6.5x47 Load development and testing at Calton Moor Range

I've Just returned from some load developing and zeroing at Calton Moor Range with LONG RANGE CAPT and Scotch Egg. Thought we'd share some pics and the results. Plan for the day was too do a final load test of for my new AI AE 6.5x47 and for Rob to sight in his AI AW .338 and new AI AE Mk3 .308.

I'd experiencing 'fliers' in my groups in the 1st load development and after posting here I was advised by brown dog, Ronin and Elwood to re-shoot the more promising loads from a solid bench (very solid at Calton) using bag and bipod. Good job I did as you can see from the results below. I also adjusted the seating depth and re measured my chamber with firing pin removed as per Mikes aka Janners instructions (we do listen, sometimes). Sorry about the pics, we took a lot.

First target, 123 Scenar 38.0gr N140 5 thou off the lands, not bad but not good for a 6.5x47.

img026.jpg

Second Target, 123 Scenar 38.3gr N140 5 thou off the lands. 1st round was an 'excited flier' as Ronin would say, I then recovered from my excitement and put the remaining 7 rounds I had left through the same hole, very pleased :-). This is my load and it averaged 2954fps over 18 shots with low Extreme spread.

65x47383grN140-1.jpg

2011-10-05145822.jpg

2011-10-05151107.jpg

2011-10-05155044.jpg

If you dont like Accuracy Internationals, tough luck :-), look away now.

Top down, AI AW .338 (L115A3), AI AE Mk3 6.5x47 Lapua, AI AE Mk3 .308

2011-10-05155951.jpg

2011-10-05155942.jpg

2011-10-05160013.jpg

All in all a really enjoyable day.

Nice write up mate, I am expecting my very own 6.5 x 47 soon and now I have a load to work with. Thanks. :D

That load should be well over max but it it doesn't show pressure sign until 38.5gr so I backed it off.

Good shooting fellas, seems like you had some fun...Do you get AI sponsorship??? :)

Bloody well should do... Graeme

Sorry, Just realized this thread is up twice, can one of the moderators remove the other one please.

Second Target, 123 Scenar 38.3gr N140 5 thou off the lands. 1st round was an 'excited flier' as Ronin would say, I then recovered from my excitement and put the remaining 7 rounds I had left through the same hole, very pleased :-). This is my load and it averaged 2954fps over 18 shots with low Extreme spread.

65x47383grN140-1.jpg

I've only just really absorbed the measurements shown on that target.

WOW!

:o:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Great performance and cracking write up on an increasingly popular calibre, but a few questions if I may.

Do AI offer 6.5x47 as a standard calibre, or have you re-barreled an original?

I've read on a number of sites that the 6.5x47 suffers from primer piercing issues, have you any experience of this?

Cheers

Hi,

Great performance and cracking write up on an increasingly popular calibre, but a few questions if I may.

Do AI offer 6.5x47 as a standard calibre, or have you re-barreled an original?

I've read on a number of sites that the 6.5x47 suffers from primer piercing issues, have you any experience of this?

Cheers

Myself and Rich have shot 1200 approx through our 6.5x47's with no pierced primers.

ou may get pierced primers from over pressure loads....ive seen it in rifles who's owners dont know when to say stop, when chasing velocity.

Ive shot 3000 plus through my own and not suffered any....

I've not experienced any primer issues with my rifle, LONG RANGE CAPT has see thread

http://ukvarminting.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11929&st=0&p=100864&fromsearch=1entry100864

As Ronin said if its cratering is probably overpressure. You can get sensible velocities (2900+fps) without pushing it that hard. I managed to get too 38.5gr of n140 when cratering signs started which is well over max according to the vit manual.

AI dont offer different calibers from the factory, but Border barrels can make them to order and they drop straight into the action so I orders mine from Sporting Services at the same time. Can pretty much have any .308 head size caliber that mag feeds.

Dan

No Dan, he didn,t say cratering...he said piercing.

Unless you are running a custom action with a smaller diameter than normal firing pin and hole, you WILL see some primer cratering on this cartridge. Anything that is running typical remington firing pins and holes [most of the rem clones ] will show cratering.

Use a benchrest primer and accept it. Primers start to cause problems when they pierce or blow out. Cratering isn,t an issue in a well engineered gun , and before anyone says, yes i do know cratering is a pressure sign. If you run a 6.5 x 47 without ever getting up to the speeds at which it craters, you will never get the best from the cartridge.

Knowing where to stop is the critical point. ;)

Unless you are running a custom action with a smaller diameter than normal firing pin and hole, you WILL see some primer cratering on this cartridge. Anything that is running typical remington firing pins and holes [most of the rem clones ] will show cratering.

Use a benchrest primer and accept it. Primers start to cause problems when they pierce or blow out. Cratering isn,t an issue in a well engineered gun , and before anyone says, yes i do know cratering is a pressure sign. If you run a 6.5 x 47 without ever getting up to the speeds at which it craters, you will never get the best from the cartridge.

I totaly agree with Baldie,,

He is bang on the money!!!!

Darrel

Sorry Dad :), thanks for correcting me, it was actually a typo even though I posted the link to Robs piercing primer thread :rolleyes:

Personally I just wasn't happy with it cratering and noticed it was slightly harder to extract too, so I backed it off 0.2gr as it was still doing 2954 fps which I was happy with. However the groups are noticeably better approaching this cratering point so it shows what you say about getting the best from it holds true.

Dan

Its a fine line Dan . ;)

You obviously have a real shooter there though buddy. It doesn't matter what the velocity is [within reason ] when it shoots groups like that does it ? :)

Its a fine line Dan . ;)

You obviously have a real shooter there though buddy. It doesn't matter what the velocity is [within reason ] when it shoots groups like that does it ? :)

:lol:

I'm chuffed with it mate (now I've eventually got it), everything people said about that caliber and archer barrels is dead so far . Still need to try it further out before I'm convinced to let the 6mm br go. Petty about the brass price though.

Dan

Just recieved a box of 500 jlk 130g bullets,,,

I will try the vit 140, and re17, and h4350, and my load re15???

If you are all interesed i will show all of my results,,,

and the best of the bunch will be used at the first 600yrd br comp this year!!!!!

Speak soon,,,,, F2n

Guest richness

and the best of the bunch will be used at the first 600yrd br comp this year!!!!!

Speak soon,,,,, F2n

You get the JLKs from Brian Fox mate?

Speak soon,,,,, F2n

Please do.

Archived