Help Please

tulkyuk

Hi, I have just bought a brand new Tikka T3 Hunter .223 with a 1:12 twist ( i think - barrel not stamped with twist rate) - i have tried three different factory ammo bullets ( reloading gear coming next year hpefully), 50grn remington accutip, 50grn american eagle, and 55grn privies ( i know ;) - but were just used to wear the barrell in), i cannot get it to group at all.

would a lighter grn bullet be better in a 1:12 twist or heavier ???

any help from you boys/girls would be most helpful

When i say not grouping i mean :-

ameriacan eagle grouped at about 2- 3 inch at 100yrds and the remington wouldn't touch the paper - even at 50yrds the group was about 6 inch or so.

Hi tulky,

If you have got a 1 in 12 twist it should be good with most bullets from 40g up to 55g or even 60g ????

Have you check that every thing is tight (all the bolts on the action and the scope??)

I can,t understand why the groups are so big ?? even with factory ammo, I would of thought that it would off shot at least 1moa

Did you run the barrel in propperly????

And with a good bore guide??

The best factory bullets that my 223 liked were samson, These would group under one inch!!!!

Try and get some if you can??? They were cheap aswell if i remember

If you need some help give us a ring and i will try and help ;)

All the best matey

oops,

sounds more like scope loose.

I used the 50gr american eagle (fed) for a while in 223, they

where great and grouped around 1/2" with my 1in12" twist.

Maybe go through all the mechanics again. Stock tight, scope tight.

edi

Hi tulkyuk

I don't know whether Tikka and Sako share the same design with their recoil lug, but it is worth checking: the recoil lug, in the Sako at least, is fixed to the receiver with a small screw. If this is lose, your rifle will not shoot, as the recoil lug has a lot of play and the receiver is at a different position each time. I have had the same frustration with my 6.5x55 and tightening this screw (which, when we took the action out of the stock, allowed the recoil lug to freely move back and forth), gave amazing accuracy. It is very irregular for rifles from either Tikka or Sako not to shoot.

But, indeed, as Andrew suggested, make sure that your scope is not out of action as well.

Hope this helps. Let us know whether you managed to sort this out,

best wishes,

Finman

i have just cheked every thing - even had the action out and retightened the screws, the scope came off off my Sako 243 with the rings still attached (optilocks) and just bought a new set of bases, i've had the bases off again and have put them back on, so hope this helps - i'll try it out again tommorow and report back with what happens.

cheers for all your help boys

All Tikka T3s in .223 have a 1 in 8" twist so are more than capable of dealing with heavier bullets. Having said that, weight is not the issue in how stable a bullet is in flight with regards to twist rate, It's the length of the bullet, how much bearing surface there is and where on the bullet the centre of the bearing surface lies. Now there lies a subject that could fill a forum to it's hilt...

Tullyuk. I would try another scope just in case. These rifles are supposed to be test fired to ensure MOA accuracy before leaving the factory.

To check your twist rate try this method.

Insert a cleaning rod with a drop of oil on the patch half way down the barrel. Mark the rod with a felt tip pen at the point where the rod disappears at the bolt bridge. Withdraw the rod till the mark has turned 360 degs and mark the rod again. Now measure the distance between the two and you have your twist rate.

It should be 8" according to Tikkas own data.

All the best..

Grant...

Update. Just found another source of data and Tikka did make some with 1 in 12" twists..

Guest 308Panther

Oh-Oh.... ;)

Tech specs on a Tikka Hunter T3 from Tikka's website lists it as 1:12 or 1:8 in .223

A 1:8 may to fast for the lighter ones...Try running some 70 somethings thru it and see what it does.

Was this thing cut for a mod?

If it was try shooting it with out.

If it still dont group....Contact factory rep. and have the factory check it out.

308Panther

It did not come factory threaded, but i have had it done by a very good source ( Foxing2night knows who).

The Mod is a brand new T8 scout ( so shouldbe fine) - i'll try it tommorow without the mod on aswell to see what happens.

just hope its not a last shift on a friday afternoon special ;)

Scope is fine as far as i know, i can get my Sako 243 to give me cloverleaf groups at 100yds with it on that.

I have to agree with Andrew, if everything is tight, a scope of known accuracy is used and still does not shoot, take it back.

Dont be afraid to do this, under the Sale of Goods Act you have a right to goods that are fit for purpose, if this rifle does not shoot it is not fit for purpose and the retailer must refund you your money or give you a new replacement.

Do not let the retailer talk you into having it tested/checked/repaired because as you soon as you do that you loose the right for replacement/refund and the retailer knows this.

Ian.

Guest 308Panther
Ya right Panther... Look before i post comes to mind...lol..

;) ....Whew...

Had me worried for a sec...LOL

I looked at the specs 3 x ...Just to make sure I had it right.

The first time I looked at it...I read it as a .223 Mag

as the length column is right next to the twist column.

Then I got thinkin...when in the world did they come out with a .223 MAG?

308Panther

Check the crown it may be poor or marked in threading, would explain the inaccuracy, look under a magnifying glass for any marks or unevenness. Your threader should be able to recrown it for you if this is the case.

These normally will group excellently in 223 so there has to be a reason for it.

Redfox

It did not come factory threaded, but i have had it done by a very good source ( Foxing2night knows who).

The Mod is a brand new T8 scout ( so shouldbe fine) - i'll try it tommorow without the mod on aswell to see what happens.

just hope its not a last shift on a friday afternoon special :rolleyes:

Scope is fine as far as i know, i can get my Sako 243 to give me cloverleaf groups at 100yds with it on that.

Oh! You had it threaded for a Moderator. I agree with everyone else: Check every aspect of the work. ~Andrew

Should have bought my Cooper :rolleyes:

I know but the deal i had on a new gun seemed good at the time :rolleyes: - still havent had chance to take it out again today ( damn wife forced me to take her christmas shopping).

But tommorow morning is set up so i'll report back to you lot then

thanks for all the help so far though boys :angry:

Well it think its sorting its self out?? I took it out this morning and have put about 30 rounds through it. below are a few picture of the groups it shot

first group was with 40grn Norma with Hornady vmax heads

DSC00158.jpg

then i cleaned it and put through 55grn fedral Power shock soft points which weren't so good

DSC00159.jpg

so decided to take the mod of, clean it again with a bore snake and try it with the 40grn again, this time it grouped really well

DSC00157.jpg

so mod back on and 40grn again - not a bad group

DSC00156.jpg

So then thought try the 55grn again after a clean(with the mod on) - first 2 shots spot on then i had a flyer 2 inch high ;)

DSC00154.jpg

so clean again and back to the 40grn rounds with the mod on

DSC00155.jpg

So now i think it's starting to shoot ok, but what do you boys think????

Guest varmartin

I still think you have got problems...

A. how many rounds have you put through it since you last cleaned it with a rod/patch and solvents ??

B. What magnification on the scope do you shoot at for 100 yards.?

C. What is the twist rate of your barrel 1~12 or 1~8

If it is 1~8 then you must try some heaver heads as 40`s may be over stabilized..

Though saying that the 40 grain Norma/Vmax are not to bad with the mod on, so keep the mod on , give it a good clean and re check it.

Martin

Archived