What are the best / most popular Tactical / sniper comp targets

LONG RANGE CAPT

It might be worth talking to "Bradders" who puts together the CSR matches we do at Bisley.

You would need to take into consideration distance, target size and what position the competitor is using.

For instance at 100 yards a Fig12c is no problem for a scoped AR15 or similiar but it will be a problem for a competitor with a No.4 who ideally would be better off shooting at a Fig 12 or Fig 11.

I'm looking into the possibility of some new competitions for one of the clubs I shoot with and wanted to get some ideas from the members of the forum of good targets and rules / timings.

I'd appreciate any thoughts, advice and targetry.

Kind Regards

Rob

What comps do you currently shoot?

McQueens is always a good one.

It might be worth talking to "Bradders" who puts together the CSR matches we do at Bisley.

You would need to take into consideration distance, target size and what position the competitor is using.

For instance at 100 yards a Fig12c is no problem for a scoped AR15 or similiar but it will be a problem for a competitor with a No.4 who ideally would be better off shooting at a Fig 12 or Fig 11.

Cheers Mick,

It all depends 0n what type of matches you want to run, range facilities and what rifle types people have.

I have a load of CoF's that can be used or adapted and they will all guarantee a fun day out for everyone.

We generally base our days on around 90-110rds per day and shoot normally from 100-500yds, sometimes out to 600, and as we did yesterday from 100 down to 25.

They're all challenging, none are easy.

Out targetry is mostly figure targets, such as 11's, 12's, 12c's and 14's and sometimes multiples of these.

Scoring is kept simple, 5&4, so in 10rd practises the max points is 50

Cof's have a variety of static deliberate (rapid fire) snaps as well as fire and movement.

Some matches are combat shooting biased and some more sharpshooting/sniper oriented

Hope this helps

Rob, why not come over to Diggle and shoot one of our PR comps ? It would show you all the targets/COF,s that Mark is on about.

There is one the weekend after the show.

I,ll lend you an AR and ammo.

Rob,

Figure 11's in the various guises are good as are huns heads or you've the bog std. IPSC target.

Best thing for any stage is not so much the target itself but to add 'strees' as in a maximum time to complete the stage or the difficulty of the shot.

You can also add something to think about i.e.know your limits where the shoote decides what he goes for but if he misses then he looses all the ponts for hat stage. Only put one stress item per stage otherwise you end up with a mastermind rather than shooting.

Biggest restriction will be your range. If you can only shoot square on known distances then you are limited as to how 'interesting' you can make it :(

Adding say a simple barricade with three levels ( sitting, kneeling and standing) makes for a good stage, 2 shots strong prone, 2 shots from each position on the barricade then two shots weak prone.

As others have said keep the scoring simple.

Terry

This should give you some ideas

This is the CoF for Aprils match

Long Range Practises
Stage 1 - 600x Helmand
o Type of practice - Snap
o Distance – 600 yards
o Position - Prone
o Rounds – 2 sighting shots and10 to count
o Targets – Fig12
o Scoring - 5 & 4
o Procedure
1. After two sighting shots have been fired and spotting discs shown, competitors are to make ready with a further 10 rounds
2. The targets will make ten appearance of four seconds
3. On appearance of the targets, competitors are to fire one round per exposure
Stage 2 - 500x Musa Qala
o Type of practice – Snap
o Distance – 500
o Position – Prone
o Rounds - 10 to count
o Targets – Fig11
o Scoring - 5 & 4
o Procedure
1. Competitors are to be in the standing ready alert position with rifles loaded
2. On appearance of the targets for fifteen seconds, competitors are to adopt the prone position and fire two rounds
3. There will then be a further four exposures of six seconds
4. Competitors are to fire two rounds per exposure

Stage 3 - 400x Sangin Surprise
o Type of practice - Rapid
o Distance – 400 yards
o Position – Prone
o Rounds - 10 to count (two magazines of 5)
o Targets – Two Fig11
o Scoring - 5 & 4
o Procedure
1. Competitors are to be in the standing ready alert position with rifles loaded 5 metres behind the firing point
2. On appearance of targets for fifty seconds, competitors are to advance to the firing point adopt the prone position and fire five rounds at each target.
Stage 4 – 400-300x Rundown
o Distance – 300 yards
o Position - Prone
o Rounds – 10 to count
o Targets – Fig12
o Scoring – 5 & 4
o Procedure
1. Competitors are to be in the standing ready alert position on the 400x firing point with rifles loaded
2. On appearance of the targets for fifteen seconds, competitors are to adopt the prone position and fire two rounds
3. There will then be a 1 second ‘flash’ of the targets
4. Competitors are to advance to the 300x firing point
5. There will be a further four exposures of 6 seconds over a 6ft frontage
6. Competitors are to fire two rounds per exposure
7. Competitors will have 30 seconds to move between firing points
8. Safety Catches will be applied during all movement

Stage 5 - 300x Ambush
o Distance – 300 yards
o Position - Prone
o Rounds –10 to count (two magazines of 5)
o Targets – Fig12
o Scoring – 5 & 4
o Procedure
1. Competitors are to be in the standing ready alert position 5 metres behind the firing point with rifles loaded
2. The targets will make one exposure of 60 seconds
3. On appearance of the targets, competitors are to advance to the firing point, adopt the prone position and fire ten rounds

SUNDAY AFTERNOON 6th April 2013 START TIME 1.15PM

Short Range Practises
Stage 1 - The 200x Bisley Bullet
o Distance – 200 yards
o Position - Prone
o Rounds – 2 sighting shots and10 to count
o Targets – Fig14 Window
o Scoring – 5, 4 & 3
o Procedure
1. After completion of sighting shots, competitors are to make ready with ten rounds
2. Competitors are to be in the prone position with rifles loaded
3. The targets will make ten appearances of 3 seconds over a frontage of 6ft
4. Competitors will fire one round per exposure
Stage 2 - The 200x Sitting
o Distance – 200 yards
o Position - Sitting
o Rounds - 10 to count
o Targets – Two Fig11
o Scoring 5 & 4
o Procedure
1. Competitors are to standing ready alert position with rifles loaded
2. On appearance of the targets for 40 seconds, competitors are to adopt the sitting position and fire 5 rounds at each target

Stage 3 - The 200-100x Assault
o Distance – 100 yards
o Position - Standing
o Rounds –10 to count
o Targets – One Fig12c
o Scoring - 5 & 4
o Procedure
1. Competitors are to be in the standing ready alert position on the 200yd firing point with rifles loaded
2. There will then be a 1 second ‘flash’ of the targets
3. Competitors are to advance to the 100x firing point
4. There will be three 8 second exposures of the target
5. Competitors may fire any number of rounds per exposure
6. Competitors will have 30 seconds to move between firing points
7. Safety Catches will be applied during all movement

Stage 4 - The 100x Standing
o Distance – 100 yards
o Position - Standing followed by kneeling or squatting
o Rounds –10 to count
o Targets – One Fig12c
o Scoring - 5 & 4
o Procedure
1. Competitors are to be in the standing ready alert position with rifles loaded
2. The target will make five double exposures of ‘3 seconds up, 2 seconds down, 3 seconds up' at irregular intervals over a period of 2 minutes
The first shot at each double exposure is to be fired from the standing position and the second shot from either the kneeling or squatting positions. Firers must return to the standing ready alert position after each double exposure
Stage 5 - The 100x Double Snap
o Distance – 100 yards
o Position – Kneeling and standing
o Rounds – 10 to count
o Targets – Fig12c
o Scoring – 5 & 4
o Procedure
2. Targets will make five appearances of six seconds.
3. On the first appearance of the targets, competitors are to adopt the kneeling position and fire two rounds
4. Competitors are to remain in the kneeling position
5. On the second appearance of the targets, competitors are to adopt the standing position and fire two rounds.
6. Competitors are to remain in the standing ready alert position
7. On subsequent appearances of the targets, competitors are to repeat this sequence until all ten rounds have been fired

Sounds great!

Without detracting from the thread, are we likely to ever see any US-style TPRC type competitions in the UK?

I'm always interested in range officer interpretation of steel targets and (theoretical) potential for ricochet?

What's TPRC?

Does anyone have any good 100m "know your limits" targets in pdf of similar format ?

Dave, sounds like a good day whats the typical format, round count etc...

Usually 8 stages Rob, from all shooting positions, at all ranges out to 600 yards. We are trying to alter the COF,s to fall more in line with standard COF,s for CSR these days , as several of us regularly go to Bisley to shoot Mark,s comps , the pinnacle being the Civilian Service Rifle week in the summer.

A couple of standard COF,s are [usually the first one of the day ] is the Diggle warm up.

A figure 11 and a figure 12 on one target board, come up for sixty seconds. You take the first shot standing, then go to kneeling, and take a shot, then squatting and take one, then sitting, and take one, then prone and take one.

You should be able to do that twice in 60 seconds. The fitter amongst us can sometimes get 11 or 12 rounds off. Its unlimited rounds, limited by the time constraint.

shot at 100 yards.

Another is "snaps"

Adopt the prone position and have 10 individual exposures of 3 seconds of a huns head or figure 12c dependant on range over the target frontage.

This is also ran from a sitting position, but usually 5 double taps rather than single shots.

Loads of different COF,s and all fun.

Usually around 100 to 120 rounds per match. Plenty of shooting, and merciless pisstaking. :D

Come on up mate, wont cost you a bean, i,ll fire the Dillon up.

Edit,

Hadn,t seen Marks COF there...

Boy does that look good Mark. Cant wait !

I,ll bend Pete,s ear.

Usually 8 stages Rob, from all shooting positions, at all ranges out to 600 yards. We are trying to alter the COF,s to fall more in line with standard COF,s for CSR these days , as several of us regularly go to Bisley to shoot Mark,s comps , the pinnacle being the Civilian Service Rifle week in the summer.

A couple of standard COF,s are [usually the first one of the day ] is the Diggle warm up.

A figure 11 and a figure 12 on one target board, come up for sixty seconds. You take the first shot standing, then go to kneeling, and take a shot, then squatting and take one, then sitting, and take one, then prone and take one.

You should be able to do that twice in 60 seconds. The fitter amongst us can sometimes get 11 or 12 rounds off. Its unlimited rounds, limited by the time constraint.

shot at 100 yards.

Another is "snaps"

Adopt the prone position and have 10 individual exposures of 3 seconds of a huns head or figure 12c dependant on range over the target frontage.

This is also ran from a sitting position, but usually 5 double taps rather than single shots.

Loads of different COF,s and all fun.

Usually around 100 to 120 rounds per match. Plenty of shooting, and merciless pisstaking. :D

Come on up mate, wont cost you a bean, i,ll fire the Dillon up.

The main difference between Bisley and Diggle is that at Bisley you don't have to be a mountain goat, but having webbed feet certainly helps ;)

Hadn,t seen Marks COF there...

Boy does that look good Mark. Cant wait !

I,ll bend Pete,s ear.

Yeah, I was looking at some Canadian CoF's for inspiration and saw they have a match commemorating their inviovement in WW1

They had stages named after Vimy, Bellau Wood (I think) and some others.

The rest of it grew from there and I, or rather we decided to give it an Afghan connection.

Therefore it's hard at long distance and "furious" at the shorter one.

I plan to use the LMT

Hope you can make it, I'm really looking forward to it.

What's TPRC?

Apologies - TBRC - 'tactical bolt-action rifle competition'

Allot of fire and manoeuvre shooting - typically in uncomfortable scenarios with poor or obtuse positions.

For any ex- or serving military, like a FIBUA village positioned on a conventional range

What's TPRC?

Apologies - TBRC - 'tactical bolt-action rifle competition'

Allot of fire and manoeuvre shooting - typically in uncomfortable scenarios with poor or obtuse positions.

For any ex- or serving military, like a FIBUA village positioned on a conventional range

Rob,

Pm me re targets.

Lateo,

Biggest problem we have here is suitable ranges to run that type of comp, the PRecision Rifle Series is a good example of this in the US. But google 'Snipers hide cup' or 'Allegeny Sniper match' for examples.

Things like steel targets, wide arcs of fire and intermediate distances etc. just do not exist, at least not in many locations, in the UK.

They are good to shoot, very competative but friendly, you find out what you can't do, or what your rifle falls down on.

Terry

Cheers Terry.

I've had the pleasure of chatting to Tony Gimmellie courtesy of his Impact Data Book website.

I'm sure that an appropriately balanced course could be developed in the UK with a bit of willing and imagination ( - even if only 'mimicking' some of the more 'robust' antics if US shooting)

Anything developed by Long Range Captain (and others) sould be applauded :)

Hopefully it is a step towards a less atrophied style of shooting, found at some of our more blander rifle clubs!

Cheers Terry.

I've had the pleasure of chatting to Tony Gimmellie courtesy of his Impact Data Book website.

I'm sure that an appropriately balanced course could be developed in the UK with a bit of willing and imagination ( - even if only 'mimicking' some of the more 'robust' antics if US shooting)

Anything developed by Long Range Captain (and others) sould be applauded :)

Hopefully it is a step towards a less atrophied style of shooting, found at some of our more blander rifle clubs!

It's not all down to the clubs, it's what you can and can't do on a MoD range.

Like I always say, stop worrying about what goes on in America and other places and try some of the stuff already on offer here.

Then as you progress you can look further afield

Archived