Looking for a .308 rifle

Hi all im Richard and im new to the forum very good it is too.

Iv been shooting for many years but just starting to look into long range shooting so im looking at getting a .308 rifle for club use iv looked at a couple but am still unsure, Do you have any recomendations for a good long range rifle?

Iv looked at the Tikka T3 varmint, Steyr SSG 08, SAKO TRG-22 GREEN (Phosphated Barrel) also what scope would you recomend?

Thanks

Depends on your budget and if you just want to buy a rifle and use it or pimp it up over time. If your after an accurate out the box rifle that you can do pretty much anything to buy a remington 700. The TRG is an awesome rifle and is my dream rifle ut the initial out lay is a lot. You can buy a remington 700 PSS for £7-900.

Depends on your budget and if you just want to buy a rifle and use it or pimp it up over time. If your after an accurate out the box rifle that you can do pretty much anything to buy a remington 700. The TRG is an awesome rifle and is my dream rifle ut the initial out lay is a lot. You can buy a remington 700 PSS for £7-900.

Hi not to keen on the remington 700 pps

price is where im in a bit of a dilema as i will just about be able to afford the steyr ssg 08 in sportsmans gun centre for £3668.99 but for £3500 sportsmans have a combo deal with the T3 Tactical, choice of 3 mods and the nightforce 5.5-22x56 scope tempting.

There is a lovely Blaser Tac 2 in 308 for sale on here, shoots as well as the other tactical rifles..... :)

I had a Sako trg22 and it was good accurate,only sold it because I wanted to get to 1000y,the 26" barrel ain,t really for the job.

Considered barnard 07 rifle?

If you have a budget of up to £3500 then theres plenty of options out there for you! Personally i wouldnt buy a new gun as theres so many second hand bargains out there to be had! As said above Ronin has a lovely Tac 2 for sale(if i had the money id of snapped it up by now!).

Out of the ones you've mentioned, the TRG. There's also Blazer,Barnard, AI and DTA. Other than that you are probably looking at semi(Rem 700 etc) or full custom rifles.

If you have a budget of up to £3500 then theres plenty of options out there for you! Personally i wouldnt buy a new gun as theres so many second hand bargains out there to be had! As said above Ronin has a lovely Tac 2 for sale(if i had the money id of snapped it up by now!).

Hi why not new? i was thinking of new because i will know every thing about it ie, how many rounds abuse or neglect.

For gods sake don't spend that sort of money on a Steyr. You have a reasonable budget and a good custom will crop up, in fact if you compromise a little on your scope choice, going for a sightron instead of a Nightforce, you could probably get a new custom build on an Aics.

£3500 will buy you a full blown custom rifle. Get on the phone and ring round the custom builders.

For Christs sake dont waste it on a Steyr.

For Christs sake dont waste it on a Steyr.

Amen!

Is the £3.5K for scope AND rifle or rifle alone?

Start point I'd recommend is sit on your cash until you see a 5-25 Schmidt and Bender at a good secondhand price. Snap it up - should manage to get one sub £2k (just).

Then see what you can get with what's left. :)

Thanks for the input guys iv been looking on the Dolphin gun company sight and all i can say is wow i really like the F Class rifle stocks and love the Interupted fluting :-)

Brown Dog the £3500 is for rifle mod and scope.

Thanks for the input guys iv been looking on the Dolphin gun company sight and all i can say is wow i really like the F Class rifle stocks and love the Interupted fluting :-)

Brown Dog the £3500 is for rifle mod and scope.

John Carr has a 308 built on one of his actions in an AICS for around £2800 listed on Guntrader under JCG Precision

If this rifle is for club use forget a mod. When shooting strings heat haze becomes a serious issue.

Seriously consider the Blaser Tac2, had Ronin been selling it when I was looking for a.308 I would not own a TRG!

You should pick up a nightforce for less than grand. Don't let folk talk you into a Schmidt Ffp. For normal known distance target shooting during daylight hours you will not get better value.

Just ensure the turrets and reticle are the same, mil/mil or moa/moa.

As has been said already , DONOT drop that amount of coin on a bloody Steyr 08 , IF you have the coin to get the best , forget the rest and get the best , AI AW , its that simple .

IF not look at others , but do your home work , as to the Sako TRG series , had a 21 & now have a 22 , also had experience with the 41/42 series , I like the Sako TRG42 in 338LM over the TRG22 , its smoother and more reliable in feeding from the magazine , the 22 uses a double stack , single feed posn mag , and I and others have had failures to feed ( ie jams ) , that is NOT what you want to hear , it happens enought to be a niggeling concern at the back of your mind .

I have a quite a few 308 Tac type rifles , and trust me when I say , their are ONLY 2 , I will pick up IF the SHTF , one is an AI AW , the other is a Parker Hale M85 .

New , your choice is down to a AW , nothing else will do .

Second hand , then you also have a Parker Hale M85 as an option , however they are getting to be very rare these days .

Later Chris

John Carr has a 308 built on one of his actions in an AICS for around £2800 listed on Guntrader under JCG Precision

Just found it, its only single shot and a tad long for when i eventually get some deer shooting.

As has been said already , DONOT drop that amount of coin on a bloody Steyr 08 , IF you have the coin to get the best , forget the rest and get the best , AI AW , its that simple .

IF not look at others , but do your home work , as to the Sako TRG series , had a 21 & now have a 22 , also had experience with the 41/42 series , I like the Sako TRG42 in 338LM over the TRG22 , its smoother and more reliable in feeding from the magazine , the 22 uses a double stack , single feed posn mag , and I and others have had failures to feed ( ie jams ) , that is NOT what you want to hear , it happens enought to be a niggeling concern at the back of your mind .

I have a quite a few 308 Tac type rifles , and trust me when I say , their are ONLY 2 , I will pick up IF the SHTF , one is an AI AW , the other is a Parker Hale M85 .

New , your choice is down to a AW , nothing else will do .

Second hand , then you also have a Parker Hale M85 as an option , however they are getting to be very rare these days .

Later Chris

Thanks il take a look at those as well.

If this rifle is for club use forget a mod. When shooting strings heat haze becomes a serious issue.

Seriously consider the Blaser Tac2, had Ronin been selling it when I was looking for a.308 I would not own a TRG!

You should pick up a nightforce for less than grand. Don't let folk talk you into a Schmidt Ffp. For normal known distance target shooting during daylight hours you will not get better value.

Just ensure the turrets and reticle are the same, mil/mil or moa/moa.

Hi the mod is for when i eventually find some deer shooting, so prob wont use down the club anyway.

looked at the Tac2 nice but not sure,i will remember the scope advice thanks.

Archived