It is worth it.

1967spud

I've just spent all day loading 50 rounds for my .284 Shehane now i have a full load. Any way i followed all procedures to give a precise uniform consistant bullet from first shot to last shot.

Then i weighed all [50] of them. This was the complete bullet including case primer powder and tip.

I was pleasantly suprised to have an overall deviation from heaviest to lightest of 0.216 grains

I can live with that.

Know what your saying spud but the flipside is I find reloading quite relaxing as you have to concentrate but not think too much if you know what I mean?

I also find it satisfying when shooting and it give me a bit more confidence.

I was getting serious vertical variations from box to box at 1000 yards last weekend with some Saffie milsurp in my AI which surprised me as they all came from the same battle pack. A quick weigh showed variances of up to 5 grains between batches and that was only a check across 12-15 rounds, no doubt there were worse cases that I did not measure. This would explain why one box would keep me in the 5 ring and better and the next box was off the target...

It was very cheap but I do wonder if it is worth the hassle and I will go back to AMA milsurp for plinking when this lot has gone.

i suppose it falls into the milsurp standards Dave, i can see uk f class next yesr getting more involved and the tolerances coming down yet more just to stay competitive let alone win any thing

not allowing for wind calling

Don't disparage all milsurp.

MEN 7.62 for example is a reasonably accurate round and there are plenty more examples.

The main difference is usually the projectile quality. The cases and load weights are certainly very good in the MEN, in fact my gunsmith used to do Mexican handloads with it, ie pull the FMJ and just reseat a 155 Sierra and they shot damn near as well as anything

Chris-NZ

Agreed Chris, some Milsurp is very good, the Danish AMA 7,62x51 will consistantly give me a tad under 1 MOA at 650 yards and shoots very welll at 1000 yards. It is cheap as well (Probably because the locals refuse to use it) The South African stuff was actually more expensive...

go to the range and shoot a few x20 strings with weighed stuff v not sorted and see if you shoot better scores ,as long as you shoot better scores then its worth it ,

i tried it and it didnt for me so i stopped weighing cases and bullets ,just load and shoot now

but if you enjoy it then go for it

In the bad old days of VERY variable RG 7.62 issued for big TR matches, some competitors starting taking scales to the range and weighing the rounds they'd been handed. I'm told a remarkable improvement in performance consistency was sometimes achieved through batching and/or using the really out of the norm examples for sighting shots.

i treat my reloading as a hobby in its own right and hope to do a lot more in 2013 with a new calibre.

would you recomend this prosess for every one that reloads or just for serious target shooters and would a 6br benefit from this

i defintly reccomend it, what ever you can do to your reloaded rounds that makes them more uniform and consitant is the goal

I think spud is planning a 338 ackleyed shehane long necked, belted ,tight necked spudziller wind bucking super flat

ultra long range dangerous game come target dual role custom jobbie. but hes having abit of a job getting the reamer sorted.

I think spud is planning a 338 ackleyed shehane long necked, belted ,tight necked spudziller wind bucking super flat

ultra long range dangerous game come target dual role custom jobbie. but hes having abit of a job getting the reamer sorted.

getting the reamer was the easy bit , gettng a stock is the hardest

Sounds like every mans dream!! Happy new year to you fella..

So spud.. give us a run down of what you fancy!?

Ive got a 7mm slot on my ticket but not sure what chamber to go for and whether to go the whole hog and have a dedicated target rifle..

Just on this subject guys i loaded up 6 round batches of .222, i used hornady brass reloader 7 remington 7 1/2 primer and nosler 40gr ballistic tip. I weighed the loaded rounds and found they had a variation of 1.4 grains over the 6, anyone any idea where this variation is coming from? With one of the batches i weighed each powder charge individually and still got the variation?

Just on this subject guys i loaded up 6 round batches of .222, i used hornady brass reloader 7 remington 7 1/2 primer and nosler 40gr ballistic tip. I weighed the loaded rounds and found they had a variation of 1.4 grains over the 6, anyone any idea where this variation is coming from? With one of the batches i weighed each powder charge individually and still got the variation?

from the brass

Archived