Went to Sportsman Gun Centre today....

Guest martin

Guest martin

Hi,I went down to the S.G.C. in Exeter today,and,I must say it is a fantastic place,with mountains of choice,and, some very helpful staff.I initially went down to have a good look at the Remingtons,because I had virtually made my mind up to get one(.243cal).But,after talking to the owner(Gary Lamburn)I have been thrown a curve ball so to speak.He advised me to go for the Styr Pro Mountain,and,I have to say he did a good job of swaying me.Can you put your 6 eggs in and,tell me what you think of the Steyr's please,especially if you have actually used them before...........................thanks Martin.

Martin,

don't have a Steyr nor a Remington, nor have I ever traded with SGC, but were I to chose between a european make and a remington, I think I would always go for the european. What about Sako's and Tikka's, they are comparable in price (may even be cheaper in the case of the Tikka's) and they are trusted by a lot of people (myself included).

I have heard that one of the steyr's weaknesses is the rotary magazine and the thinness of the stock in order to accomodate this, but I am sure members of this forum who shoot these fine rifles will have something to say about their on hand experiences.

best wishes,

Finman

Buy the rifle that YOU like, the only problems this brand has (IMHO)

"sweated in barrel" - which makes very expensive barrel changes - if you shoot alot, this is a consideration now, before you buy - if the rifle is a 30 deer a year gun then it will last you untill you hang up your boots. If you intend to use it as a range gun shooting 1000's of rounds a year, maybe consider something else.

There is a very thin piece of the stock around the magazine insert and on WOODEN stocks this has been known to crack - havent seen it crack on a composite stock though.

There is an area of weakness on the magazine insert (bottom plastic) - if the stock screws are overtightened the leading edge around the screw hole can crack - seen this on two 308 SSG's

Mag needs to be kept clean to work properly.

Foreend is a bit flexy, but I think this may now have been addressed with an updated version.

Trigger group is held to action by two 4/64th pins in an aluminum hanger - the lugs of the hanger can crack quite easily if jarred - but again if you dont take it out the stock, it shouldnt be a problem.

Ive shot a few SSG's in 308 - all have been excellent shooters.

Hope that helped - sure you will be happy whatever you buy.

I agree, buy what you want but choose wisely. Personally I wouldnt have a Steyr, again for some of the reasons stated. Remingtons are a lot better now and ive seen some that out shoot a lot of other rifles.

Sakos are fine but it depends on your budget and intended/amount of use. If its to be a Stalking/range rifle buy accordingly with the thought of the rebarrel in mind and after market adds ons.

Martin, I have a Steyr pro varmint in .223. I can't fault its fit or build quality. It will shoot sub moa with RG fodder all day and sub 0.5 moa with 60 grn flat based Sierras and a dribble of Varget.

If i have one gripe it's that it missfeeds from the mag constantly.

I emailed Steyr tech and they ignored me. Rang Sportsmans centre and they told me that it was a mag design fault and Steyr had redesigned the mag. On that info i bought a new mag from them only to find that i already had the redesigned mag. The new one was no more reliable, it still hangs up rounds.

My Steyr looks good, tastes good but unlike Mackeson it does my head in. If i cant solve this prob it's out the door and i'll replace it with another Sako.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/pro_varm_2.JPG

Grant..

I regularly shop at the Sportmans and although there have been a few odd problems they've always been sorted and always with a smile. I have been on the receiving end of Gary's sales patter and have watched him with other punters. He's a class act and you really do need to be well armoured to avoid being sold the rifle he's decided is best for you.

Sportmans push Steyrs hard because they are the second-largest dealers in Europe and benefit from the sort of discount that goes with that sort of volume. I bought an SSG last year from Gary as a deer gun and when I tested it on the range could not believe how well it grouped. The stocks on the SSGs are, well, cheap and plasticky but they work well enough. As has been mentioned the area around the front bedding screw can crack but this usually happens when solvent dribbles down there and eats the plastic. If this does happen Sportsman will usually just send you a new bit for free and way you go. These are good guns in .243 or .308 and well protected against the elements. There are stil la few 10-round magazines about as well.

The ProHunters use a completely different action (the SBS or afety Bolt System) and my wife has one of these in .223. The stocks on these are a bit flexible but I like them very much. They have the only safety system that I really trust to carry with a live round in the chamber and the feed and trigger, on my wife's anyway, have ben good. They also do these with wood stocks but personally I think wood just doesn't go with the plastic safety and magazine. Incidentally they all seem to be accurate although not like the SSGs that all seem to be exceptional for a factory gun (half-inch 5-shot groups at 100 yards seems to be generally available and mine does that, and better, routinely).

As for Remingtons I hear that they are better these days but the ones I've handled just didn't have that X-factor that makes you fall in love.

Cornishman.

The current Steyrs are not up to the standard of the excellent SSG.

Martin,

Did they have much of a pre-owned selection? they never advertise used firearms.

Ian.

They did have a few 'V' but only a few at that time.........martin.

Buy what you feel happy with the look and feel of, as most modern rifles are reasonable accurate, or can easily be made accurate, and no rifle is perfect. Dont get swayed by sales patter if they dont want to sell you the gun that YOU want go elsewhere

Ian

• 1 year later...

HAD ONE IN 223

NOW HAVE ONE IN .243.

you will never find a smoother bolt action on the planet (fact),

Very accurate if you do your bit.

best group with 90gr soft points is 0.7" @100 yards.

best group with 70 gr blitzkings 0.82" @ 100 yards, possibly due to the lighter bullet moving around in a 5mph wind.

the mkI for-end stock problems have long gone,

its easy on the eye.

the set trigger is to die for.

easy to clean

easy to work on

love the barley twist barrel.

20" of barrel is a pleasure to shoot and carry around.

ambidextrous but area.

technical/ customer support is first class.

longest fox with the .223 was 327 yards at night with a mate on the trigger

longest fox with the .243 is 270 yards and plenty more to come yet.

needless to say.

the only way you will get mine from me is from my pale dead fingers.

bob.

I'm glad you are getting on with them mate,but,each person has their own ideals,and,as shooting is probably 80% confidence we need to shoot what we like ourselves.I love my Remington,and,I am getting more and more confident with it.......martin.

I think Ronin summed it up. My very first rifle was a steyr tactical elite in .223. While an excellent rifle, the are expensive/problamatic at best to re-barrel. Also they don't seem to hold their value extremely well due to this, if you ever want to sell on. Personally I'd get a sps varmint for £475 and a new stock ie. B&C, HS etc and your at about the same money as a new steyr. Then when you want to sell on or change barrels its relatively painless.

This coming from someone who's gone from styre, to rpa, to remmington and now Sako's :angry: .

I think Ronin summed it up. My very first rifle was a steyr tactical elite in .223. While an excellent rifle, the are expensive/problamatic at best to re-barrel.

Hi Tiff

Re-barreling is still cheaper than buying new and how many people would actually shoot out a .223 barrel or .308 for that matter. I think I'm right in saying the Scout, Tactical and Elite models use a different barrel fit.

I have had the Tactical Elite as well, and agree it is a superb rifle, I'm now currently using a Scout in .243. Looking at the prices of these in The Sportsman, I will be definitely going down the re-barreling route.

I looked at steyrs when i first got into c/f's, i decided to go remmington as it felt good in the hand whereas i read too many bad comments on the steyrs... i was advised SAKO! but couldnt afford it at the time. A few years down the line i have spent more getting the remmy to shoot and handle how i want than it would have cost to get a sako! however i have bought a sako in .243 and im in love with it! the remmy however i just cant bear to take out the cabinet! it like taking a ginger fat bird on a date, you really dont wanna be seen with it. lol Any rifle i buy now will be sako or tikka. I cannnot wait to get the money to get shot of my remaining long action remmy. It just doesnt have the quality of tikka's or sako's.

Its good to hear the positive comments about the Sportsman, I have never been there but I have tried to buy things over the phone and had several nightmares, maybe all the knowledgeable staff work out front and the YTS boys and care in the comunity cases are out the back answering the phone and packing orders with random produce! JC

• 4 years later...

Its good to hear the positive comments about the Sportsman, I have never been there but I have tried to buy things over the phone and had several nightmares, maybe all the knowledgeable staff work out front and the YTS boys and care in the comunity cases are out the back answering the phone and packing orders with random produce! JC

I ordered a scope on the 3rd October from the sportsman gun centre.... This is the third day i have sat In waiting for it to be delivered..... Livid..... I won't be ordering from them again ..... I am not in a rush..... It's the fact... Yes it's coming in today so you will have it tomorrow ..... Then it doesn't come in and NO ONE calls to let you know. The next time.... "its on for today i have checked, you will get it tomorrow". Nothing.... "Came in late so we missed getting it out" ....... Well bloody tell me....... God knows why it isn't here today.... I saw the parcel force van in town at 3.30.... Nothing..... Can you tell I'm not a happy chappie ... Sorry to gripe

I assume the model you are considering has an SBS action.

I really like the Steyr SBS action - I've had 3 (a SSG04 and 2 Scouts) - I think its one of the smoothest and safest actions available. I still have a scout and have no plans to get rid of it.

The SBS mags are double-stack, not rotary and I have never had any probs with them at all. Bear in mind you have to use a conversion kit for 10-rounders if your gun is initially set up for 5-shot mags (they are not interchangeable).

The difficulty in changing barrels is an issue, and is probably the reason they do not hold their value better - if you are going to use it for field (not range) shooting, it'll last a lifetime. Stocks on SSG04 and pro-hunters were a bit flexi, but they never seem to compromise accuracy.

They certainly do shoot well, and in .308, at least, seem pretty forgiving of load. Most reloads will easily group sub moa.

FWIW, I got rid of my SSG04 (used primarily as a range gun) for a custom, which I think I will be able to easily re-barrel and which I hope will be with me for the rest of my life.

I am told that Sportsman tend to push whatever is piling up on the shelf rather than what the customer might actually want!

They can be competitive on price but make sure what you want is actually in stock and on the shelf as they have a rep for taking an order and money then sitting on it for ages before they actually order it in.

I met Gary several years ago at SHOT, he seemed a nice guy but a bit of a 'geezer'/wheeler dealer pile it high and sell it cheap kind of bloke

MArk

Archived