Please could I have some advice.

I have been zeroing my rifles using only a bipod and sometimes a sand filled bag for the stock, over the bonnet of my truck. This has been ok as I only shoot fox and vermin from the truck cab normally anyway. Although I am relatively successful with these type of shots, I never feel that I have zeroed perfectly as I am always having some degree of movement while doing so. What is the best method for getting as accurate as possible set up? Should I get a benchrest?

I know that some would say 'good enough is good enough', but I am starting to get a bit obsessive - probably catching the bug from reading the posts on here.

Any advice would be appreciated.

ATB Adam

I wouldnt go as far as getting a bench rest type setup unless you intend to use it for all of your shooting needs. I shoot off bipod and rear bag, prone off the ground. This is how i would expect to shoot if i were looking for maximum accuracy while out foxing/stalking/varminting.

Im a firm believer that you need to use what you would in the field or when you go shooting.

i agree with every thing fly has said up till i want to go load testing, then a bench off some type is essential for proer load development

i agree with every thing fly has said up till i want to go load testing, then a bench off some type is essential for proer load development

To add.. i would also love a bench.. but dont have the right place to put one.. I personally (stress the personal thing) notice no difference in my performance whether i shoot off a bench or prone.

Thank you for your comments.

Clearly subsequent practice should be as you would be when in a real situation.

I guess what I am asking is : in the purest sense, will the set up/zero be more precise with a bench?

Tell me if I am just looking for an excuse to get more kit.

geta a bench thats an order and do not pass go or collct £200 before you do

you will notice the diffence in groups sizes

Hi,

Bench or prone, bipod and rear bag. Ensure that there is some cushioning of the bipod feet to avoid 'hop' or 'bounce' on firing. Try rubber feet on the bipod and/or a piece of carpet or a sandbag,

Alan

The trouble with bonnets is that they can be fairly flexible and sloping depending on the vehicle, which isn't a good start for consistency between shots.

If I can't get on a bench, a decent highseat or somewhere prone I use my Vitara, it's a pain to zero from off the bonnet so I now open the rear tailgate, stand on the bumper and shoot off the roof... had a few foxes like that too. Less bruising to the chest n ribs too than leaning against the wing.

That's me,

atb

FBW

B)

• 2 weeks later...

just make one

Picture615.jpg

Nice rifle.. what is it?

Do you find with that bench that you have to look for flat ground? I have an idea of building a bench somewhere out of concrete blocks so it wont go walkabout and be steady.. just need to find the right location!

Nice rifle.. what is it?

Do you find with that bench that you have to look for flat ground? I have an idea of building a bench somewhere out of concrete blocks so it wont go walkabout and be steady.. just need to find the right location!

not really flat your average farm track or field is fine,Iam thinking of making the legs adjustable for very uneven ground,as to the rifle its a Nesika I have 2 which I had built in America a long time ago,way before custom rifle became fashonable

• 3 weeks later...

I have an idea of building a bench somewhere out of concrete blocks so it wont go walkabout and be steady.. just need to find the right location!

We got 26 of 'em already built at Diggle, at all ranges - 100, 300, 600 and 1000 yards and all under cover..........

Vince

Archived