6mm BR

gazzar15

A couple of months ago I took the plunge and bought a 6mm BR barrel for my LRS2. I have tried some loads with AA 2520 and got .75 moa groups at 100 out to 200 yards.

I know it can go better and was wondering what the most popular powders are amongst the guys who are shooting the calibre. I am using Sierra 70 and 90 grain matchkings

Thanks

Gary

Varget is the powder for the six, obviously not all bullet weights, but good for the mid weight varmint bullets . I use vhit 135 in mine with 90 grain silver scenars. Its a hot load, but blisteringly accurate.

+1 on Baldie's suggestion. I don't think there is a powder out there to rival Varget for the 6mmBR...I also use N135 for hot loads with the 65gn VMax and the 70gn Sierra Blitzking. All give me sub .3' groups but Varget gives .14' all day with the 87gn VMax/BTHP/SP.

good luck,

Finman

Varget as said is an excellent choice especially with the 105 range of bullets.

My favourite powder for 87 V max is N135 it gives excellent velocity and superb accuracy.

I have also had good luck with N540,N150 and Reloader 15 but the 2 above are the best.

cheers

Dave

N135 has never worked as well for me as it does for other people. AA-2015 and Hodgdon Benchmark were brilliant with 55-70gn bullets in my rifle and 75-87gn jobs saw best results with N530 and N140. N530 is an often overlooked powder in small to mid size cartridges - it's VERY much slowewr burning than its N130 base for some reason giving it around the same rate as N140, but usually producing much higher MVs in this sort of cartridge.

When the bullet weight gets above 80gn you may find VarGet is almost as good as the faster burning powders giving small groups with a bit of velocity loss, but it lets you use one powder with everything if you're not using the 75s and lighter numbers. Good old-fashioned IMR-3031 log powder works really well with some 70-75gn bullets with very high MVs too.

One disappointment I had was the 4895s, both IMR and Hodgdon. In theory they should be ideal for mid weight bullets where VarGet is a little too slow burning, but didn't perform at all for me. H4895 can give fantastic results with 90-105gn bullets and in the wildcat versions of the cartridge, especially the Dasher. The World 1,000yd BR record group was held for a year or two some 4 or 5 years ago by an American whose 6BR load was the 105gn A-Max over H4895.

Bruce what combination did you use for the Egg Shoot ?

Hi

For the Egg shoot I used 31.0gr of Vit N150 over CCI 450 Magnum primers with 105gr Berger VLD for the egg shoot.

My throat is pretty short, so COAL was 2.328" and the bullets were 10 thou into the lands.

Cheers

Bruce

Hi

For the Egg shoot I used 31.0gr of Vit N150 over CCI 450 Magnum primers with 105gr Berger VLD for the egg shoot.

My throat is pretty short, so COAL was 2.328" and the bullets were 10 thou into the lands.

Cheers

Bruce

A wealth of info to be going on with. I will need to order up some new cases to fill up with all these different loads I now have

Many thanks chaps

I personally got much better velocities with Varget rather than N150.

Cheers

Dave

Hi dave

ran into presure early with varget & could go higher without with the vit 150!

altho i did start to see signs or carbon ring so this could have been the reason!

I will re visit it in the spring but for now im using 28.8g of varget for 2780mv as little as 29.3 was showing presure on a warm day!

I do have a shortish throat at around .74 free bore so im going to be slower then most with the heavys i should think!

be good to catch up with u again at some point dave when u come back down this way!

cheers Andy

Archived