An other good fox night

sir-slots-alot

Had another good nights foxing last night.

I took my 223 rem and a healthy supply of 53 grn Vamx with me.

Mounted on my rifle is a 6 mag NV scope. As normal the night started with a bit of practice.

Always good to put a few rounds through paper - gives you confidence in your kit and ability.

The night started really well - a few squeaks and like a ghost , the fox seemed to appear from nowhere.

The shot was little ove 90 yrds and the bullets slammed home - a front bib shot.

I decided to continue calling - I was convinced there would be others around.

A few minuites later, I could see the familiar eye shine of a fox. It was much more nervious than the first and

had undoubtedly heard the first shot. It stayed in the next field , but kept peeping from beneath a hawthorn hedge

I knew I couldn't creep any closer - everywhere was frozen - and each footstep crunched out a warning.

After 10mins of gentle calls and squeaks it presented its self . it stood side on - this side of the hedge.

I knew it was a good 250 yrds away. But I decided to take the shot.

The Vmax hit just behind the front leg - and charlie dropped on the spot - I paced over to

where it lay - it was 278 large paces - The furthest I have ever taken a fox with NV before.

Before the night was over - another 4 fox joined this pair.

Couple of Photos from last nights proceedings

Snapshot4.jpg

Snapshot6.jpg

ATB and a Happy Christmas

Alan

Sounds like a good night Alan, great pictures.

Did the shutter operating on the camera spook the foxes?

What range were the two in the pictures?

Merry Christmas buddy

Steve

Thanks Chaps. B)

The fox in photo one is 90 yrds - The second photo was taken at about 120 yrds.

The shots were video'd - so no shutter noise - these are just a couple of still photo's taken from the video's.

ATB

Alan

Thanks for this, Alan - good night's shooting, and fascinating pictures too. Did you have a companion? Otherwise I can't understand how you managed to get those video stills as well as wielding the rifle... Lamping on your own is damn difficult - I tried various approaches quite a few years ago and gave it up as a bad job! Admittedly I didn't have NV kit but even so.

Anyway, congratulations, and thanks for the contribution.

Tony

Thanks for this, Alan - good night's shooting, and fascinating pictures too. Did you have a companion? Otherwise I can't understand how you managed to get those video stills as well as wielding the rifle... Lamping on your own is damn difficult - I tried various approaches quite a few years ago and gave it up as a bad job! Admittedly I didn't have NV kit but even so.

Anyway, congratulations, and thanks for the contribution.

Tony

Tony I believe he uses a camera on the back of his NV scope and would have taken the still image through the vid or taken it from the video footage afterwards. I'd guess the latter.

How's that scope working out?

Regards,

Si

Tony I believe he uses a camera on the back of his NV scope and would have taken the still image through the vid or taken it from the video footage afterwards. I'd guess the latter.

Regards,

Si

Si, I'm sure you're right about Alan's setup, but no matter how slick it is I am impressed by anyone who can cope with filming/shooting pics at the same time as trying to zap a fox at night! I find it hard enough in the daytime...

Scope looks great, taking it to the range on Thursday.

Regards, Tony

Regards,

Si

HI Si - Scope is working a treat,

Tony - The still photo's are taken from the video.

I thought I would share the actual video with you too.

Thanks for the comments gents

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd4iYlBPil4

ATB

Alan

Nice video Alan. Just a quick question if you don't mind. As someone who's still relatively new to fox shooting,(me) would you advokate chest shots or head shots most of the time? Cheers and Happy New Year.

Nice video Alan. Just a quick question if you don't mind. As someone who's still relatively new to fox shooting,(me) would you advokate chest shots or head shots most of the time? Cheers and Happy New Year.

Cheers Gaz ( minkstones mate )

Hi WB - Personally - I prefer a boiler room shot every time - always a risk of hitting the jaw with head shots.

Not sure what other people think on here - lot of really experienced guys - What do you thnk lads.

Agian thank for all the people who posted comments.

ATB

Alan

Hi WB - Personally - I prefer a boiler room shot every time - always a risk of hitting the jaw with head shots.

Not sure what other people think on here - lot of really experienced guys - What do you thnk lads.

ATB

Alan

Yes boiler room for me. :)

ATB

Alan

99% of the time its boiler room, only head shoot if they're facing head on and drop on their bellies trying to hide from the lamp

rgds jock

Archived