Zeiss conquest?

Anyone use a zeiss conquest? I know they dont retail them in the uk anymore but they can be had from the states for peanuts, only problem is warranty is for US residents only. I am thinking either Zeiss conquest 6.5-20X50 or VX111 8.5-25x50, havent heard much about zeiss in a while, just wondering is anyone using them?

I've got a 6.5-20x50 with 4A reticule and target turrets. I would rather have had standard turrets but they weren't available at the time I needed the scope. Its clarity is good- pretty well on a par with my 6-18 Swarovskis, if maybe the slightest fraction less bright. It has held a zero for the three years or so I've had it absolutely perfectly. Its side parallax adjustment seems to have no knowledge of the distances marked on it, but it does work. For the money, it's been a damned good scope and I'm sure it will remain so for many years. I'll probably buy more in the future.

Hi Craigyboy,

I have had a 4.5-14x44 Zeiss Conquest for a few years (US imported) and have been really pleased with it.

Spent quite a time on my .243 and has since been transferred onto my .17 hmr. I would happily buy another and would probably go for the 6.5-20 next time.

Cheers

AndyCN

Just dont expect any warrenty help at all from Ziess GB. A friend of mine bought a ' shop soiled '4x14, had immediate problems with it but Ziess GB just told him to send it back via the USA.

A

Just dont expect any warrenty help at all from Ziess GB. A friend of mine bought a ' shop soiled '4x14, had immediate problems with it but Ziess GB just told him to send it back via the USA.

A

i thought he brought it cheap from ebay???

anyway no matter where he got it from,as far as i know Zeiss don't import this type of scope over here,(well I'm lead to believe they did not bring this one in anyway) it was not an official import,

if you imported a ford mustang yourself into this country, :angry: you would not expect sandiclifs to send it back to the USA, and get them to mend it,then ship it back. :P for free,

come on you don't really think you can cut out all the official channels to get the scope for a far cheaper price than it would have been if it had been brought in to this country officially, and still expect everyone to jump through hoops for you. :)

please tell all the story

If anyone is considering purchasing a Zeiss scope of Ebay from USA read this first

Dear Sir.

I have received a copy of your e-mail (below in blue text) via our Marketing Department.

Hi I have a Zeiss riflescope that's developed a problem, and I wish to have it repaired under Warranty.

Its a Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44 MC

No 521420-9920 Nr3036534

I have to inform you that the riflescope was dispatched from our US offices to an authorised dealer in the USA. The goods have been imported into the UK under a term, which we refer to as a "grey import". The Conquest range of riflescopes are no longer officially distributed in Europe.

I would suggest that you contact your supplier and inform them that they should return it directly to the distributor in the USA (the retailer from whom they purchased the riflescope). If we handle this arrangement, there will be a considerable charge, as we would have to send it to Germany, who would then have to send it to the USA for repair, as the Conquest riflescopes are manufactured in the US for the US market. Please see the answer from our offices in the USA regarding the export of goods from the USA, (This riflescope was shipped to a US distributor in 2005. If your customer needs to have the scope serviced, we would advise him to return it to the retailer from where it was purchased. As you may know, our export restrictions prevent us from shipping riflescopes outside the US unless we have an export license on file for that company).

I would be interested in knowing from where did you purchase the riflescope and where did your retailer purchase the scope?

I appreciate that my answer may not be the answer, that you were looking for, but I have to query the level of advise given to you by your retailer, this is why I would appreciate an answer to my question, because if the source within the UK was an authorised UK, Zeiss dealer then I can take steps to minimise future incidents like yours.

Regards

Sales Manager

Sports Optics Division

Carl Zeiss Ltd

Carl Zeiss Group

I have removed names and tel and email addys as no one needs junk emails or calls

In other words if your scope develops a problem Zeiss UK wash their hands of it and it will cost you a small fortune to ship it back to the USA

i all so know of someone who had a problem with the exact same model of scope, that he brought from bear basin outfitters in the USA. they are one of the largest scope retailers in the USA.

now he to was unfortunate to get a scope with a problem, so contacted the supplier and was told that the scope would have to be returned to the supplier. which was zeiss America, not Zeiss UK.

when he Spock to Zeiss UK they told him basically the same as they did this chap,

so he did not bitch about it he just sent it back to the Zeiss USA, and received a brand new one quite quickly.moral of the story is, don't bitch when you cut out all the official channels, and you save that which promotes growth and vigour loads of cash.

just the way i see it.

ATB

Colin :D

Hi Col,

He did, think it was ' shop soiled' as well. Turned out the seller was a bit of a cowboy as well.

Thanks for putting those other posts up on his problem, I could not find them.

I guess you pay your money and you takes your choice. I have in fairness read several posts on US sites that have all been complimentary. I would not have one though, the other Ziess's yes but not that range.

A

Hi Col,

He did, think it was ' shop soiled' as well. Turned out the seller was a bit of a cowboy as well.

Thanks for putting those other posts up on his problem, I could not find them.

I guess you pay your money and you takes your choice. I have in fairness read several posts on US sites that have all been complimentary. I would not have one though, the other Ziess's yes but not that range.

A

hi Geoff

as far as we can make out, (and maybe mac from of your site could shed some light on the matter) that the only part that comes from Zeiss is the glass?? now i may be wrong on this one :) and lets face it,it defiantly wont be the first time, :P and most certainly will not be the last time i wrong as well. :angry:

now you might think that Zeiss UK not sending the scope back is a bit petty,but you only have to read the forums,and you will soon see the amount of people that are importing the scopes for themselves,thats when you will see how much Zeiss UK would be loosing on shipping and administration, and so on.its all well and good saving cash here there and everywhere,self importing from the USA,but someone has to support the shops,thats what you are paying for,to drop your problem scope on the counter and say here you go this one is Fu--ed,please can i have another one, and the shop keeper,goes in to the back of the shop and sorts you out a nice shiny new one.this entails ringing up said company,telling them what is wrong with scope,then sending it to the importer,who then has to get the paper trail sorted out for customs,(proof they have paid the duty on said goods,so they are not charged it again when it is shipped back) and then of to the manufacture it goes.and then the problem is put right and then the hole process is done again to send it back. o and the shop has to swap all the paperwork around on from the old scope to the new scope the customer left the shop with, (you know to tidy the hole job up for the tax man/vat man) now this all takes time and staff wagers,as he/she is not selling anything wile he/she is sorting out all this paperwork.

you in the mean time are down the range trying out your new scope, and you are blissfully unaware of all this that is going on in the back ground, but we still demand this level of service,and quit rightly so.

personally though there is not a lot of difference in you sending the scope back to Zeiss America your self. its just a matter of a couple of £ shipping. and i do know that they dealt with my m8s scope very fast and it was not a lot of trouble.

i have all so sent a scope back to the USA, (this was not warranty work) it was for the Leupold custom shop for target turrets to be fitted. very very good service,

so its really down to do you want excellent service, or take the chance and role the dice and take a chance on importing one yourself.its up to you.

but don't forget that we would be stuffed with out the shops we relie on for our every day shooting essentials,

and the chance to go and feel them rifles in the flesh,and see if they fit you and so on.

ATB

Colin :D

I do appreciate the need to support local gunshops in the Uk and I do my bit.

Mac who works for Ziess GB is not to forthcoming on the easy questions (like when are we going to get the Rapid range of reticules over here) let alone comment on something he probably cannot authorise or influence.

As I understand it Ziess Germany do not want Conquest over here in Europe as they feel it will devalue their other products in the market. Odd that, BMW and Merc make cars that go from 15K up to 80K, doing something for everyone does not seem to have adversely affected them. Conquest is assembled in the USA but where the parts are sourced from I have no idea.

A

I do appreciate the need to support local gunshops in the Uk and I do my bit.

Mac who works for Ziess GB is not to forthcoming on the easy questions (like when are we going to get the Rapid range of reticules over here) let alone comment on something he probably cannot authorise or influence.

As I understand it Ziess Germany do not want Conquest over here in Europe as they feel it will devalue their other products in the market. Odd that, BMW and Merc make cars that go from 15K up to 80K, doing something for everyone does not seem to have adversely affected them. Conquest is assembled in the USA but where the parts are sourced from I have no idea.

A

hi Geoff

yes I'm with you on that one,

i don't think it would effect them bringing in a cheaper a scope,in fact it would probably bring in the exact opposite, loads more business. variety is the spice of life

ATB

Colin :angry:

Guest northernchris

Meopta "grind/polish" lenses for many of the top Bino/scope manufactures EXCEPT for S+B.This was told to me by 2 people in the trade who visted the Meopta factory.

Lieca do or did do a range of scopes for the US market,all the components came from Leupold EXCEPT for the glass which came from Lieca.

I used Meopta rifle scopes when they 1st hit the uk way back in the mid 80's the glass was and still is one of the best on the market today.

I`ve visited the Meopta factory a couple of times - seen the conquest etc being made - tube an all. Only area I did not go was the lens coating area - sealed aganinst dust etc, so no knowledge of if coatings are proprietry. The lens grinding and polishing is impressive. Last visit was about 1 year ago - so only up todate to then. With a 2K workforce they make alot of "other products".

Ps. S&B have a Hungarian lens production plant (it used to be on their webpage).

David.

• 6 years later...

Well look what i found doing a little search RE recent post

I have a Zeiss Conquest 3-9 on my Tikka 7-08. It is an excellent scope for the money and the combination was perfect. Here the Conquest sells a a price comparable to some of the high end Bushnells ($500 for a 3-9) which makes them an easy choice.~Andrew

Archived