214661_thumb.jpg This is what I got no make on them only thing I found was fill hole is velcro closed and on one of the bags it let some sand back out so I gaffa taped it

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers

Bruce

I have a SEB rear bag that has full length ears, (got it from Brian Fox) so I'm hoping this is OK for bench rest on Saturday?

Archived