first time out with the 6mmSLR

dannyt

Well i took the 6mm SLR out for a test run today at Bisley With the Dorset rifleman club,and what a good sett of rifle men they are too.

I had done no load development at all no case trimming or sorting just about had time to put a cci br2 primer in filled the case with 43.5grns of 4831sc ,and put a Berger 105 hybred on top and set it bach 15 thou from the lands.(lapua brass)

first distance 300 at bisley we shot a 73x8 not a winning score by any means but not sloppy at all with the zero tune method :wacko: b

Then we shot 600yrds with a 71x4 showing signs of load work needed but shows all the promise of a great little chambering.

actoin trued Remmy/trigger jewel

stock Macmillan A3

Barrel Pacnor 7.5 twist 31inches

sorry i have not had time to do any chrono work ,having only put 14 rnds down the barrel to get a zero for the scope .

thanks for the good company today everybody and hope to see you all soon.

Danny

I just noted your using a 31" barrel!

What is the intended use for this rifle? That it's one long barrel

Well the barrel was intended to be a heavy palm contour , but turned up just palmer contour , i intended to use it for F Class short range say out to 800 yrds . Had the barrel been as ordered i would of put it on a stolle action and put it in an target stock.

Any way i have put it on a Tactical style Remmy action , and iam going to test it a fair bit more and then cut the barrel down to 26 inches thread it for a mod and brake coat it black and use it for a tactical type range gun just for fun use and Mcqueens type range days.

the round shows real promise(as per 6mmar.com site states) so i would like to build a full blown F Class rig later this spring . Its realy nice to shoot a 6mm on range days for fun and as Elwood showed us all last year there,s loads of life in the 6mm for comps

A good day out and a lot of fun catching up with you guys.

Looks an interesting caliber.

Will be good to see the results with 115 DTACs and also if Winchester brass is easier to form.

Cheers

Dave

A good day out and a lot of fun catching up with you guys.

Looks an interesting caliber.

Will be good to see the results with 115 DTACs and also if Winchester brass is easier to form.

Cheers

Dave

Hope to do exactly that when mine is ready to pickup.

• 5 weeks later...

Well i took the 6mm SLR out for a test run today at Bisley With the Dorset rifleman club,and what a good sett of rifle men they are too.

I had done no load development at all no case trimming or sorting just about had time to put a cci br2 primer in filled the case with 43.5grns of 4831sc ,and put a Berger 105 hybred on top and set it bach 15 thou from the lands.(lapua brass)

first distance 300 at bisley we shot a 73x8 not a winning score by any means but not sloppy at all with the zero tune method :wacko: b

Then we shot 600yrds with a 71x4 showing signs of load work needed but shows all the promise of a great little chambering.

actoin trued Remmy/trigger jewel

stock Macmillan A3

Barrel Pacnor 7.5 twist 31inches

sorry i have not had time to do any chrono work ,having only put 14 rnds down the barrel to get a zero for the scope .

thanks for the good company today everybody and hope to see you all soon.

Danny

Danny....any updates on load development for the 6mm SLR??

Danny....any updates on load development for the 6mm SLR??

Dave I havent done any more with the SLR . Ive been chambering and makeing my F Class main gun for this season (7mm shehane )and doing some load development on that , since Diggle isnt far away this will Take up most of my Range time until April.

I have done no more tweeking with the load for the SLR as it shot so well .

Iam going to base all my time on the 105 berger hybred until proved other wise as the BC seems to be close to the DTACS , the thing i will try is Vit 160 againt H4831 to see which one gives me the best ES .

I only intend to use it for sort range shooting (out to 800yrds) Hence the bullet choice .

Also 1 - 8 barrels are far more common than 7.5 twist barrels if needed.

I will also try winchester brass as the lapua brass is as been reported very much thicker across the hole shoulder not just the base of the neck.

This will all be hope fully done For Diggle , So if the winds are kind i will give it a spin , but my first tests have been more than could be expected from the old 243 case .

Danny

What is this SLR chambering capable of with say 115 DTACs?

I'm thinking of comparisons with the 6 Hot.

Chris-NZ

3100 FPS and a bit more if you push it .

Dave I havent done any more with the SLR . Ive been chambering and makeing my F Class main gun for this season (7mm shehane )and doing some load development on that , since Diggle isnt far away this will Take up most of my Range time until April.

I have done no more tweeking with the load for the SLR as it shot so well .

Iam going to base all my time on the 105 berger hybred until proved other wise as the BC seems to be close to the DTACS , the thing i will try is Vit 160 againt H4831 to see which one gives me the best ES .

I only intend to use it for sort range shooting (out to 800yrds) Hence the bullet choice .

Also 1 - 8 barrels are far more common than 7.5 twist barrels if needed.

I will also try winchester brass as the lapua brass is as been reported very much thicker across the hole shoulder not just the base of the neck.

This will all be hope fully done For Diggle , So if the winds are kind i will give it a spin , but my first tests have been more than could be expected from the old 243 case .

Danny

Danny ..Thanks for the feedback.... hope to start on mine soon!

Archived