6.5 bullets

njc110381

I'm just getting into reloading and want a bullet that will do the job well on both Fox and Deer. Most Deer will be Roe or Fallow, with some Red Hinds thrown in at times. I doubt I'll be shooting Deer at range, maybe 150 yards? Most of the shooting will be Fox.

I've ordered some Lapua cases and Hornady 129grn SST bullets. I'll be loading over Varget.

What do you think of the SST? Are there any other bullets I should try before I settle into a load with them (I don't plan to mess about once I've got something half decent, I'll just load what I know)?

Guest northernchris

As a "jack of all trades master of most" bullet i use either 100gr or 120gr Nosler Balistic tips in the 6.5x55 even at a modest 2640fps the 120gr puts um down VERY WELL and are umber accurate to boot ;)

My load is

44.8gr of N160

Lapua Brass

CCI BR-2 primers

120gr Nosler BT

2640fps

Sierra make some lighter hollow point bullets but they would only suitable for for Fox and maybe the smaller deer species.I hear the Hornadys 129gr and 140gr bullets are very good but i have no 1st hand experiance on game with these.

A guy I know really doesn't like Noslers, so I've never considered them. He says they're messy. That opinion got me a right grilling over on pigeon watch because I can't back it up first hand. Are they not known as one of the more violent bullets, even the non varmint types?

Guest northernchris

As i said driven at modest speeds AND with correct bullet placement they are fine. They make no more mess than Sierra gamekings of the same weight.

Guest northernchris

It depends on what bullet weight he is running.

I shot some of the factory 140gr Hornady ammo yesterday,out of the Sako 75 i was testing they shot very well on paper,the owner of the Sako uses it every year on Scotish hinds will no problem at all.

All said and done find a QUALITY game bullet some good loading components and see what YOUR rifle likes best.

NJC

I shoot 165 nosler BT that I home load for my .308, I get on fine with them but on the odd occasion I have had them Blow up, for want of a better description, but i believe that it has been when the bullet has partially hit bone and i have used this load on Muntjac, Roe and Fallow with no other problems and very consistanly accurate

The guy that ownes the syndicate that I shoot on does not really like them and generally doesn't like them been used, I think that the problems occure when people drive them too fast. someone I new had a .308 shooting 180gr BT that were always blowing up and wrecking he meat but he was driving them at 2800fps when 2400 to 2600 would be fine

So if you keep the fps scensible then you should not have a problem

I have heard that the SST is a great bullet so stick with it for now and see how you get on

Ian

Ive used the 129 ssts over N560 and they performed well, as Chris says keep the speed down. I currently use 140gr SP over same powder and they perform superbly, you can get it in 129gr as well. The SPs are a flat base bullet, which if you are shooting under 300 yds is likely to be more accurate and certainly a bit cheaper to buy, best is to try both types see how you like them.

Redfox

I use the Nosler 100Gn BT in the .260, and with correct bullet placement there is no problem with excessive meat damage or 'blown up' bullets at all. The Nosler 120BT is recognised in the USA as the most robust for calibre BT that Nosler produce. Most of my colleagues use the 120Noslers on roe and fallow very sucessfully and with minimal wound effect on impact or exit. needless to say foxes can't tell the difference between 100 & 120's :(

The advice on Ballistic tips and impact velocity is given on the Nosler website, so it is probably worth reading the manufacturers wisdom ?

I would suggest working up to the loads in the Nosler manual according to grouping and any pressure signs in your particular rifle and go from there.

Having said all that in favour of Nosler, I have never heard a bad word said about the Hornady 120SST ...... pays yer money , takes yer choice or what suits the rifle best perhaps?

ATB

T260

130 grain Barnes TSX - a great leveller.

Also try, 140g SST but I had bad experience on a Large Red with them (lots of damage) and range was not close.

Guest northernchris

Andy

Never tryed them in any of my past/present rifles,how do you find them on lighter species??

What speed are you driveing the TSX at ????

Chris

Andy

Never tryed them in any of my past/present rifles,how do you find them on lighter species??

What speed are you driveing the TSX at ????

Chris

2900 fps with sub .5 moa accuracy.

No problems with any size deer.

Probably down to poor bullet placement or inexperience :(

perhaps I should have left the rifle at home and used my doggies and lamp :(

Shot was quartering and entered just at rear of right shoulder at elbow, exited front of left elbow. Took out lungs and part of heart, hydrolastic shock caused damage to 50lbs of meat in LHS shoulder area.

Distance was 180 ish.

Deer dropped where it was shot.

Shot placement not issue.

Nice uniform expansion.

I can only assume, as I did not recover my own SST from the Red in question that the shock caused massive bruising to the shoulder area of that particular deer.

Ive shot numerous roe with the 140 SST's and found them excellent, but not that particular time on the larger animal.

Hence the change to 130 Barnes - as most of my stalking is on Reds at the moment with that rifle.

I always have the 25-06 as an alternative using 117g Hornady Interlocks, which are excellent for both species.

I've looked at the TSX. It looks really smart on their video, but I wondered whether it was all a bit of a sales builder what with the four sharp copper bits that open out on impact rather than regular mushrooming! So they perform ok as well as look good? I'll buy some of them too and give them a go.

What's the difference between boat tail and flat base? Apart from the obvious shape difference?

Ronin,

If you have the mind, and can get a hold of a copy of PO Ackley's Handloader's Handbook (Vol 1 and 2), Vol 2 has an interesting chapter that was written about terminal ballistics and their different effects/factors. It was written in the early 20th century by an Army doctor who conducted ballistic tests on several thousand animals. Worth the read...

Just a thought...

Marine

thanks, it is one of the books on my "to get" list.

Vim

I bow to your superior knowledge as a renowned deer expert :(

I am merley a beginner at stalking maybe after another ten years I may be able to see the woods from the trees, the chap who was alongside me when I took the shot has several decades experience and is a game dealer to boot, he never critiised the angle of the shot - go figure :(

I look forward to reading your published works on stalking soon ......

I think, first priority is to drop an animal, possibly on the spot.

Don't give a hoot about a lost shoulder. Not always the case

that an animal stands square on.

Every time my mate shoots a deer with his 6.5 and 156gr megas

the deer just run away. Dead after 100 yds or so but not nice.

edi

njc the flat base bullet is accepted as giving better accuracy out to around 300yds depending a little on weight x calibre. The boat tail bullets reduce drag at longer distances and so stay supersonic for longer, which helps to prevent tumbling of the bullet as it drops below supersonic speeds ( shock waves just like supersonic aircraft), many bullets suffer from it and the bullet makers are still trying to find the ultimate shape that will reliably hold its trajectory until impact.

So unless you are into long range target shooting etc you are as well off with flat base bullets, fo all normal game shooting. This is obviously a complex and wide ranging subject, but I can agree with the basic suposition as I use flat base bullets in nearly all my rifles and have never had a problem with accuracy of rifle and bullets, just with me :(

Redfox

Archived