nv monocular

cloverleaf

Hi Guys,

Would like some advice, looking for a monocular to scan then attach to the rifle scope for shooting,will be using it for foxes rabbits. I have a zeiss davari 6-24x56 on my rifle at the minute. Been looking at the Starlight Archer but not sure if it would work with the scope?

Cheers Clover leaf

Hi Guys,

Would like some advice, looking for a monocular to scan then attach to the rifle scope for shooting,will be using it for foxes rabbits. I have a zeiss davari 6-24x56 on my rifle at the minute. Been looking at the Starlight Archer but not sure if it would work with the scope?

Cheers Clover leaf

In my limited experience with a mates archer..

1: the archers are brilliant bits of kit..

2: as long as your scope has parralax adjustment then you should be fine

3: the archers come with 3x or 4x (cant remember) so bear in mind on minimum 6x through the diavari it will look like 18x with the archer on the back..

4: did i mention theyre brilliant!?

5: theyre not cheap but you get what you pay for..

That is some huge magnification at night when put into context.

The only nightvision I have ever used was the N550 which left me wanting on the mag. I am waiting to try the scott doubler.

x8 is my ideal at night. Target size/distance just dictates this mag IMHO

I also have a zeiss 6-24x56 scope and a Archer..which i dont use as use dedicated gen3 and gen3 monoculars but i have tried the archer on my zeiss and it did work but if i was you try before you buy as they advertise these as gen 3 and when i compared to my other US gen3..big diff not as good but the archer will allow you to shoot to 200m or so quite easily.

Mick

I've got an Archer which I've had for a few months now and it's a fantastic piece of kit, I don't use it on a Zeiss have mine on a Bushnell elite. The only down side I found was trying to use it as a spotter then fumbling about trying to attach it to take the shot, it's much much easier to use a separate spotter and leave the archer attached to your scope.

Andy

Hi Guys,

Cheers Clover leaf

I have used an Archer for many years now and they represent good value for money, I have tried Many Many scopes, the more expensive ones do work but definatly not as well as the mid priced scopes. On the top end scopes the coatings do not allow enough light transmission through when compared to the mid priced scopes. I think it is very important to have low down magnification as when you put 6 or 8 times on the field of view and light transmission is effected, this however brings an issue with the high end magnification if you need say 16-30 times for normal day work.

I would say one of the best is the Leupold VX3 4-14-50 with a duplex reticle, but I have found that a Bushnell 6500 4.5-30-50 is better and gives me the high end mag for day work, and the best for the Archer is the Bushnell 2.5-16-50 with a mil dot recticle, with Bushnell not only do they have a side adjustment paralax but you can also adjust the front end of the scope to fine tune it, which I find realy helps.

On a final note I use a D grade Archer and I have a good one, I have seen a few other D and A grades and they do vary quite a bit, Jullian at Starlight will do you a swap out if you are not happy, so it would be good to compare what you are buying with a decent Archer.

ATB

Mike..

Or if you looking for the best add-on then Pvs 14 wins every time but these are £2300, if you could find a Envis these go around £1500 and are the best £ for £ buy by none.

I was going to go down the PVS route before I settled on an archer, the only thing that put me off getting one was the back up if it went tits up.... at least with Starlight they will replace it if it goes wrong, which must be worth considering.

Andy

Cheers guys,

Think i will speak to the guy at starlight and see what he says about the zeiss, i use the rifle for stalking mostly so need the last light quality that zeiss gives so not keen on the change of scope could allways change the scope on the .17hmr and use it on that.

But i certianly seem that the Archer has lots of fans out there! anyone have problems with eye relief with the unit being on the back of the scope? looks like you just have to compensate with your head in a more upright position.

Cloverleaf

I was going to go down the PVS route before I settled on an archer, the only thing that put me off getting one was the back up if it went tits up.... at least with Starlight they will replace it if it goes wrong, which must be worth considering.

Andy

Ye you have a point, but i have never seen a 14 go tit's up apart from that one that was on the bay 3wks ago where all the wires had been cut, If not a 14 then i would get the same as Micky's add-on cracking unit there are plenty of guys over here who fix nv so that never plays a part for me i just want the best for my money end of.

I had the chance to use the 550 on friday night, if i had paid that sort of money for that performance i would be really p!£$ed off, now i'm going for the archer instead.

Did it have the doubler fitted and extra ir?? seen afew not my cup of tea but then again i don't like a b/w image

No doubler on it, but it did have the ir, not that it made much difference, Maybe I'm being a bit harsh on it, but for the extra money the archer looks a much better deal. Has anyone got one fitted to 5.5-22x56 NXS?

Has anyone got one fitted to 5.5-22x56 NXS?

I've used my Archer on that same NF with the NPR2 retical, worked perfectly. I believe the standard Archer comes with a 2X lens, obviously meaning your magnification is doubled.

I only use mine now as a spotter now, and have bought a 4X lens to help in this role.

Hi Cloverleaf

I am another Archer fan and have to say that it allows me to take an otherwise unviable shot almost every week.

Having said that it also has its limits and is always going to be a comprimise but as long as you remember this you wont be disappointed.

Colin

I've been using an Archer for a few years now.

Spotting and attaching will come as second nature after a while,simply turn the focus back to zero(better resolution when shooting)and attach.

Takes me more time to turn the laser down when the fox is a way off.

Have taken them out past 200yds no problem and spotting them out to 400yds easy when attached to scope.

i have mine on a leupold VX3 4.5x14x50 but have had it on my VX3 6.5x20x50 with no issues,apart from it magnified the pixels from the laser to look like a lot of 50p pieces.

Got a clear picture at x20 mag too.

Did start with it on a Hawke scope but i can't get that over x6 mag clearly.

Last weeks

SS100473.jpg

Mine is due a re-gas as it's not as clear as it used to be.

When out in Ireland with John Galway,we spotted a fox at 451yds(he ranged it)with just the Archer and laser..Top bit of kit.

I've been using an Archer for a few years now.

Spotting and attaching will come as second nature after a while,simply turn the focus back to zero(better resolution when shooting)and attach.

Takes me more time to turn the laser down when the fox is a way off.

Have taken them out past 200yds no problem and spotting them out to 400yds easy when attached to scope.

i have mine on a leupold VX3 4.5x14x50 but have had it on my VX3 6.5x20x50 with no issues,apart from it magnified the pixels from the laser to look like a lot of 50p pieces.

Got a clear picture at x20 mag too.

Did start with it on a Hawke scope but i can't get that over x6 mag clearly.

Last weeks

SS100473.jpg

Mine is due a re-gas as it's not as clear as it used to be.

When out in Ireland with John Galway,we spotted a fox at 451yds(he ranged it)with just the Archer and laser..Top bit of kit.

Blimey Grasshopper must try your method of putting a dead fox out as pheasant bait, looks like it works well :D

• 6 months later...

I have used an Archer for many years now and they represent good value for money, I have tried Many Many scopes, the more expensive ones do work but definatly not as well as the mid priced scopes. On the top end scopes the coatings do not allow enough light transmission through when compared to the mid priced scopes. I think it is very important to have low down magnification as when you put 6 or 8 times on the field of view and light transmission is effected, this however brings an issue with the high end magnification if you need say 16-30 times for normal day work.

I would say one of the best is the Leupold VX3 4-14-50 with a duplex reticle, but I have found that a Bushnell 6500 4.5-30-50 is better and gives me the high end mag for day work, and the best for the Archer is the Bushnell 2.5-16-50 with a mil dot recticle, with Bushnell not only do they have a side adjustment paralax but you can also adjust the front end of the scope to fine tune it, which I find realy helps.

On a final note I use a D grade Archer and I have a good one, I have seen a few other D and A grades and they do vary quite a bit, Jullian at Starlight will do you a swap out if you are not happy, so it would be good to compare what you are buying with a decent Archer.

ATB

Mike..

My twopenneth worth. I had a D grade archer and hated it. As Mike says they vary quite a bit and compared to his mine was rubbish. They are not very well made in my opinion, the rubber eyecaps just fall off, the switches are loose and very fragile, the power switch on mine just snapped off in my hand and the IR laser switch was incredibly loose. Forget the warrenty/UK service side of things as i rang Starlight several times and only ever spoke to some Forrest Gump impersonator called Barry. Not once did Julian return any of my calls.I sold mine and bought a digisight. The picture on the digisight is as good as if not better than a D grade Archer, i would not describe the Archer i had as a gen3.

Archived