New build

LONG RANGE CAPT

Ive been thinking about a new .308 since I sold my Accuracy International.

The role of the new rifle would be for deer stalking.

I was thinking of the Tikka T3 Varmint, left handed with 20 inch barrel, synthetic stock. (.308)

But after a chat this evening with a good friend of mine my thoughts are changing.

Now Im thinking Tikka T3 Lite Stainless with barrel chopped to 16 inch. (.308) threaded for moderator.

The reason - light to carry, compact and handy and as mentioned by a my good pal.

The Lewis Machine Tool L129A1 Sharpshooter rifle comes with 1:11 twist (same twist as the T3)

Does anyone have experience or knowledge with this type of set up ?

Kind Regards

Rob

I have an LMT (straight pull) with that 16 inch barrel in 308. I am getting used to it at the moment but it will shoot sub MOA with 155 Palma bullets and180 grain ballistic tips a bit tighter. It is a bit heavy so but the tikka would not be. My TRG is 18 inches and shoots about the same. The T3 lite barrel might get a bit hot with lots of shots but a good choice. Short barrels are ideal for stalking and with 308 you still make the legal FPs and are comfortable with a moderator. The tikka stocks are a bit flimsy in my opinion but there are other options.

Hope this helps

Ive been thinking about a new .308 since I sold my Accuracy International.

The role of the new rifle would be for deer stalking.

I was thinking of the Tikka T3 Varmint, left handed with 20 inch barrel, synthetic stock. (.308)

But after a chat this evening with a good friend of mine my thoughts are changing.

Now Im thinking Tikka T3 Lite Stainless with barrel chopped to 16 inch. (.308) threaded for moderator.

The reason - light to carry, compact and handy and as mentioned by a my good pal.

The Lewis Machine Tool L129A1 Sharpshooter rifle comes with 1:11 twist (same twist as the T3)

Does anyone have experience or knowledge with this type of set up ?

Kind Regards

Rob

Hi Rob if i was making that decision i think i would go with varmint 20" barrel i think the lite 16" would kick like a mule just my opinion i would ask my self what sort of stalking i would be doing ie woodland or open land but all round for the extra wieght i would consider the varmint hope that helps you. Barry

If you can live with a RH action Rob, I have A T3 here waiting to be transformed into a butterfly...

Rob.

@ 15" Zee's still braggin :lol: I know what he's up to and it's naughty :ph34r:

Barry

Kick more??!! Nope! but muzzle blast if not mod'd can induce a flinch in a gentle soul.

Andy.

You know wot these lefties are like..... Just no dealin' with 'em.....

Rob-

the formula you're basically describing (T3 Lite chopped to 16" with mod) is exactly what the local NZ Hunter crew make by the dozen. They sell like hotcakes after guys try them, often during guided hunting. They don't boot like a mule, are accurate, feel balanced to shoot offhand and can still deliver highly acceptable ballistics with the right recipe.

I've got the 7-08 version (which I just love) so I'd have to check with them what the exact load/OAL/bullet version they use for the .308

Chris-NZ

I love my short T3 Rob. Not quite as you describe, but along those lines.

I seem to be building a lot of this style of Tikka of late, and have donors in, plus all the bits, and subject to testing this weekend, an unbelievably good trigger conversion.

Give me a shout if you are interested. ;)

Rob.

Speak to Zaitsev he's running a unit along these lines..... Just 2" longer.... Braggin' begger!

Mine at 20" is a dream if a tad heavier.

Regards.

Ratty.

...and there's a monkey on a cliff somewhere on the west side of the Orange river that remembers your 'dream' :) :)

Mine is 18', Rob has seen it being built from scratch and is a great gun to shoot and point, heavy enough not to get hot when plinking, but not too heavy if you want to carry for a stalk (although I have not proven this theory yet...!). There's a lot to be said for short .308s, particularly for a chap like your good self, who understands ballistics. Zaitsev needs a head examination, fast!!! :) :)

best wishes,

Finman

Archived