tikka 595 semi custom 6.5x47

hi all.been a members for a few months taking in all the info and practical experience there is on this web site.after seeing so many positive comments on the lapua 6.5x47 I have finally decided to take the plunge and get one to add to my .17hmr and the 22-250.it has just arrived but the stock was unfinished and I have just completed this as the enc pictures will show.yet to be shot and run in and looking forward to see how it shoots.will try and keep to varget for both rifles as it makes life simpler and apparently performs per darrell's posts (FTN)who has given me a few pointers where to start with load development.will shoot 123gn scenars for target and 95gn v max for foxes.built by steve kershaw with varmint profile lothar walther super match grade barrel-some cosmetic add on's-fluted bolt and tac knob.a.t.b.richard.

post-9546-094745900 1318177703_thumb.jpg

post-9546-003594400 1318177719_thumb.jpg

post-9546-065558800 1318177732_thumb.jpg

hi all.been a members for a few months taking in all the info and practical experience there is on this web site.after seeing so many positive comments on the lapua 6.5x47 I have finally decided to take the plunge and get one to add to my .17hmr and the 22-250.it has just arrived but the stock was unfinished and I have just completed this as the enc pictures will show.yet to be shot and run in and looking forward to see how it shoots.will try and keep to varget for both rifles as it makes life simpler and apparently performs per darrell's posts (FTN)who has given me a few pointers where to start with load development.will shoot 123gn scenars for target and 95gn v max for foxes.built by steve kershaw with varmint profile lothar walther super match grade barrel-some cosmetic add on's-fluted bolt and tac knob.a.t.b.richard.

Very nice.

(I think we all have to stop calling a rifle like that a 'semi custom' :) I'm guilty of it myself and am trying to re-train my brain :rolleyes:

That's a fully custom rifle that happens to be built on a tikka action.

The action is probably better than half the rem clone stuff out there; but just because it has tikka written on it rather than 'Chuck and Bubba's Rem Clone' we seem to talk as though it's 'not as good'.

The other day I was shooting my custom 6.5x47 :rolleyes: (also built on a Tikka action) next to a pal who was giving a 260 custom (built with a surgeon action) its first run out. They were both consistently sub 0.3MOA rifles. And we both agreed that the lightened Tikka trigger unit on my 'custom' had a crisper break than the ever so slightly spongy Jewell on his 'custom'. Yet the Jewell has 'kudos'. It makes no sense :lol::rolleyes::wacko::) )

I disagree Matt.

A custom action is one thats built to far tighter tolerances than any tikka ever made, regardless of who made it, and i,ve measured a lot of them.

A custom action is a new, component part, thats never been used on a factory rifle , or anything else. A tikka , or a sako, or a remmy, howa etc, are all factory actions that started life on a factory gun, with factory tolerances and allowances for bubba,s homeloads and general factory, and milsurp crap that people tend to feed even custom guns these days.

A custom action, or even a blueprinted one that has had its tolerances "tightened up " wont suffer such crap.

Also, would you like to pay "full custom " prices for a second hand tikka thats been rebarrelled ? :D

I have a beautiful 6mmBr with a new custom barrel, a new mcmillan stock, fully bedded, screwcut, and now has a diamond fluted bolt, built on a s/h tikka 595, up at £2000, with proof rounds only fired....and i cant sell it, and its not dear at that.

If it had been on a s/h surgeon or valkyrie, etc, it would have been long gone.

Not to denigrate this chaps custom gun at all, its a lovely looking bit of kit, and i'll bet it shoots bloody great, but its not a "full" custom rifle because it utilises a factory, and s/h reciever. The distinction has to be made, otherwise the price of such a gun would rise, and the price of a genuine one-off custom rifle would drop.

For what its worth, i love the 595, and will buy any that come through the door for their actions, as they are just "nice", but their tolerances can hardly be described as tight.

I,ve always found the tikka/sako trigger to be exactly as you describe too....they break like a glass rod, but cant be safely taken down to anywhere the weights that a jewell can achieve, like 6oz ! and that weight can safely be drop tested on a concrete floor. Thats why the jewell had Kudos...its safe at all weights, that cant be said for any other trigger out there.

Jewells have a spongy feel to them out of the bag these days for some reason, but thats easily adjusted out by someone who knows what they are doing with the trigger.

Richard, very nice. Is it fitted with a recoil lug - I can't tell from the pics. Nice to see another leftie, i have a 595 in .243 that I want to rebarrel to suit heavier bullets.

Baldie, I agree with your comments but how do you classify a std action that has been trued, sleeved, firing pin bushed etc. Surely these match an after market action for tolerances? I suppose like all things the devil is in the detail and one semi custom will vary from another in as much as how much work was actually done in the semi custom process....

I really like my 595 just wish someone made aftermarket bottom metal for them. Have you got any plans for any?

Richard, very nice. Is it fitted with a recoil lug - I can't tell from the pics. Nice to see another leftie, i have a 595 in .243 that I want to rebarrel to suit heavier bullets.

Baldie, I agree with your comments but how do you classify a std action that has been trued, sleeved, firing pin bushed etc. Surely these match an after market action for tolerances? I suppose like all things the devil is in the detail and one semi custom will vary from another in as much as how much work was actually done in the semi custom process....

I really like my 595 just wish someone made aftermarket bottom metal for them. Have you got any plans for any?

hi mjr.thanks.yes it has a standard recoil lug bedded in devcon with aluminium pillars.richard.

'Custom' action doesn't really mean anything to my mind.

It just means made in small shop rather than big shop; and therefore held to be better.

Some do have tight QC and sound design; some, I suspect don't.

But what does it actually mean?

• The only bolt handle I've ever seen literally snap -Surgeon
  • The only bolt stop I've ever seen sheer and fall off - Stiller.
  • The worst (non)feeding rifle I've ever seen - an RPA in-house build. (Barrel only on hand-tight too, but that's another story!)
  • 2nd worst (non)feeding rifle- a nesika built by a UK 'big name'
  • Too tight bolt fit to work in the muck of the highlands - a nesika.
  • Only ejector I've ever seen fall off all by itself -RPA
  • Only trigger I'm aware of that ceases to function if it gets condensation in it - Jewell
  • Galling -Stiller
  • Etc

They're not all created equal.

So what is the definition of 'custom' action anyway?! :lol::)

Now come on be a good boy and choose the right action for your application :) All this breaking this, galling that just signifies too much snatch and grab rather than gently does it ;) And lay off the stillers, haven't you heard of grease.... :lol:

Now come on be a good boy and choose the right action for your application :) All this breaking this, galling that just signifies too much snatch and grab rather than gently does it ;) And lay off the stillers, haven't you heard of grease.... :lol:

:lol:

I'm only jealous :)

I am also interested in fitting bottom metal that takes the AICS mags to a Tikka 595. Can someone (Dave?) outline the difficulties and stock options please. Looking to use an ambidextrous stock with vertical grip.

Rup

'Custom' action doesn't really mean anything to my mind.

It just means made in small shop rather than big shop; and therefore held to be better.

Some do have tight QC and sound design; some, I suspect don't.

But what does it actually mean?

• The only bolt handle I've ever seen literally snap -Surgeon
  • The only bolt stop I've ever seen sheer and fall off - Stiller.
  • The worst (non)feeding rifle I've ever seen - an RPA in-house build. (Barrel only on hand-tight too, but that's another story!)
  • 2nd worst (non)feeding rifle- a nesika built by a UK 'big name'
  • Too tight bolt fit to work in the muck of the highlands - a nesika.
  • Only ejector I've ever seen fall off all by itself -RPA
  • Only trigger I'm aware of that ceases to function if it gets condensation in it - Jewell
  • Galling -Stiller
  • Etc

They're not all created equal.

So what is the definition of 'custom' action anyway?! :lol::)

You should change your name to "Jonah ".. :lol:

Of course they are not all created equal, there is only one on that list i personally would use, and thats the surgeon. All the others have faults, but they are all "custom " actions, in that they were made, solely as an action and not a mass produced rifle.

Remington, tikka, sako etc churn actions out by the thousand on very worn cnc machinery. Remington only very recently went cnc, and certain prefix numbers are better than others, as the machinery was tighter/newer. All mass produced stuff suffers from this.

Custom actions are generally made on new machinery, made in very small batches, and on cnc, which is a far cry from anything the large manufacturers use. The actions are simply better made, have tighter tolerances , and are truer than any mass produced action.

There,s your definition.

We've spoken several times Buddy about what you would like in an action, if i recall, you would like a left hand, tactical action, with a one piece bolt, repeater, fixed rail, fixed lug etc etc. Thats the definition of a custom action, and if you want to pay for it, you can have it. It will not however, cost $500 like the T3 was designed to be.

The Americans told tikka they wanted a $500 gun, so tikka stopped making the 595 and produced the T3.

Have a look at your list Matt, most of the faults there are down to outside factors. Bad gunsmithing, bad choice of action for purpose, or bad maintainance.

I,ve just finished a batch of 100 jewell triggers, and need some more. One of them is coming back because the safety doesn,t work. It may be broken, it may be jammed, i dont know. What i do know, is that no one has ever said they jammed due to condensation, and neither have any of mine.

There is a right way and a wrong way to fit a jewell, and i,m not going to say what it is. Suffice it to say, that its a very close tolerance trigger, that needs correctly fitting, then it will work perfectly. All mine have been drenched many times, and i,ve never had a minutes bother with one of them, and i currently own around a dozen, 3 of which are on AR15,s.

The perfect action hasn,t been made yet, but we are getting close, and it will be British, not American, or Finnish. ;)

Now get yer hand in yer pocket you tight git ! :lol:

Yes, me too, sorry for hijacking Richard.

Any more details on the gun ? Did you finish the stock yourself ? if so, what with ? I,ve always liked tru-oil myself.

There is a wealth of info on 6.5 x 47 loads on here, just ask.

Am I right in thinking that this is a Richard's Microfit stock 'Apache' or something like that?

Nice rifle by the way!

Finman

:lol:

Richard - sorry about your thread!

I think your rifle looks great - and I'll bet it'll shoot as well as anything else we've mentioned in our distraction :)

hi chaps.been away for a few days.it is indeed a richards microfit stock and yes I did finish it off myself hence it's yet to be fired!!!.had the tru oil kit but decided to apply my old shotgun stock kit/purdeys slackum oil and the their rubbing oil.atb richard.

hi chaps.been away for a few days.it is indeed a richards microfit stock and yes I did finish it off myself hence it's yet to be fired!!!.had the tru oil kit but decided to apply my old shotgun stock kit/purdeys slackum oil and the their rubbing oil.atb richard.

went down to ballistic hamster's today to zero(100 yards) the new rifle and met up with long range capt and a couple of his friends.final outcome was a 3 shot group virtually down the same hole so best pleased with the potential so early on.thanks to (foxing2 nite)for the up front gen-95 grain v max cci 450 primers and to start with a mild load of 37.5 varget.it's the 123 scenar's next!!!

a.t.b richard

• 2 weeks later...
Guest richness

I disagree Matt.

A custom action is one thats built to far tighter tolerances than any tikka ever made, regardless of who made it, and i,ve measured a lot of them.

A custom action is a new, component part, thats never been used on a factory rifle , or anything else. A tikka , or a sako, or a remmy, howa etc, are all factory actions that started life on a factory gun, with factory tolerances and allowances for bubba,s homeloads and general factory, and milsurp crap that people tend to feed even custom guns these days.

For what its worth, i love the 595, and will buy any that come through the door for their actions, as they are just "nice", but their tolerances can hardly be described as tight.

I,ve always found the tikka/sako trigger to be exactly as you describe too....they break like a glass rod, but cant be safely taken down to anywhere the weights that a jewell can achieve, like 6oz ! and that weight can safely be drop tested on a concrete floor. Thats why the jewell had Kudos...its safe at all weights, that cant be said for any other trigger out there.

Jewells have a spongy feel to them out of the bag these days for some reason, but thats easily adjusted out by someone who knows what they are doing with the trigger.

Yes i agree. I have a full custom rifle and some semi-custom ones. The semi-custom will shoot like anything out there but it is more trouble in little niggly ways (and you can't blueprint everything on them) so i'd swap it in a hot minute for a custom action, as an investment for the future. Also, the custom actions feel so awesomely pleasant to cycle that it's worth it just for that. I just wish you could have the old action removed and a custom one put in cheaply and without needing new barrel etc...but alas it's a new gun and that is something i'll have to wait for

Hi Richard, Glad to see that you have got your rifle!!!

and i must say that it is very nice to :wub::wub:

It is also a shooter,, cant be bad, nearlly sorted on your first outing???,

just goes to show how good this calibre is,, and the fact that you have used one of the nicest action around,,,,

Glad that i was of some help,,,,

Not shooting at the moment due to a chest and ear infection???

had it for over two months,, are well that which promotes growth and vigour happens :mad::mad:

I have got some 130 grain JLK,s coming tomorrow from the states,, should be good,, fingers crossed???

There is a 600yrd comp on nov 5 at the diggle!!!!, Hope to be better for that???

All the best, Darrel ;)

A very nice rifle, you must be chuffed that it shoots so well, I guess you'll be keeping that for a while then.

Also always happy to go out shooting or hold a lamp or spot on targets etc, just PM me. That goes for any other N Wales based shooters too.

Happy shooting.

Brummy Mark

A very nice rifle, you must be chuffed that it shoots so well, I guess you'll be keeping that for a while then.

Also always happy to go out shooting or hold a lamp or spot on targets etc, just PM me. That goes for any other N Wales based shooters too.

Happy shooting.

Brummy Mark

hi mark.yes and yes.very pleased so far and I hope the 123 scenars will do the same.from comp predictions both loads that I have in mind seem to have a very similar trajectory out to 500 yards or so.certainly will bear you in mind for a bit of lamping.a.t.b.Richard.

Hi Richard, Glad to see that you have got your rifle!!!

and i must say that it is very nice to :wub::wub:

It is also a shooter,, cant be bad, nearlly sorted on your first outing???,

just goes to show how good this calibre is,, and the fact that you have used one of the nicest action around,,,,

Glad that i was of some help,,,,

Not shooting at the moment due to a chest and ear infection???

had it for over two months,, are well that which promotes growth and vigour happens :mad::mad:

I have got some 130 grain JLK,s coming tomorrow from the states,, should be good,, fingers crossed???

There is a 600yrd comp on nov 5 at the diggle!!!!, Hope to be better for that???

All the best, Darrel ;)

Hi Darrel-sorry your not too well and trust you will soon be on the mend-after your back problems this is all you want!!!.A big thank you to you for your input which is very much appreciated.Look forward to seeing you in the near future at Glen's-I still have the 123 scenars to sort now.a.t.b.Richard.

Archived