Valkyrie .308

baldie

Finished this on today , one of 15 similar guns ongoing at the moment.

It seems to have become a sort of "standard build " at the minute, and very nice too. I,m considering doing a range of custom "standard" rifles that follow patterns such as this one.

Its a Valkyrie repeater stainless action, with all the trimmings .

IMG_0943.jpg

Barrel is a Border cut 5R fluted model, screwcut 5/8 x 18 UNF and invisible cap, bead blasted, same as the action.

IMG_0949.jpg

IMG_0950.jpg

Stock is a mcmillan A5, the action, pillar and devcon bedded, and fitted with a detachable mag floorplate, and 5/10 round AICS mags.

IMG_0946.jpg

Stock colours are olive black, and grey.

20 MOA rail, and jewel trigger.

Mod is a sportac.

IMG_0945.jpg

Looks a heavy gun, but isn't. This would do double duty for stalking , it's so well balanced.

Very nice indeed................got me thinking now..........Will be interested to see what you may have on offer if you proceed with your idea.

Tony.

I LIKE THE STOCK

I suppose it can mark, but only in the way that anything does really. I find it quite a durable finish, and a wipe down with an oiled cloth makes it like new.

very nice Dave :)

Dave, how do you find the bead blasted finish survives over the long term? Does it not stain easily and attract marks?

20Tac, you might be thinking of sandblasting..

'Bead blasting' uses media made up of glass beads that pound the steels surface high peaks over and gives the steel a nice matt/sheen look. It gives a nice smooth finish which resists marks quite well and as Dave said, it cleans up nice with an oiled cloth every now and then.

'sand blasting' is nearly the same but uses particles like aluminium oxide which cuts into and roughs up the steel, normaly used for painting which gives the paint a key to stick to the steel. Although sandblasting dulls the stainless steel's natural shinyness down, sand blasting is not the best thing to do on barrels as a final finish because it will attrack ugly finger prints and other dirt over time and can also add to surface rust as the mositure now has a key to sit in and attack the steel.

There are some barrels out there that have been sand blasted and over time tend to look stained and dirty. If you are stuck with the only option of sand blasting the barrel then you can improve it by rubbing the barrel lengthways with oil soaked wire wool.

Still think the AICS mags look hideous on a otherwise beautiful looking rifle (sorry Dave)

+1 on that but I guess it's what it's built for?

Very attractive toy

very nice Dave :)

20Tac, you might be thinking of sandblasting..

'Bead blasting' uses media made up of glass beads that pound the steels surface high peaks over and gives the steel a nice matt/sheen look. It gives a nice smooth finish which resists marks quite well and as Dave said, it cleans up nice with an oiled cloth every now and then.

'sand blasting' is nearly the same but uses particles like aluminium oxide which cuts into and roughs up the steel, normaly used for painting which gives the paint a key to stick to the steel. Although sandblasting dulls the stainless steel's natural shinyness down, sand blasting is not the best thing to do on barrels as a final finish because it will attrack ugly finger prints and other dirt over time and can also add to surface rust as the mositure now has a key to sit in and attack the steel.

There are some barrels out there that have been sand blasted and over time tend to look stained and dirty. If you are stuck with the only option of sand blasting the barrel then you can improve it by rubbing the barrel lengthways with oil soaked wire wool.

Lee - funnily enough when I said bead blasting, I did actually mean bead blasting, rather than sand blasting!

I left the barrel on my .20 not bead blasted, so I was interested in Dave's opinion on how he gets on with the above rifles.

I have noted a few of the US rifle builders are making actions that run double stack AW mags.

They look much better. Is this something you could offer Dave?

Hi Scotch Egg,

By using the double stack mags - do they become flush fitting in the stock like a sako 75/85 etc,

Any links to pictures of the finished guns ?

Thanks

I have noted a few of the US rifle builders are making actions that run double stack AW mags.

They look much better. Is this something you could offer Dave?

It could certainly be done Dave.

Several reason not to.

The action requires modifying. In needs a larger mag port of different shape, and the feed ramp needs a double scallop to feed from either side.

The double stack system isn,t as reliable as a single stack system, and makes feed difficult with anything non 308 shape standard.

The only plus is a slightly shorter mag.

AICS mags are hard to get at times [ like now, Graham is waiting on AI, AGAIN ]

imagine how difficult a military mag would be to get, with our fondness as a nation for attacking other people and throwing our soldiers lives away.

Yes, they do look a little long, but dont cause any problems in use.The 5,s are almost flush.

I also think single stack is the way to go. My two main hunting rifles

are coverted to AICS as the original double stack drop plate set-up was

a disaster in terms of feeding. Now you don't even notice the rounds gliding in.

By the way, nice rifle Dave.

edi

Archived