So you thought your scope was level?

Elwood

Well I was fairly confident that all my scopes were sitting absolutely level by using a spirit level to firstly get the action level and then sitting a scope in the rings with the spirit level on the elevation drum, and slowly tightening down the screws, slowly and equally being the key.

I have just acquired one of Davy's scope level blocks and have just checked four rifles. One of which was out and crucially probably the most important being my long range F class rifle. I have wondered recently about some of the windage that I have had to put on at 1000 yards, or the lack of!

The levels are very easy to use and quick, the design is simple but accurate. I guess some might say it's quite expensive, but it's a buy once item and cost marginally less than a box of Berger bullets.

I found the easiest way to use it was to place the rifle where you could see direct day light behind the windage and elevation turrets and check for light between the leveling blocks and the bottom of the scope, simples.

Sorry I didn't think of taking a photo before I corrected the scope, duh!

PICT00level.jpg

PICT00level1.jpg

Elwood I love the idea from Davy and will get one if they become available.

I have yet to find any turret with or without caps that is true to within the tolerances needed to level any scope.

The only way I have found to be affective in the absence of a tool like the one you show, is to use a level in conjunction with a plumb line and use the reticle.

ATB

Another excellent idea from Davy

I have an excellent Blaser Bore guide he made, the workmanship is very very good.

Ive used feeler guages to level scopes before, which works well providing the space bettween base of scope and top of picatinny isnt too large.

Another excellent idea from Davy

I have an excellent Blaser Bore guide he made, the workmanship is very very good.

Hehe, I have been meaning to ask you how you got on with the guide, I seem to be building a lot of Blaser guides at the moment, sadly mostly destined for overseas. I have just finished machining a batch of low SAS Wedges (Scope Alignment System) so they need hand finishing which is a job for the Viking and myself and then hope for a good day for the anodising and I have a new design of comparator which I am really pleased.

Archived