Barrel Vice

1967spud

I am going to make one as a project, but just need a few pointers off those in the know.

Are wooden blocks better/ more desirable to use than ally blobks for holding the barrel in the vice/

Would 3/4" stell be thick enough for the actuall vice?

What dimensions please?

Hope you can help as i may youtube this build and ill give recognition to relevent peeps.

Simples.

I like hardwood blocks: easier to bore out to size and easily replaced. I have used lead alloy as well, cast to the barrel in question. A bit of a bother...

As to the vise. The last one I made was from 1.25" cold rolled steel. A wide bottom plate (4"x12") with a pair of 1.125" diameter threaded studs set into it. The shorter top plate had matching holes. The blocks and barrel were sandwiched between the plates and cinched down. I later added two heavy springs to support the upper plate while I manipulated the barrel and blocks. These were compressed when the nuts were tightened.~Andrew

PS: Midway or Brownells will sell you one quite reasonably. If you don't have access to tools and steel it may be the way to go.

Thanks andrew for the reply i have acces to both steel and tools, i am making one really for more of some thing to do as to needing it . YET!!!

Thanks andrew for the reply i have acces to both steel and tools, i am making one really for more of some thing to do as to needing it . YET!!!

Spud,

If you have a look at the one on the Dolphin Gun Co. website (under action wrenches) www.dolphinguncompany.co.uk you'll see the popular design for a barrel-vice for removing custom barrels.

If you want to take off a factory barrel, you need a much heavier barrel vice - with bushes to closely fit the barrel and a proper action-wrench.

Vince

I have a Brownells vice and wrench - you need heavy duty weft for some factory barrels, even if you relieve the barrel shoulder...

This vice works just fine for all custom barrels too, as there are many inserts available in different diameters.

Easier than making one and quite reasonable too.

good cooments guys

andy brownells are out of stock with vices at the moment and after bring ing it in to the uk would be over 140 quid from what i can see

Hi Spud,

The Brownells website lists both the Farrell's aluminium and Brownells steel barrel vice. It also illustrates and lists the dimensions of both should you wish to copy one of them,

Alan

I have a Brownells vice and wrench - you need heavy duty weft for some factory barrels, even if you relieve the barrel shoulder...

This vice works just fine for all custom barrels too, as there are many inserts available in different diameters.

Easier than making one and quite reasonable too.

Andy which one do you have as they list two from memory

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that Steve but beleive it or not i bought a dolphin rifles one which arrived today and its a bit of quality for the money. Should i put some pictutres up, or not bother.

Mark

I have the Brownels one, works for me as I need heavy duty for removing factory barrels.

The replacements are a snap to fit by comparison.

You wont go wrong with Miks vice - he also sells high quality action wrenches....

Mark

I have the Brownels one, works for me as I need heavy duty for removing factory barrels.

The replacements are a snap to fit by comparison.

You wont go wrong with Miks vice - he also sells high quality action wrenches....

he doesnt do them for sako 75 alas but hopefully neil ins going to make me a couple

Archived