6.5x55ai

Grouse

Really rate my swede improved, for predator control and long range work.

From reading various posts on here it doesn't seem a much talked about cartridge - suppose I am prepared for the "modern cartridges -6.5x47 and .260 do it with less powder", just interested in other educated opinions...

Regards Grouse

Really rate my swede improved, for predator control and long range work.

From reading various posts on here it doesn't seem a much talked about cartridge - suppose I am prepared for the "modern cartridges -6.5x47 and .260 do it with less powder", just interested in other educated opinions...

Regards Grouse

Great cartridge - better than the 6.5-284 in my opinion. Cheap quality Lapua brass but lack of factory dies (although I think Huntington now do them) and non-308 bolt head made it less attractive.

Vince

Interesting points Vince, do you rate it over the 6.5x284 just for the reasons you stated? Never thought of it like that?

Have heard that the 6.5x284 and swede imp's load data are more or less swappable, is this the case in your experience? Realising of course that each rifle exhibit differences in max pressures etc for safety reasons...

It's 6.5 mm , what's not to like ?

+1 I'm a 6.5 fan too. Don't think it matters too much what you push them with it comes down to personal needs and tastes. what bullets do you use?

+1 I'm a 6.5 fan too. Don't think it matters too much what you push them with it comes down to personal needs and tastes. what bullets do you use?

260rem with 140 amax solves all my problems! i keep thinking i'll try the 123g amax but really cant think what it will improve?

Interesting points Vince, do you rate it over the 6.5x284 just for the reasons you stated? Never thought of it like that?

Have heard that the 6.5x284 and swede imp's load data are more or less swappable, is this the case in your experience? Realising of course that each rifle exhibit differences in max pressures etc for safety reasons...

The 6.5x55 AI was popular as a 1000 yard benchrest cartridge before we 'invented' the 6.5-284. The 6.5x55AI makes better use of its powder capacity - i.e. you can fill the case and gives good long range accuracy. I well remember Steve Dunn shooting a 4.25 inch group at a 1000 yard benchrest match at Bisley. The powders that work well in 6.5-284 - like H4831SC and Vit 165 are also good in the 6.5x55 with 139/140gn bullets.

Vince

140 amax are a great bullet. Very consistent within lots now although lot-lot varies a little. don't think you'll gain anything with 123s tried a few boxes in my last barrel but went back to 140s. not even tried them in this barrel don't see the point personally. :)

140 amax are a great bullet. Very consistent within lots now although lot-lot varies a little. don't think you'll gain anything with 123s tried a few boxes in my last barrel but went back to 140s. not even tried them in this barrel don't see the point personally. :)

if they wern't target bullets i think they might kill deer very well to! :ph34r:

I used the 6.5 x 55 AI and got around 2980 fps using 51.8 grains of H4831SC with the Lapua 139 grain Scenar. I used a higher load of 52 grains plus and got 3020 fps, but this showed signs of high pressure on the headstamp, so went back to using 51.8 grain

My fireforming loads were 46 grains and although had a lower Mv, but was very accurate at up to 500 yds, but not good at 1000 yds.

I used the 6.5 x 55 AI and got around 2980 fps using 51.8 grains of H4831SC with the Lapua 139 grain Scenar. I used a higher load of 52 grains plus and got 3020 fps, but this showed signs of high pressure on the headstamp, so went back to using 51.8 grain

My fireforming loads were 46 grains and although had a lower Mv, but was very accurate at up to 500 yds, but not good at 1000 yds.

Nice mate!

Having had a .223ai and been through all the hassle of fireforming the cases and paying a premium price for the dies and neck turning accessories I wouldn't bother with an Ackley Improved calibre again. Yes the cases look gucci and its nice to have something a little different but the hassle really wasn't worth the effort for me.

Suppose its down to individual perception on what you want to get out of a calibre and the time put in to reloading to what you get out in performance.

For me the fireforming loads are as accurate, though 134fps down on the fireformed full power loads (using 142gr SMK) - just means with a new batch of cases I will have an enjoyable couple of days shooting gongs at long range.

Only downside I can see is that the Ackley cases dont load so well out of the magazine (sako 75), which can be a hindrance when taking out a group of deer/goats.

And yes the cases do look GUCCI!

What sort of velocities can you get from the 6.5x55AI?

123gr Amax, 51gr N160 gets me 2985fps

142gr SMK, 50gr N160 gets me 2850fps

95gr Vmax, 49.5gr N150 gets me 3320fps

This is out of a 22" barrel (measured from bolt nose to muzzle).

For my firforming load I can achieve 2716fps with 47.5gr N160 and the 142gr SMK.

The accuracy of all these are all sub 0.5" at 100yds (no longer fire loads of shots at a target in the chase of reducing group sizes at 100 yds).

The 6.5x55 AI was popular as a 1000 yard benchrest cartridge before we 'invented' the 6.5-284. The 6.5x55AI makes better use of its powder capacity - i.e. you can fill the case and gives good long range accuracy. I well remember Steve Dunn shooting a 4.25 inch group at a 1000 yard benchrest match at Bisley. The powders that work well in 6.5-284 - like H4831SC and Vit 165 are also good in the 6.5x55 with 139/140gn bullets.

Vince

Am interested in trying the 140 Amax Vince, do you think the N165 powder would be a better choice for this application and for the 123gr Amax?

Do you have any load data on the swede improved? Not looking at pushing the velocity envelope to the detriment of burning barrel out (though I am a believer that barrels are never intended to go for ever!), but if more velocity is available then I want it (more for the advantage of wind cheating than elevation cheating).

Where does H4831SC powder compare with N160 or N165 - I have always had a liking for Viht powders!

What length barrel did you have, think my velocity loss is down to my short barrel - the trade off in portability/handiness compared to MV.

Certainly when I fired a group from the same guy who built Tikka's rebarelled SAKO my 7 rounds went into .5 easily. Now I am not a particularly good shot but I found the rifle/cartridge sweet to shoot.

A

Where does H4831SC powder compare with N160 or N165 - I have always had a liking for Viht powders!

What length barrel did you have, think my velocity loss is down to my short barrel - the trade off in portability/handiness compared to MV.

Not sure about comparisons between the powders, but am sure that Viht powders are fine, but a fellow shooter at Diggle recommended H4831SC.

The barrel was about 29-30 inches I think.

• 3 weeks later...

Not been here in a while , really liking my 6.5-55 improved ;) - i am running the 123 A-max @3000fps with 50 grains of Viht N160.

I used to run a 26 inch barreled RPA in 6.5-284 ,i ran 140 A-maxs @2800 ( top end in my rifle ) with H4831SC , funny thing is my Tikka T3 6.5-55 Improved with a 24 inch tube will run 140 grain bergers @2900 with no pressure signs at all......

Another cracking long range caliber :)

All the best ,

Ray.............

Archived