Somebody talk me out of a SAkO TRG?

eldon

I have this urge to go and buy a TRG ? why I dont know it must be an age thing ;) . Are these worth the price ? what else is comparable but hopefully cheaper.

I already have a 700 vs in 308 and like it, in the real world will it do anymore than this? The only thing I don't like on the Remy is its rust protection, but then (cue) I suppose Duracoat would sort it. Is parkerizing worth the extra expense on the TRG's, can somebody provide some user findings on this?

Wish they did a 243 version as I'm tempted to move my 222 on as I rarely use it and buy a SAKO stainless synthetic for fox and deer. Anybody give me some input/ opinions on these? or alternatives?

Would I get 2 x 308 s on my ticket or is that a no no. Obviously one for target and one for deer officer. ;)

Thanks

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eldon.

If you are a member of a target rifle club they cannot refuse you a 308 TRG for target shooting, if not then thats a different matter you would have to seriously convince your FEO why you need two 308's

In my opinion there better tactical rifles in 308, Mcmillans, Robar and HS Precision spring to mind for the same money.

Ian.

Guest varmartin

You could explain the fact that you NEED 2x 308`s.

1 for long range deer stalking with high powered optics.

The 2`nd 308 for close range woodland stalking.

Martin

All you need specify is, that they are different twist rates for different weight bullets, this is classed as a "good reason".

The TRG is a fabulous rifle, i have two mates who shoot them, and they REGULARLY whup the ass off all the other .308,s they shoot with. They love the 168 a-max, but spare mags are a bit steep. I know a chap [police marksman] who uses one at work, and has the same set up for personal use.

Unlike Ian, i personally would take one over a hs precision anyday, but mcmillans are in a different league as he says.

Go on....you know you really NEED one. ;)

That's what my mate had on his FAC when he had two 308s. Lincoln Police passed it no problems, another one had a 7.62mm target rifle that he wanted to use for deer stalking and his FLO (Derbyshire/staffordshire not sure which) said no, for target shooting only, sell it and get a 308. ;);)

Best rgds

B-b

TRG is lovely tool Eldon, But.....the bipod is a fiddle to set and needs two hands to do, however once it is set its about the most stable platform there is aside from a benchrest.

Accessories are not cheap and spare mags are expensive, most shoot sub MOA with factory.

If you want tactical factory then AI AW, TRG, or SSG all come good, there is only one that is UK Mil aproved though ;)

I have one and love it to bits, as Baldie states they do seem to like 168 Amax's and reloader 15.

Spares are expensive, but I would urge you to get the TRG bipod, it was designed for the rifle and it works. Alas I didn't buy one because of the cost, but wished I had now, the Harris bipod is ok, but I don't find it stable enough.

My uneducated view is they have to be the best and most accurate out of the box rifle going.

Good replies, thanks but no thanks if you know what I mean ;)

Like Baldie say I wanted one but now suddenly I NEED one ;)

As Ronin said though only one is approved by military but then theres no rush on SA80's is there :lol::o:lol:

Is the phosphating or parkerising or whatever it is worth the extra expense?

Whats the difference between the black and green versions as I noticed more weight on the specs for the green one?

Cheers Paul

I have this urge to go and buy a TRG ? why I dont know it must be an age thing ;) . Are these worth the price ? what else is comparable but hopefully cheaper.

I already have a 700 vs in 308 and like it, in the real world will it do anymore than this? The only thing I don't like on the Remy is its rust protection, but then (cue) I suppose Duracoat would sort it. Is parkerizing worth the extra expense on the TRG's, can somebody provide some user findings on this?

Wish they did a 243 version as I'm tempted to move my 222 on as I rarely use it and buy a SAKO stainless synthetic for fox and deer. Anybody give me some input/ opinions on these? or alternatives?

Would I get 2 x 308 s on my ticket or is that a no no. Obviously one for target and one for deer officer. ;)

Thanks

Hi Eldon,

don't mind the howa, go for the TRG 22. I got mine a few months ago, a green one with the phosphated bits.

I don't know why the green is heavier than the black, maybe green paint is just heavier than black!

I also have a finnfire 22Lr and was a bit disappointed with the blueing as it developed a rust mark very soon after I got it (I am usually careful about that sort of thing). When I decided to buy the TRG I looked at both, the blueing on the black TRG was similar to my 22lr so I avoided it, I am sure that there are others out there that will disagree but it was enough to put me off.

Green or black, they are great rifle's everything is adjustable and though they are quite heavy they are very pointable and balanced. Mine loves 167 gr lapua scenars and federal powershok 180gr sp.

The only thing I would change is a better recoil pad.

IMG_0038.jpg

at 100 yds

IMG_1907.jpg

The accessories are total robbery and I'm glad alternatives are available, because there is no way I would have bought it otherwise.(Don't really understand what sort of out of brain moment sako/beretta are having in this regard).

The Accuracy international's are probably the Rolls Royce of this type of rifle, but the one held was considerably heavier in weight and cost.

Dave

Thanks for all your responses, pity somebody couldn't put me off and save me some cash :P:lol:

Dave, I think thats sorted that one then :P as soon as I can sort my ticket out for the 2 as I do like my Remy then the same as yours looks on the cards.

Obviously they are quite heavy, on yours I noticed the sling rucksack style is that right, do they make a difference? does it sit more comfortably?

Similar experiences to you regarding rust on the Remy. :D If I put it into slip slightly damp by the time I get home from scotland (4hrs) surface colouring has already started. It wipes off but if I left it overnight probably not, not good.

Paul

Paul the sling is a rucksac design. The green TRG has rings on the sides, to attach the sling. It lies completlely flat and doesn't flick from side to side so is very comfortable to carry and spreads the weight evenly. I'm not sure if the black trg has this forward attachment on the side. This sling has two quick release clips, so it can be unslung either to the right or left. It does takes a bit of getting use too from a hunting point of view, it is not as slick or as quiet as a standard sling.

Major benifit is that it pervents you from becoming lop-sided!

Dave

Hi Eldon,

Sorry to do this to you, but I have a green folding skeleton stock, phosphate barreled TRG in .308, as new complete with Night Force NS2 scope. for a very good price.

I was hitting the 1200metre targets down at Sennybridge with it the first time (ony time)I took it out.

PM me for further details if you are interested.

Cheers

GB

I have best results from my Hornady A Max in 168g for precision shooting, for general military range days the cheap and chearful military ammo is more than good enough for me.

Like a mentioned earlier the 1200metre target was being dropped 5 out of 5 times with military ammo, conditions were perfect and we did initially cheat and use a few tracer!!!!

Well, the topic's titled 'talk me out of' it...so I'll rain on the parade a little:

I notice you mention rust protection:

The only thing I don't like on the Remy is its rust protection, but then (cue) I suppose Duracoat would sort it. Is parkerizing worth the extra expense on the TRG's, can somebody provide some user findings on this?

Well, based on observation of a pal's brand new TRG22 left damp for 48hrs....and then found to be covered in tiny external rust spots; the TRG22's parkerized finish does chuff all in terms of rust protection, it's not the equivalent of epoxy paint / duracoat etc.

...that and, of course, you'll always be wishing it was an AW :rolleyes: .

Czech police snipers (issue rifle: TRG22) taking pics of their dream rifle:

takingpicsofAWs.jpg

:lol:

:D

Ahh, they would be AW's

The same kind I shot a .3" with this afternoon (again), he he he.

46.5grains of Vit 140/155 Scenar = excellence!

Now you had to ask....

Set up the chrony, it was minus 3 where I was and within half hour the bloody 9v battery died (I was checking some Barnes TSX 130's in the 6.5 for reds later in the week before I moved to the AW)

So ive no idea - my guess is around 2900 - maybe more.

Quickload predicts 2884 fps, it is usually within 50fps of the prediction.

Loading the 155 Scenars showed mild compression.

100% burn (from QL)

Nice flat primers, no bolt face or ejector marks after firing -

If it helps a similar load of 47.5g of Vit 550 gives me ave 2863 fps (ES in low teens) and similar (.4" - .5") accuracy. More importantly I was getting same POI with the Vit 140 which suggests similar velocities.

Once fire Lap cases - neck turned (only a clean up) and all trimmed to length.

Have you any details on ajusting AW triggers - think i'm getting into the "groove" with this rifle now :rolleyes: ?

Good news, makes me wish I hadn't just ordered a load of Varget!

Have you any details on ajusting AW triggers - think i'm getting into the "groove" with this rifle now :rolleyes: ?

No. 9 is the Trigger weight screw. Unscrew it until you get the pull weight you can safely take it to (Soldier-proof go-no go is 1.5-2.0 Kg you can go lighter than this as long as you check your weight is safe. Test it with cocked action and a few bolt slams and bumping the butt on the floor...if it doesn't dry-fire then you should be good to go). Mine is at 2.5lbs.

DON'T fiddle with No. 12, it's the sear engagement adjustment screw.

P1010008.jpg

PS. Was your 46.5grains of Vit 140/155 Scenar load also 2.19" to stoney point ogive?

Good news, makes me wish I hadn't just ordered a load of Varget!

BD - you will shift the Varget on here, if it is surplus so long as there's a buyer near you....

PS. Was your 46.5grains of Vit 140/155 Scenar load also 2.19" to stoney point ogive?

Actual OAL (base of case to Ogive = 2.185" - they feed out of the mag with about 5 - 10mm to spare

Thanks for the trigger intl, do you know if the length of first stage pull can be reduced?

Greenbear,,

nice looking rifle - how does it shoot - does the skeleton butt section make the rifle muzzle heavy?

Archived