17 Rem loads with Viht powder

Toby

Vhit n150 - 22.5 to 23.5 grains

Work all loads up as they may not be suitable for you gun.

3800-3888 fps

Is that real time Mark or quickload simulation.

I would honestly say the best powder is N135.

My first fox rifle was a Sako .17 Rem and I ran this for over 10 years and 2 barrels. I tried a lot of powders in that time and 135 came out the best.

I personally think 150 would not be my choice to start as most .17 Rems have short barrels and are more suited to a faster powder.

My rifle used to give 3950 fps with the old Hornady 25 gn BTHP as V max were only coming in in .17 when I got rid of the rifle. I was seduced by a .22-250 AI

Cheers

Dave

Is that real time Mark or quickload simulation.

I would honestly say the best powder is N135.

My first fox rifle was a Sako .17 Rem and I ran this for over 10 years and 2 barrels. I tried a lot of powders in that time and 135 came out the best.

I personally think 150 would not be my choice to start as most .17 Rems have short barrels and are more suited to a faster powder.

My rifle used to give 3950 fps with the old Hornady 25 gn BTHP as V max were only coming in in .17 when I got rid of the rifle. I was seduced by a .22-250 AI

Cheers

Dave

Dave they were quoted speeds id founsd with that load info for that make of bullet powder combo

I have had 4 or 5 - 17 rem rifles over the years and tested them with lots of different powder and bullet combo's

I found either Vit 135 or Vit 133 to give the best consistant results.

I currently use V133 as it is the powder I use in my 223 - so it is convenient.

I get 4060 fps from my 24 inch Shilen barrel.

ATB

Alan

No joy there. 204 Ruger smallest cartridge. I have heard rumours that Hornady had some load data with Viht powders but I haven't found anything yet.

ATB Toby

TOBY-viht stopped publishing load data for 17rem a few years now,hogdons wont/will not publish viht load data.

i have had a 17rem for a fair few years now and tested a lot of powders over those years for my own rifle these are my prefered powders in order of best accuracy not velocity .the 17rem does need the small bullets driven fast but there is a point where a chronograph and the groups will tell you what the maximum velocity versus accuracy is with your rifle.

for the 20 vmax my pet load is 24.3gns viht n135 this gives 4200fps out of a 24"bbl this load has stopped a lot of foxes over the years more than all my other rifles combined.

next best are BLC-2 ,H322.

for the 25vmax the best accuracy i got was with varget 22.0gnsstart going to 24gns should get you to 4000fps .viht 135 is good but not very accurate again blc2 and h322 are good.

h380 is also good but i found it very primer fussy it could have been that one tub but i didnt chase something that wasnt there.

as for primers i only use rem 71/2 no point messing with any others.

the above data is safe in my rifle with a tight neck custom bbl, start low work up in .2gn increases in powder.the 17rem likes to kick you in the teeth if you get giddy.

As Gary says above work your loads up in .2gns watch for pressure signs ...ive just stopped using the vit powder in my 17..and tried varget and was pretty made up with 1st load worked up and found a load shooting over chrono was 3910 from my 22inch barrel..and shooting .2 groups at 100 mtrs start at 22 work up to 24.5 max

• 8 months later...

I'm currently using Varget behind 25grVmax and am very happy with the results. But have N135 after a bulk purchase. What manufacturers rifles are you using it in?

TIKKA M595- rebarreled after melting the factory bbl with a lilja tikka contour.i have just load tested some 25gn berger varminters from MR FOX. and best powder by a fair way is -varget with a ppu primer over the chrono i get 3980fps i squeezed a load over 4000fps but the barn door syndrome turned up..where did the 135 come from dare i ask?

• 3 years later...

Resurrecting this thread from the depths.... Anyone have any updates or more info on Viht powders with the 17 Rem? I want to try N135 with 20gr and 25gr bullets. Have used N140 but groups weren't great.

Jagged- the only 2 viht powders i would use in the .17rem are n133 or/andn135 as iv said in the above posts n135 is my choice. the key to the .17rem is velocity -v -pressure .of all the calibres i have or had the .17rem seems to be the one you have to keep a keen eye on for pressure i think its the case design. n140 i think is too slow for such a small case/powder combo beg borrow or steal some 135/ 133 and give then a whirl .varget is also a good alternative.

just testing some .17gn bullets from Henry Krank @£5.50/100 show promise im going to test some more this weekend they are shooting really good in my fireball.

Tony,

Data taken from the Vihtavouri 2002 manual

Barrel = 22" (stated to be a 1:16" twist, but this is an error in the text, the next entry being the 22 Hornet which uses a 1:16" twist)
Bullet = 25 gr Remington HP PowerLokt
COAL = 2.145"
Powder = N135
Charge (max) = 22.8 gr
Velocity (at max charge) = 4,040 fps

Hope this helps?

Neil

Not with a 1-16 barrel ?

Just copied out what's in the manual. The next entry is the 22 Hornet, which is stated to use a 1:16" barrel, so it's probably just an subbing error when the publication was created 14 years ago. It's normally 1:9" isn't it?

Thanks chaps, much appreciated. Gary, you're certainly right about the N140, velocity was not great along with mediocre accuracy. I have a tube of 135 so will work up with RP brass and Rem primers. Those bullets from Kranks look interesting, let me know how they work out for you.

Just copied out what's in the manual. The next entry is the 22 Hornet, which is stated to use a 1:16" barrel, so it's probably just an error in their data. It's normally 1:9" isn't it?

1-9 or 1-10

Archived