A perfect day

baldie

Sometimes you lose track of whats important in life . The phone never stops, working 6 sometimes 7 days a week etc etc.

Its good , nay , very important to step back once in a while.

I took the wife up to the lake district on Monday morning, and we,ve just spent 3 wonderful days there.

Got up on Tuesday, and after a hearty lakeland breakfast, set off through the woods from Ambleside , towards Troutbeck.

Walking quitely through the woods, i managed to show the wife her first wild deer, a Roebuck with what looked like an exceptional head from the 50 yards or so we saw him at. Then his Doe appeared too. The wife was overawed by this.

Pushing on, and out onto the open fell , we saw our first of eight , Golden eagles . She was gobstruck then [which is rare ]

Onto Troutbeck, and the mortal man for a pub lunch.

Before we got there, i spotted quite a few vehicles in a field. :D

Then i heard them.

The wonderful voices , speaking like only a pack of fell hounds can. Lemon and white flashes , hunting up and down the fell at an amazing speed.

We broke for lunch , and returned to see them coming back in over the top, hard at it again.

Then a pretty strenuous climb out, to the top of Loughrigg , where we saw several Ravens. Wifey thought they were crows until i pointed out the larger size, and "fingers" on the wing ends , which she could see through the bino,s. Then a trio appeared and started playing in the air, often turning upside down which was great to see, coupled with their low pitched calls, it was a sight to see.

Beautiful weather which didn,t hamper any of the views either.

We descended leisurely past stock ghyll waterfall, to a couple of pints of Guinness in a friendly pub full of dogs.

If i,d Croaked at the end of that day, it would have been utterly content.

Life isn,t a trial run guys......stop and smell the roses along the way. ;)

Apologies for disturbing your break with the text....

Sounds like you had a memorable time mate,

Sometimes you lose track of whats important in life . The phone never stops, working 6 sometimes 7 days a week etc etc.

Its good , nay , very important to step back once in a while.

I took the wife up to the lake district on Monday morning, and we,ve just spent 3 wonderful days there.

Got up on Tuesday, and after a hearty lakeland breakfast, set off through the woods from Ambleside , towards Troutbeck.

Walking quitely through the woods, i managed to show the wife her first wild deer, a Roebuck with what looked like an exceptional head from the 50 yards or so we saw him at. Then his Doe appeared too. The wife was overawed by this.

Pushing on, and out onto the open fell , we saw our first of eight , Golden eagles . She was gobstruck then [which is rare ]

Onto Troutbeck, and the mortal man for a pub lunch.

Before we got there, i spotted quite a few vehicles in a field. :D

Then i heard them.

The wonderful voices , speaking like only a pack of fell hounds can. Lemon and white flashes , hunting up and down the fell at an amazing speed.

We broke for lunch , and returned to see them coming back in over the top, hard at it again.

Then a pretty strenuous climb out, to the top of Loughrigg , where we saw several Ravens. Wifey thought they were crows until i pointed out the larger size, and "fingers" on the wing ends , which she could see through the bino,s. Then a trio appeared and started playing in the air, often turning upside down which was great to see, coupled with their low pitched calls, it was a sight to see.

Beautiful weather which didn,t hamper any of the views either.

We descended leisurely past stock ghyll waterfall, to a couple of pints of Guinness in a friendly pub full of dogs.

If i,d Croaked at the end of that day, it would have been utterly content.

Life isn,t a trial run guys......stop and smell the roses along the way. ;)

I think that secretly you are angling for your own spot on Countryfile .... mmmmm ms Bradbury in a tent :rolleyes:

Just shows you can get all the enjoyment out of an animal you need without putting a hole in it.

So true.

Absolutly so true what you say about taking what we have for granted. Sadly my wife has been battleing cancer for the last 11 mth and every day,even at work I see and here people moaning,windging and biggering over the slightest of things, I have said to work mates on occasion, god help you if you really had something to moan about ! You see the look in their eyes of guilt when they realise what they have been like.

But thats human nature, theres always someone moaning and there is always someone worse off then yourself.

But one thing I have leared from my own experience is that "As Baldie says" you do have to value the good things in life and realise what is important, It can be taken away from you in a split second.

Sounds like a very enjoyable few days for you and your missus Baldie, good for you fella, let ther be many many more for you guys. ;)

ATB

Steve.

Absolutly so true what you say about taking what we have for granted. Sadly my wife has been battleing cancer for the last 11 mth and every day,even at work I see and here people moaning,windging and biggering over the slightest of things, I have said to work mates on occasion, god help you if you really had something to moan about ! You see the look in their eyes of guilt when they realise what they have been like.

But thats human nature, theres always someone moaning and there is always someone worse off then yourself.

But one thing I have leared from my own experience is that "As Baldie says" you do have to value the good things in life and realise what is important, It can be taken away from you in a split second.

Sounds like a very enjoyable few days for you and your missus Baldie, good for you fella, let ther be many many more for you guys. ;)

ATB

Steve.

very wise words Steve , I know all too well what your going through mate as my wife is fighting it at the minute , second time in

two years ! . I lost my first wife to breast cancer 11 years ago so things are even more poignant . god bless you and your wife my thoughts and prayers are with you both ,and remember never give up :)

Steve sorry to hear that, just waiting for the results of the wifes scan, 3rd lot of bad sh!t in 4 years with her, hope we can get over this one too.

Dave I know what you mean about the Lakes, I was down there last weekend, just me and the two GWPs we ran up Skiddaw then onto Great Calva before running back to Keswick, great afternoon, picked the wife up before going to get a Sunday dinner at the pub, great day out, somethings are more important that shooting. ;)

ATB

B-b

ATB

Steve.

Very true words Steve. I had the unfortunate experience last week that brought this home with a sledgehammer. An apparently healthy guy nearby choked on a pork sandwich and despite mine and others best efforts he sadly died!

Baldie as you commented it is good to appreciate the simple things without taking them for granted, sounds like you did just that.

p.s. are you sure they were golden eagles and not buzzards?

Pretty sure they were eagles.I,ve no doubt i saw the same pair several times, but one of the sightings was pretty close, and the bird had a six foot wingspan. Buzzards are around 4 foot at best i believe. Plus i,ve seen many buzzards, they are common around me.

Doesn,t matter really, they added to the day. :)

So much sorrow in this thread. My old Mam has breast cancer, but caught early, and fingers crossed they,ve got it all. She,s beaten it before. I hope all the other ladies in this thread have the best of luck with their results too.

Archived