Alternative to Optilock

I have a Sako A5 long action classic (with exceptional wood), that I am currently restoring for myself (into a 275 Rigby)

I will be using a 4-12 x 42 or similar LOW mounted scope

Im not a huge fan of optilocks and wondered about alternatives.

Richard Near would be on the list, although im pretty certain he wont do a mount for the A5.

Are there any other quality manufacturers that you would consider - im looking for Chromoly ringset / bases...

Apel?

Recknagel?

Experiences please.

Don't discount the Optilock ringmounts, as opposed to separate bases and rings. They'll get your objective bell closer to the barrel than bases and even the extra low rings would and you still get to use the Optilock inserts which won't mark your scope's body. What's not to like? I don't know why they aren't more common.

I have a Sako A5 long action classic (with exceptional wood), that I am currently restoring for myself (into a 275 Rigby)

Richard Near would be on the list, although im pretty certain he wont do a mount for the A5.

Are there any other quality manufacturers that you would consider - im looking for Chromoly ringset / bases...

Apel?

Recknagel?

Experiences please.

I like Talley mounts but, not sure if they would fit the dovetail I shall look tonight and get back to you.

If you PM me your address I may have and old set of optilocks as described previously for you to have if you like?

Gandy.

Thanks for the replies.

Basically I am trying to achieve a simple clean line look something like the pics of the Rigby in Garys link photos.

I wouldnt discount Optilocks at all, just was thinking of alternbatives.

Gandy, could you advise what you want for the set you have?

Not really bothered on condition as every bit of the rifle is going for re blue anyway

Hi Ronin,

Take a look at the Ziegler Contra Claw mounts on Alan Rhones website (google Alan Rhone) they might fit the bill for what you are looking for, very sleek & low, fantastic quality. I have them fitted on my 7-08.

Regards Mark

Andy: I have a set of 30mm opti ringmounts with a 3-12x42mm Schmidt sat in them at present. There's maybe 3-4mm twixt barrel and scope. If you use a 1 inch scope (and why wouldn't you?) you can get another 2mm lower. They are available in Chromoly too.

I may go to a low mag variable with 1 inch tube on my stalking rifle yet.. I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that most folks (including me) are over-scoped 99% of the time. A scope that weighs between 12 and 15 oz seems adequate no?

Cmon then Sir, let's see some pics of the lovely wood on that A5 :-)

Regards

Gareth

Apel?

Recknagel?

Experiences please.

Hi Andy

I have looked at Rechnagel for the Borden action project, and cant find anything suitable with the 'right look', I have asked Richard the same question, he doesn't do anything for that action either. So I am going to go with the Unitized Talley Mounts which fit directly to the action with 4 No - 8x40 screws. There is a pic of them on Jim Bordens site in the For Sale tab You might want also to ask Hollands Shooting Supply ( http://www.hollandguns.com ) if they have anything for the Sako A5 ?

http://www.bordenrifles.com/talley_unitized_LG.jpg

ATB

P

Surely a restoration requires original components/equipment?

The smithsons i suggested are lovely, a local gunsmith ( not riflebuilder) is building a best english rifle ( replica) out of an old brno action, the dovetails have been welded up and the action machined so it is unrecognisable, the smithsons have a ball bearing that fits into a hole you have to machine into the action to fix them. He's also changed all screws for hand made english sized ones. Its in the white at the moment but i'll get some pics when its finished. I think border are doing the barrel/chambering, cant remember the calibre, something piggy i think.

There is another alternative: You could use the old Sako ringmounts which were all steel with no inserts. These would look 'right' on your action would enable you to mount the scope very low and I happen to know where there is a set NIB...

Downside is you would be limited to 1inch tube and a small objective. How small I don't know.

There is another alternative: You could use the old Sako ringmounts which were all steel with no inserts. These would look 'right' on your action would enable you to mount the scope very low and I happen to know where there is a set NIB...

Downside is you would be limited to 1inch tube and a small objective. How small I don't know.

If you decide that you want to use original Sako ring mounts of the correct period, I have a selection, in both inch and 26mm....

• 6 months later...

sorry, very late to this post, but what about the very low arundel sights made by craig whitsey in arundel? www.craigwhitseygunmakers.co.uk

Archived