6.5x47

tony

How many of you guys are actually using this caliber for hunting/stalking, if so then how does it perform and what loads do you use etc.

Tony.

How many of you guys are actually using this caliber for hunting/stalking, if so then how does it perform and what loads do you use etc.

Tony.

Hi

I think the efficency describes it well

Does it with 10-15 grains of powder less than it's competitor

Slow uptake this side of the pond even though it started it's life in Europe

That's the thing we worship the yanks and until they took it up big time in the tactical field relatively few people was going to even consider it

Now jut talk to Tim Hannan or reloading solutions they cannot get enough lapua cases it's the best selling after 308 line for lapua

That's saids it all

I'm not using for hunting (yet) but would have -no- hesitation building a deer gun on that chambering.

Very efficient as you say and a 120TTSX at 2900 would be a serious deer killer. If you're shooting stuff smaller than reds, any basic 120SP would be fine.

Chris-NZ

Hi

I think the efficency describes it well

Does it with 10-15 grains of powder less than it's competitor

Slow uptake this side of the pond even though it started it's life in Europe

That's the thing we worship the yanks and until they took it up big time in the tactical field relatively few people was going to even consider it

Now jut talk to Tim Hannan or reloading solutions they cannot get enough lapua cases it's the best selling after 308 line for lapua

That's saids it all

Depends on where abouts in the country you are.

I ran one for 3 years ? and have only just sold it, as i,ve switched to .260.

At one point, i gave up putting the reamer back in the cabinet, i was chambering so many barrels in the calibre, and had to run two reamers so i could keep one in tip top nick whilst the other was sharpened. It was 3-1 against the .308 chamberings.

Its been a very big calibre up here in the north for target use. I built quite a lot of deer rifles on the cartridge too, and most people seemd very happy with it using 129 grain sst,s.

Had one guy reckon it was no good on Reds however, but many, many more who rated it.

Its now dropped off, and people are realising that the .260 does everything the 6.5 x 47 does, but easier.

The .260 is never off the lathe now.

The small primer sometimes has trouble with piercing in certain guns eg Remmys, in 6.5 x 47, and the cartridge cannot attain max pressure before the primer goes pop.

I will shortly be making available as an option on my own action, the facility of a reduced diameter firing pin, and smaller firing pin hole for cartridges such as this.

There was a very good reviem on the 6.5 x 47, the .260 rem, and the 6.5 creedmoor in one of the american mags. They reckoned there wasn,t much between all three.

Ballistically, i think the creedmoor may have the edge, but you have to counter that against availability of reamers and being stuck with hornady brass [ which isn,t actually bad ]

I,d like to try one myself.

Hi

Like Baldie (Dave) I now use a 260 Rem for stalking... in fact one that Dave built for me.

I wish that I had discovered this calibre long ago .... its light on recoil (especially with a mod)..... shoots like a laser and drops the Roe on my patch like a dream.

I have no doubt that it can handle Fallow and Red but haven't had a chance at these as yet.

Lapua brass .... N560 or N550 and I use 130g Nosler Accubonds ... works for me.

DaveT

For stalking, the launchpad is rather irrelevant to my mind; but a bullet's a bullet - a 120gr ballistic tip doesn't know whether it came off the top of a 6.5x55, a 6.5x47 or a .260. Nor can an animal tell the difference.

For stalking; doesn't this question actually boil down to whether a 120-130ish gr bullet is enough in 6.5mm?

Rather than the shape of the brass bottle it was attached to? :)

As Matt said,

If you running a 6.5 of some description for deer does it matter what's pushing it?

I've always used a 6.5 Swede for deer, mainly Red's, with 120BT's (about 2850fps from memory) which works. I've had some folks poo-poo this combination as 'not enough' :rolleyes: but lucky for me they've not told the deer this :lol:

My 6.5x47 will match the Swede but I'd probably not change to a 47 from the 55 when the barrel finally goes (which is a long way's off) simply because I've already got all the brass etc.

If I was starting from scratch I'd still go 6.5 Swede (or perhaps 7-08?)

Only adavantage I can see is the short action for the 47 or .260.

Terry

Had this conversation only friday with a guy, Terry.

He had a swede down on his ticket and was undecided. Unfortunatly....he DID ask... :lol:

The swede has its own bolt face, that exists only on european guns. Its long action. The cartridge is outdated, and data is for old military guns. Its very inefficient, powder to velocity wise, compared to a 6.5 x 47 /.260.

It kills deer well. However, with modern advances in guns/powder/bullets, why make life hard ? You have to push the old war horse to its limits to achieve what the short action rounds will, even when its ackley,d.

Opinions purely from a builders view. Matters not one jot to a deer, they will all die just the same with a correctly placed shot. If people are so worried about the ability of any of the 6.5,s on "marginal " shots, then the logical step is a 7-08 or .308 i would say.

I,ve got a couple of deer rifles on the go at the minute. Guess what in ?

.280Rem.

What goes around and all that.

Life would be extremely boring if we all had the same wouldn't it ?

7-08 is still the number one deer calibre here in NZ, at least according to current sales stats.

I use one and must say it definitely does the biz on reds.

Having said that, there's quite a following here for .280s Dave and increasingly .280AIs. I have a spare long action and am tempted to have one built in AI as I need an excuse to go back to Africa ;) I saw a kudu cop a 150gr .308 round right in the middle of the neck. It went down but got right back up and kept running. The basic 150gr projectile had come apart and not punched through. I fancy a premium ~160grainer out of a .280 AI would have done better.

Chris-NZ

Dave,

Agree with you, if I was starting with a blank canvas then a short modern cartridge to utilise the current crop of powders then I would also choose a different case, personally a 47 over the 280 for the reasons you stated more efficient. I have not seen from folks stated results any significant advantage of the 280 over the 47 with 120-140g bullet weights from those I'm seeing in my own rifle, but again that is just me.

The cheaper brass of the 280 for stalking is though a consideration as I tend to loose a lot of brass when stalking (high seat/long grass/swift reload = brass gone :blush: )

Re. reading my post I was not accurate when I said starting from scratch, I meant if my current barrel went South I'd simply re-barrel my Sako75 in the Swede as it works on the land I shoot and I've got all the kit. The only reason I had a Swede in the first place was due to the fact I was shooting an original 94 in historic comps at the time so was reloading the cartridge anyway.

Re. an AI'ed Swede - I'd have to go re-read but I thought Ackley stated he'd not bother AI'ing the Swede as he found no gain? But that would have been with powders of the time.

Also never boring, but always expedient :lol:

Terry

Terry

Yup, but I think the idea of 'efficiency' is a distraction.

The Toyota Prius engine is very efficient; the Perkins CV12 is hugely inefficient.

But if my aim is to get a tank to move, I'll be choosing the Perkins.

Efficiency is not the same thing as performance.

....on that theme, I picked up a couple of boxes of 120gr NBTs today to launch at reds from my hugely efficient 6.5x47

- but I'm still not comfy with the idea; following a couple of 308 150gr failures on reds years back I've never shot anything at a red that weighed less than 165gr.

120gr 6.5 - efficient but - 'gulp' - time will tell on performance :unsure::)

Go with the TTSXs Matt- sure you'll be amazed.

My buddy uses them in his 6.5-284 hunting rifle and they "kill like there's no tomorrow" he reckons, and he's shot plenty to judge.

Chris-NZ

Matt,

If you are talking about the Prius hybrid then not a good example of efficent (but a great example of marketing) - if you look at the complete cars life cycle then the Jeep C4 is by far better/greener :P

T

It matters little if the Bullet that hits a red is 100grn or 180 grn IF it hits it in the right spot. Bullet construction is more important than measured weight. Not all 6mm 100grn bullets are equal not all 6.5's,7mm, 30cal.

Toyed with the idea of a 6.5 x 47 for deer myslef. 6.5's take some beating in an unpredictable wind- however the difference in a 6.5mm, 6mm, 7mm etc is very marginal at Normal deer ranges

Oh, try getting some emergency 6.5x47 factory rounds when your away stalking for a few days and you might see the advantage of the old 6.5 sweede, .270, .243, 308. 30-06.

It matters little if the Bullet that hits a red is 100grn or 180 grn IF it hits it in the right spot. Bullet construction is more important than measured weight. Not all 6mm 100grn bullets are equal not all 6.5's,7mm, 30cal.

Toyed with the idea of a 6.5 x 47 for deer myslef. 6.5's take some beating in an unpredictable wind- however the difference in a 6.5mm, 6mm, 7mm etc is very marginal at Normal deer ranges

Oh, try getting some emergency 6.5x47 factory rounds when your away stalking for a few days and you might see the advantage of the old 6.5 sweede, .270, .243, 308. 30-06.

All good points, yet my gut-feel is that increased bullet mass buys you a little more lee-way on those occasions when they don't hit or perform quite as planned.

(If we factor in local availability of factory ammo as a constraint, and we're talking Highland stalking, I reckon we'd best all stick to 270! :lol::) )

All good points, yet my gut-feel is that increased bullet mass buys you a little more lee-way on those occasions when they don't hit or perform quite as planned.

(If we factor in local availability of factory ammo as a constraint, and we're talking Highland stalking, I reckon we'd best all stick to 270! :lol::) )

Yes the extra mass gives a little yet i believe the play off is decreased accuraccy from standers and kneelers etc. A good dog is way better insurance than a bigger gun when things go wrong

6.5x47 with 120 grainer sp will drop Reds no problem.

Ive built enough for stalkers with no reported failures or comment on the ineffectivness of the round.

120 / 130 TSX would be the bullet of choice for me personaly....

Thats what I use in the 6.5x284 - which is sending at sub 3k - same as your 47....

6.5x47 with 120 grainer sp will drop Reds no problem.

Ive built enough for stalkers with no reported failures or comment on the ineffectivness of the round.

120 / 130 TSX would be the bullet of choice for me personaly....

Thats what I use in the 6.5x284 - which is sending at sub 3k - same as your 47....

I am using 130g Accubonds ... mainly for Roe (which might be a little OTT but at least I am ready for fallow & Red without having to worry about alternative loads).

Just wonder what it is that you especially like about the TSXs?

Cheers

DaveT

Archived