white out

munkjack

Hi all ive just bought a docter optic 3-12x56 for lamping zerod it no problem look great in the day light took it out foxing latter the same knight with the 170 lightforce mounted on top flicked the lamp on to have a look and could not see a thing just white no image at all so wound the power down to 3 and could just about make out images i tried it on a few different settings to no avail im pritty miffed as i bought the scope secondhand aspechily for the job of lamping foxes.

has anyone experianced this before has any one got any idea what i could do to remmidy the problem the scope is set at 100 yrd parrelax has red dot ret and is great in day light and i have also removed the lamp tried holding at diferent distances and used red filter and no filter all to no availe.

Any adivce would be much appreaiated.

Thanks all inadvance.

Hi all ive just bought a docter optic 3-12x56 for lamping zerod it no problem look great in the day light took it out foxing latter the same knight with the 170 lightforce mounted on top flicked the lamp on to have a look and could not see a thing just white no image at all so wound the power down to 3 and could just about make out images i tried it on a few different settings to no avail im pritty miffed as i bought the scope secondhand aspechily for the job of lamping foxes.

has anyone experianced this before has any one got any idea what i could do to remmidy the problem the scope is set at 100 yrd parrelax has red dot ret and is great in day light and i have also removed the lamp tried holding at diferent distances and used red filter and no filter all to no availe.

Thanks all inadvance.

Sounds like the light from your lamp is reflecting back off the barrel, try holding the lamp to the side see if that improves things or put some cloth over the barrel or even put some tape over the bottom third or even half of the lamp filter or a piece of card or something stuck to a flip up cover so when it's in the open position the card blocks the bottom part of the lamp beam which keeps it off the barrel.

Andy

Thanks all inadvance.

I had the same problem when I got a moderator fitted to my .223. What worked for me was first mount the lamp as far back on your scope as you possibly can. Secondly I used electrical tape on the end of my sunshade, Basically I have blocked off a portion of the bottom of the sunshade opening. Both are cheap, simple, unforgettable solutions. With the tape, you may need to experiment a little with how much or how little you need to block off. People will say that's going to compromise the effectiveness of your scope, it won't, I can still shoot foxes to 300 yards and past it if I need to.

Hi,

I've had exactly the same problem and fixed it like Andy and John. Take whatever measures you can to avoid lighting up your barrel and moderator, the best solution is to train up a reliable lamp man. This worked for me last night, clobbered a fox I've been after for weeks,

Alan

Thanks all some good ideas to try i do have a neopren cover on the mod it came with a flip up lens cover i will try it with this fliped up if that doesint work i will try the tape and card method's mentiond probley wont get out till sat now will post and let you all no how i get on.

Ive never had a problem before now had a meopta 7x50 on the 22.250 and have a mtc mamba 4-16x50 on the rimfire both used with the scope mounted lamp and worked well!

cheers all for the quick response.

Just to add I found the same solution as John Galway. I had to go out the other night, and put my masterlite on my 243 which has a t8 on the front. Even with the neoprene cover I had complete white out.

I normally mount the light as far forward as I can on my 223 which obviously has a smaller can, and is my usual lamping rifle.

I just tried mounting the light as far back as I could and that seemed to make it shootable.

I like it as it didn't cost me anything!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got out on sat night tried some differnt things moved the light back fitted buttler cover and flipped it up it made things better but not great, so then i rolled a pieace of card around the objective bell and put some tape around it to hold in place to make an extended light shade this worked a treat. could makeout rabbits 200 plus yards with red filter. now all i need is a moore permanet solution ive had a quick scane on the net and seen some shades with a honey come cover they fit over th objective bell has anyone got one fitted are they any good are there any other shades that i could use bearing in mind my scope is not threaded for a shade. cheers in advance.

I believe the honeycomb filter is to stop light relfecting off the objective lense to give your posistion away and will not solve this problem

I solved the problem initially with the tube of card taped onto the front of the scope and then later just changed it with sun shades all the way up to the back of the moderator and that solved it for me

the other solution I've seen is to mount the lamp off to the side of the rifle

good luck with finding what works best for you

Ian

Finally got out on sat night tried some differnt things moved the light back fitted buttler cover and flipped it up it made things better but not great, so then i rolled a pieace of card around the objective bell and put some tape around it to hold in place to make an extended light shade this worked a treat. could makeout rabbits 200 plus yards with red filter. now all i need is a moore permanet solution ive had a quick scane on the net and seen some shades with a honey come cover they fit over th objective bell has anyone got one fitted are they any good are there any other shades that i could use bearing in mind my scope is not threaded for a shade. cheers in advance.

The honeycomb might work; they have an 'equivalent length' to a normal tube sunshade; from memory a 'normal' honeycomb is about equivalent to around a 6" tubular sunshade.

The honeycomb might work; they have an 'equivalent length' to a normal tube sunshade; from memory a 'normal' honeycomb is about equivalent to around a 6" tubular sunshade.

Hi,

Try Googling 'Tenebraex', they are the originators of the honeycomb ARD (Anti Reflection Device), also known as 'Kill Flash'. Leupold also do a range of push-on honeycomb filters to suit a variety of objective diameters,

Alan

Hi,

Try Googling 'Tenebraex', they are the originators of the honeycomb ARD (Anti Reflection Device), also known as 'Kill Flash'. Leupold also do a range of push-on honeycomb filters to suit a variety of objective diameters,

Alan

Hi all thanks for replies ive just sent a message to optic warehouse as im still not sure as wich is the best product to use ive looked at the kill flash system it looks good but all the ones ive seen are in america and only seem to go up to 50mm any one no of a uk distributor that i could speak to cheers.

Archived