Somebody talk me out of a SAkO TRG?

eldon

Thanks for the trigger intl, do you know if the length of first stage pull can be reduced?

I think the short answer is 'no'. No. 11 is the screw you're after, but it's loctited in place, and it's a full trigger strip to get to it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He he he

already on the case with the 6.5x47, its a custom action but not a Surgeon.....

However, I may be planning a build on a Surgeon XL action, has that got your grey matter ticking........ ;):lol::lol:

I think the short answer is 'no'. No. 11 is the screw you're after, but it's loctited in place, and it's a full trigger strip to get to it.

I guessed as much ;)

Pret tell more my friend!!

Ian

He he he, all in good time.... ;);)

Hi Ronin,

I haven't noticed ony issues with the stock, the rifle is so damn heavy anyway with most of the weight still remaining behind the bipod.

As for shooting its and absolute dream, I have only used it twice and both of them occasion at Sennybridge so it was more distance than precision, did manage to regularly knock down the 1200metre target though

So it would seem that in terms of rust protection ;) I would be better served by having my VS duracoated or similar. I suppose brown dog may be onto something and the AI is THE option. Comparing a friends RPA under the same wet conditions mines nowhere near the same league for protection.

Not sure the skeleton stock does anything for me ;) but each to their own. When would the folding option be an advantage, sorry if that seems a silly question but I dont see a reason for it, unless jumping out of planes ;)

Nice looking rifle all the same Greenbear and sounds a reasonable deal.

Almost anything left wet for 48hrs is going to start to corrode, many treatments do inhibit it but not for ever.

AI produce rifles for battlefield conditions/sniping and do a good job of making them continue to function in adverse conditions as a rifle that goes on the blink after a bit of wet and dirt is of little use to troops risking their lives.

Whether you need that to potter down to the range or go out in the field is another matter and if you want to find the extra cost as well.

Phosphating is a basic treatment which needs really to be allied to something else, usually some form of oil treatment or overcoating with paint, epoxy or plastic, to provide long term protection as it rubs off fairly quickly in use otherwise. Are you really going to spend all that money, then chuck it wet and dirty in a warm cupboard for a couple of days? I think not! :(

I like both rifles and would be equally happy with the TRGS or the AIW.

Redfox

Redfox as you say of course I am going to love it,care for it and cherish it for the rest of my life :(;) especially at those prices.

When comparing the VS and RPA I have seen colouration forming on my barrel in the same morning of being soaked.

I view my rifle as a tool rather than a range toy :huh: so fully intend to take it out and use it when i can.

On the rust protection ideas I have fitted a 40watt bulb in the corner of the cabinet (fully earthed of course :D ) and shielded it with a stainless mesh guard to avoid breakage. The door has sticky backed draught seal attached and it is nice and cosy in there. What i found being made of metal, it was acting as a condensor for any moisture in the house with it being next to an outside wall. Now with the little bit of heat it works spot on.

Cheers Eldon,

Now I am glad its not just me then, I could never understand why Sako would produce a skeletal folding stock on a designated snipers rifle. Maybe somebody could enlighten me?

Apart from its tarty looking and I like it! that aside it seems a useless addition to the standard rifle, unless the weight saved is critical in certain circumstances.

Cheers

GB

Cheers Eldon,

Now I am glad its not just me then, I could never understand why Sako would produce a skeletal folding stock on a designated snipers rifle. Maybe somebody could enlighten me?

Apart from its tarty looking and I like it! that aside it seems a useless addition to the standard rifle, unless the weight saved is critical in certain circumstances.

Cheers

GB

The same reason why AI produced a folding stock as a request from the military which accounts for the most of there production for ease of dismounting and mounting APC and helicopters.

London hunter

kind regards

We as civis - hunters commads a very small quantty of rifles produced.

When comparing the VS and RPA I have seen colouration forming on my barrel in the same morning of being soaked.

I view my rifle as a tool rather than a range toy

Absolutely.

I have similar experience of 'instant' rusting...and a similar outlook. Like me, I suspect the only finish you'll ever be happy with will be a duracoat / epoxy paint or equivalent.

I find it bizarre that a military rifle such as the TRG doesn't have such a finish....but will be the first to admit that there are cheaper ways of getting an epoxy painted rifle than buying an AW!

Good luck! :(

Brown dog,

you seem genned up on this, have you got a duracoated or similar rifle?

Does it do what it says on the tin? what is the realistic cost of it in one colour? any preference as to who does it? Is your scope and mod etc done as well?

I do like my VS :( and at the moment I think I would struggle to get x2 308s ( not in a target club). This could be a good short term solution. Shoot the barrel out and replace the whole thing with the TRG.

Paul

Brown dog,

you seem genned up on this, have you got a duracoated or similar rifle?

No. I've got an epoxy painted AW.....and I've been through the hoops of ilaflon coated Blasers (the only good part on them was the ilaflon!) and subsequent to that, Sauer202s....on which I suspect I was the first person to have an ilaflon coating applied...having chatted directly with the CEO and shipping my rifle back to Germany for coating when they were 1st bought by the Blaser group years back. Bought their Alaska version too. I suspect (assume!) duracoat is simply another way of skinning the cat. I would definitely give it a go. I think the UK duracoat chap posts here as kaleiderscope.

Guest 308Panther

Just out of pure dumb curiosity,

Why would you want to be talked out of buying a rifle that

would make you happier?

If you have your heart set on one....Buy it. :)

308Panther

Hi 308,

I know what your saying and agree, but with a new baby ( 2 legged) on the way I was hoping somebody would have something bad to say :) it would appear not. So when funds permit a TRG could be on the cards. :)

I was expecting the usual like, oh you should have got one of these........ there ok but....... my mates xxxx is far better for less etc etc

Paul

Truth is they are a good rifle and there were a few about on guntrader 2nd hand last week.......

Guest 308Panther

You can almost always tell the good ones from the number of them

that ya dont see in the used guns sections of the traders...

The fewer the better...

but then too price may have something to do on the number or lack of them too.

You may be in the wrong place if you want someone to stand up and say something

bad about a Sako....Not just the TRG but anything from their lineup...

They are growing in popularity over here...but have always been known as decent shooters.

Congrats on the soon to be New Arrival....

Keep us posted.

308Panther

Archived