22/250 loads

jimmy milnes

hi all,

new and very green to reloading so please bare with me, what im after is tried and tested loads to try in my rem 700 stainless heavy barrel 22/250, i realise that i would be wise to work up to these loads for safety reasons but any recipes would be greatly recived, the only thing im 99% sure of is i fancy using 50 grain v max

many thanks in advance

jimmy

hi all,

new and very green to reloading so please bare with me, what im after is tried and tested loads to try in my rem 700 stainless heavy barrel 22/250, i realise that i would be wise to work up to these loads for safety reasons but any recipes would be greatly recived, the only thing im 99% sure of is i fancy using 50 grain v max

many thanks in advance

jimmy

Welcome to the site, what powder do you have in stock and ill find you some loads

Welcome to the site, what powder do you have in stock and ill find you some loads

hi spud

thanks for the fast reply ive not invested in any powder as yet as im open to sugestions ive been told a good option is vit 140, what would be your recomendation though please ?

cheers

jimmy

Welcome Jimmy, over the years I've had three 22-250's, and the powders that have worked for me H4895, Varget and the one I currently use Vit. N140.

I can't comment on the 50 grainers, as I've always used 55g Vmax moly's in my 1:14's.

Good luck finding an accurate load.

depending on the twist of your trifle the new 53gr vmax are stunning over a stout load of rl17 around 3850fps in my savage , the most accurate and destructive load I have ever used in the 250 ;)

Aye up Jim, Have you still got the 243 or have you seen the light

Why didn't you just give me a ring and i could dig some books out plus I use n140 in the 308 ;) .

ATB Paul.

Hi Jimmy

never had a through and through with the Amax, very very effective on foxes from 50yrd to 300yds and bunnies at all ranges also, in fact I would say the Amax is very explosive on varmints of all types

cheers

Ian

Hi Jimmy

never had a through and through with the Amax, very very effective on foxes from 50yrd to 300yds and bunnies at all ranges also, in fact I would say the Amax is very explosive on varmints of all types

cheers

Ian

hi.moved on to 55gn bullets now but varget with 50 v max was always pretty good- 36gns giving in the region of 3650fps.no need to load heavy for this cal as all you will do is burn out the barrel much quicker.I would recc to you the following book which is less than a tenner and covers all powders and bullets you can think of-it's stocked by norman clark and it's called-one book/one calibre-the complete reloading manual for the 22-250 rem.a.t.b richard.p.s. the 53 a max came out after and has good reports with a better b.c but twist rate is pretty important with this bullet i'm told.

thanks for all the info guys, ive been using factory rounds until now but six months ago i splashed out on a rcbs rock chucker kit and its been sat unused due to lack of space to set up but my dad has kindly cleared me some in his studio so over the xmas shut down i intend to set it all up and give it a go for the 22/250 and if alls well ill progress to loading for my 25/06

many thanks again and please keep the sugestions comming

jimmy

hi all,

many thanks in advance

jimmy

hi jimmy

have had my 22-250 rem 700 for 8 yrs now, bought 2nd hand and rebarreled with ss lother walther heavy barrel,1 in 14 twist

have had v good results with all the following, 50g v-max with 36g varget

50g nosler balistic tip with 34.5g varget

50g speer tnt hollow point with 33g BLC2

all with CCI large rifle primer

cheers jock

I shoot 55gr sierra blitzking, or 55gr Vmax which are actually very slightly tighter but loaded loads of blitz up so when I have run out of those will pro stick with Vmax. In a CZ 550 1:14 varmint barrel. I use 36gr of R15 with above bullets pushing at around 3650 (need to chrony them yet) and they shoot with my help at .25 inch. I love my 22-250. Awesome fun calibre.

well guys as i said at the start of this thread im new to reloading and although ive watched quite a bit ive not done any posting on here previous to this but what i would like to say is a big thankyou for the responses everyone on here seems to be down to earth and willing to help a novice loader may thanks again and i hope everyone has a fantastic christmas

all the best

jimmy

well guys as i said at the start of this thread im new to reloading and although ive watched quite a bit ive not done any posting on here previous to this but what i would like to say is a big thankyou for the responses everyone on here seems to be down to earth and willing to help a novice loader may thanks again and i hope everyone has a fantastic christmas

all the best

jimmy

Sorry for late reply but in my rifle i use varget all the way with 37g on the 50g stuff & 35.5g on 52g a-max or 36.1g on 55g bullets. I use cci-br primmers as i found a delayed ignition with standard stuff on varget. I have also used N140/BL-C2 & now trying H4895 & have had great results with them all but love varget.

Archived