To buy old S&B or not?

Brummy Mark

Hi all,

Im looking at buying an old S&B 3-12x50 FFP No7 reticle non Illuminated.

The glass appears to be in good condition the scope body has a few ring marks to the paint and when zooming in there are a few very tiny black specs on the reticle glass. Turrets are the low hunting type with no zero marker on them and a have a clear plastic disc on top that covers a smaller screw driver slot adjuster. I dont know the age.

Price is around £450 but Im undecided about buying it or getting a newer or possibly brand new Zeiss????

Thoughts please.

(going to go on 223 for fox and the odd bit of longer range pest)

Hi all,

Im looking at buying an old S&B 3-12x50 FFP No7 reticle non Illuminated.

The glass appears to be in good condition the scope body has a few ring marks to the paint and when zooming in there are a few very tiny black specs on the reticle glass. Turrets are the low hunting type with no zero marker on them and a have a clear plastic disc on top that covers a smaller screw driver slot adjuster. I dont know the age.

Price is around £450 but Im undecided about buying it or getting a newer or possibly brand new Zeiss????

Thoughts please.

(going to go on 223 for fox and the odd bit of longer range pest)

They are great scopes for stalking and the like, but for long range varminting a waste of time as you zoom up the reticule becomes too thick for small quarry as you effectively cover too great an area of you target for presision shooting and not having the ability to dial in is gonna make it a no-no for long range shooting. I have put S&B scopes through things that no scope should ever endure and they hold their set zero through anything short of a direct strike with an atomic bomb though

• 1 month later...

BM, Burris do do some good products. I have a Burris black diamond off a guy on here and think it is a cracking scope. Had quite a few deer with it and well pleased with its lowlight ability. Pity they don't get a better name in the market, suppose thats down to the promotion of the product by the importer.

Enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

S & B and swarovski do not normally charge anything for servicing and repair , I had an old tired s & b sent to Germany recentely for a service came back looking like new , cleaned re-gased and the outside coating done , only took a week

thats great service from them. i just picked up a 6x42 off a mate for £200. what optics can you better that with for £200 notes. B)

Archived