Broke my duck at Diggle!

flyingfisherman

Well following on from a thread about how to get into target shooting, i was invited to diggle by Vince via UKV. Unfortunately i couldnt make last weekends shoot but managed to get down this Saturday to 1000yd F-Class. I have to say that i was slightly apprehensive about it, not sure on the types of people who do it and how friendly they may or may not be. I had heard from a few others that Diggle is a great facility with a bunch of decent guys.. So i headed over there Saturday morning. I do admit i had doubts when i checked the weather and seeing forecast 40mph wind and rain i thought it may be a busted flush!

I arrived at 0900 and bumped into the guy who anneals my cases.. I find it odd how you almost know someone just via a forum and the odd email so it was good to put the face to the name! After a couple of brews people started to arrive. I also bumped into a keeper i know from my neck of the woods, it was his second visit also.

Anyways, after paying up and meeting most, i was paired with Laurie and to shoot in the morning. It was interesting to see a few different rifles and have to say i was pretty impressed with the guys shooting open sights at 1000yds and their accuracy! Laurie was great to shoot with and talked me through the protocol. It was a pleasure to see some of those guys shooting.. I managed 60 with no V-bulls. Im happy with the performance of my rifles even at extended ranges and the ES is below 20 but i think i was struggling a little with a fairly soft load which could have been a bit slow at 1000yds leading to quite a lot of vertical. Anyways, i managed 20 hits which i was happy about and the rifle seemed to average 2MOA - 2.5MOA of vertical. Im sure thats a massive figure for F-Class but its something to work on. The weather while i think about it was better in the AM but still 10-15mph winds pretty much straight across but not too variable..

After lunch and a bite to eat, i got to see the other end of it in the butts. It was a great opportunity to pick brains and compare notes although we did get soaked!

I had a great day and hope to go back soon. Seems like a well run club with a decent bunch of guys.

Thanks to Vince for the invite and hope to see you again soon!

PS: I subconsciously find myself searching for F-Class actions and stocks.. wait til the missus finds out!!

Glad you enjoyed yourself, it gets very addictive.

You didn't mention what cartridge you were shooting.

You do need a bit of pep to reach 1000 yards accurately.

Keep it going as it sounds if you did alright on your first outing.

Hopefully you'll go back again and bang in a few of those elusive F class V bulls.

Cheers

Dave

Cheers Dave, load was:

7mm-08 Predator + 24'' LW 1:10 SS barrel

140 VLDs + 40gn H4895 = 2770fps (ES = 17)

Fed 210 match primers

Nosler custom brass, neck turned and running at 4 thou neck tension

Average groups of 0.4 MOA out to 600yds (tested in minimal wind!)

I run at 4 thou neck tension as this is my pet load for stalking/varminting. After my results on Saturday im thinking about reducing neck tension to 2 thou and then seeing if i can get similar results with more speed.

Sounds like you have a great little rifle there.

For 1000 yards you may be better off running a heavier bullet.

The new Hornady 162 BTHPM has a good B.C also the 168 grain flavour match bullets.

I think your twist would be a bit slow for the 180's

Diggle is a difficult place to shoot and it looks like you caught it on an interesting day!

A good friendly place and I always look forward to the League shoots there.

Its also a good excuse to have some of the best fish and chips in the world from the chippy in Diggle.

Cheers

Dave

Ben,

You survived one of the worst shooting days I've ever experienced at Diggle - and I've seen some bad days.......... I can't remember ever having to stand down because the targets had 'dissappeared'!

It was great to have you shoot with us and I hope you next visit will be blessed with better weather.

Cheers

Vince

Ben,

You survived one of the worst shooting days I've ever experienced at Diggle - and I've seen some bad days.......... I can't remember ever having to stand down because the targets had 'dissappeared'!

It was great to have you shoot with us and I hope you next visit will be blessed with better weather.

Cheers

Vince

Thanks Vince,

had a great time. what was a bummer was the M62 being closed on the way home! will be back soon!

What a great write up, i set myself a goal to shoot to 1000 yards next year, it sounds like I've just found the venue!

I will make contact via the website shortly!

i recieved my membership from vince yesterday so as to send it in for my variation to get a new[well second hand]rifle to get into the long range game; cant wait.

i recieved my membership from vince yesterday so as to send it in for my variation to get a new[well second hand]rifle to get into the long range game; cant wait.

Hi Gary, have you decided what you fancy then?

Archived