I thought I was a sick puppy......

baldie

Here,s one i did for a customer this last week.

He has some permission down south somewhere for Boar, and wanted something different. He also has it down for deer.

Its a Marlin 336 in 45-70..... :D

Anyway, its got a very nice Eotech genuine Holosight fitted which is very much a "heads up " position in actual shooting. Considering using quite stout piggy loads in it, its no bad thing that your chops are away from that stock....because they slap. :lol:

He decided the muzzle blast was bit fierce, so went and spoke to Craig at Third eye, who is making him a muzzle mounted Spartan for it. So he came in and said i wanted it threading. Not the simplest of tasks, as the gun need completely stripping, and the magazine tube shortening, and the tube bung shortening. Managed to take a bit here and there, got the M17 x 1 thread on, invisible cap....and still managed to retain the full magazine capacity. By the way, the slightly ropey crown is NOT my handiwork. The gun shoots so it was left as-is.

A very interesting and rewarding job.

I,m now starting to carry "tactical " rails and bits for Marlins, as there seems to be a ready market for hunting guns like these now.

Nice to be different. :D

IMG_0990.jpg

IMG_0992.jpg

IMG_0994.jpg

Dave,

I like it, certainly enough for boar - and deer in England (if you swing that way :lol: ),

Is this a Marlin rifle or one of the later remington models do you know? Just wanted to see if you'd noticed iny difference in the built quality, lots of info lfoating round re. this and would be good to havea 'Smiths' view.

Also nice to know you're happy to work on these - ever put a new barrel on one or the smaller 'pistol' cartridge brother?

Brgds Terry

I do not doubt that the rifle is accurate. I have never fired a 45-70 that wasn't. In this case, the workmanship on the mods is admirable, but I'm too much of a classic lever gun fan to like the stainless, loop levered guns Marlin has been producing. I have owned several 1895 Marlins and my son currently owns a 1895 Cowboy with the 26" octagonal barrel; a weapon more suited to our open country. Very accurate indeed....~Andrew

Here,s one i did for a customer this last week.

He has some permission down south somewhere for Boar, and wanted something different. He also has it down for deer.

Its a Marlin 336 in 45-70..... :D

Anyway, its got a very nice Eotech genuine Holosight fitted which is very much a "heads up " position in actual shooting. Considering using quite stout piggy loads in it, its no bad thing that your chops are away from that stock....because they slap. :lol:

He decided the muzzle blast was bit fierce, so went and spoke to Craig at Third eye, who is making him a muzzle mounted Spartan for it. So he came in and said i wanted it threading. Not the simplest of tasks, as the gun need completely stripping, and the magazine tube shortening, and the tube bung shortening. Managed to take a bit here and there, got the M17 x 1 thread on, invisible cap....and still managed to retain the full magazine capacity. By the way, the slightly ropey crown is NOT my handiwork. The gun shoots so it was left as-is.

A very interesting and rewarding job.

I,m now starting to carry "tactical " rails and bits for Marlins, as there seems to be a ready market for hunting guns like these now.

Nice to be different. :D

IMG_0990.jpg

IMG_0992.jpg

IMG_0994.jpg

I like it though the sight looks daft, with a nice low mag small objective scop i think it would be very usefull and look a deal better

Terry,

This one is a "Remlin".. :lol:

The quality of the remington built guns is utter, utter sheite. So bad infact, that Marlin are ceasing production of several of the models as of now, and completely retooling . Some of the guns wont be available for 18 months.

We have know this for some time, as several guns have had to go back as i simply could not make them work.

The yanks have been screaming about them for Months, as Andrew will no doubt testify. Its a shame, because a Marlin has always been an accurate, reliable gun....far more so than a Winchester.

Anyway, they are sorting it out.

Kent.

I agree the sight doesn't look right, but it sure does work. The holographic circle is very rapid indeed, and can be viewed from any angle, and is brilliant in a dark wood.

Terry,

The quality of the remington built guns is utter, utter sheite. So bad infact, that Marlin are ceasing production of several of the models as of now, and completely retooling . Some of the guns wont be available for 18 months.

We have know this for some time, as several guns have had to go back as i simply could not make them work.

The yanks have been screaming about them for Months, as Andrew will no doubt testify. Its a shame, because a Marlin has always been an accurate, reliable gun....far more so than a Winchester.

Anyway, they are sorting it out.

Kent.

I agree the sight doesn't look right, but it sure does work. The holographic circle is very rapid indeed, and can be viewed from any angle, and is brilliant in a dark wood.

The darker the wood the better :lol: Guns like women should look right and perform ;) Sorry if there is any PC feminists on here

Terry,

The quality of the remington built guns is utter, utter sheite.

The yanks have been screaming about them for Months

You've got that right. I haven't seen Remmington handle production on anything that hasn't been turned to trash. The Model 39 lever .22 was one of the last firearms that Marlin built that required (and received) hand fitting of the action. When Marlin built them the seam at the side plates was imperceptible, now, not only have the latest ones I've handled been ill fit, but the internal works have been hanging up as well, and accuracy has gone to the pits. The checkering looks as tho it was done with a blunt screwdriver. On top of that, the price had hit $600 US. Another legendary rifle soiled by Remington's dirty hands.~Andrew

The 45-70 as a factory round is pretty anemic: No taming required. If you stoke it a bit, it will kick, but if you load it to snort in a #1 or #3 Ruger, or Mauser Bolt gun (in other words,approaching 458 Winchester class) you're going to need to hang on!~Andrew

Yep, know what you mean Andrew. I had a friend [long gone now] that was a real #1 fan....he had all the exotic cals including a .416 Rigby , i think it was.

I think the problem with this gun, is that your face is not on the stock when the gun is fired, but its sufficiently close enough to get a slap, and make your teeth ache. A cheekpad will cure it. I,ve shot this cal and the .444 [ which i love ] with pads, and they were transformed.

Level 2 loads only in the Marlin i believe, and level 1 for the #1 ?

Here was my US buddy's comment when I fwd'd the pics:

"Suppressor? Hmm... might be interesting with a 500gr slug and a subsonic load of Trailboss. : ) These bush pilot type carbines are quite the rage up here. Tons of .45/70s and .450 Marlins but also a lot being made in .454, .500 S&W, .450 Alaskan and about everything else. Not sure the Eotech would be my sight of choice on one of these short, slender carbines. A Burris Fastfire would get the same thing done and be a lot less bulky. "

Chris-NZ

andy at riflecraft was marketing something similar called the piginator although his was fitted with a brake rather than a mod , cool concept but i rather fancy a 9.3x74r o/u ejector for pig bashing ? something about ejecting those cigar sized cases and dropping another two in just seems right ?

i have a 45/120 sharps already so i wonder if i could get 45/120 o/u ? now that would be cool with black powder.......

Yep, know what you mean Andrew. I had a friend [long gone now] that was a real #1 fan....he had all the exotic cals including a .416 Rigby , i think it was.

I think the problem with this gun, is that your face is not on the stock when the gun is fired, but its sufficiently close enough to get a slap, and make your teeth ache. A cheekpad will cure it. I,ve shot this cal and the .444 [ which i love ] with pads, and they were transformed.

Level 2 loads only in the Marlin i believe, and level 1 for the #1 ?

I have felt that slap! As with all lever guns, they were designed for iron sights so any kind of optics puts you in the market for that left hook to the cheekbone with heavy loads.

Yes, level 2 for Marlin and Level 1 for the #1 Ruger and Siamese Mausers. There is a growing internet myth that the Marlin is "fine" with Level 1 loads and that just isn't so. There is not a Marlin made that will safely and repeatedly take the pressure of a Mauser or a Ruger falling block.~Andrew

• 4 months later...

Archived