Saiga Tactical shotgun

baldie

Heh Heh Heh......

Finally finished the swine.

I bought a bag of crap from a guy who was emigrating some time back, as i fancied a challenge, in building a "race" gun on a Saiga.

Getting the parts out of the states was "interesting " shall we say.[:D]

Anyway, here is the gun.

IMG_0931_crop.jpg

IMG_0932.jpg

Its got an R and R forend, magwell, and AR type triggerguard and handgrip. I've also fitted an AR type safety catch, which is ambidextrous.

The magwell takes surefire 10 round mags, which just slot in like an AR, and loads/unloads are split second, all at the dab of the finger lever.

IMG_0933.jpg

The previous owner had trouble keeping sights on the gun. Not a problem now. A one pice picatinny rail, which is bolted to the gas tube, and bedded on 8" of Devcon. A little aimpoint micro sits on top. Put around 300 rounds down in during the build, and nothing has moved or lost zero. Problem solved.

I also fitted a left hand cocking lever. Firing a shot, dumping the mag, inserting a new one , and firing again, takes around 1.5 seconds.....[:D]

I left all the R and R gear in its nice anodising, and removed the AK47 side scope mount and all other extranious crap, and gave the barrelled action a coat of tactical flat black.

The stock is an ACE, which i love.

This is the most accurate shotgun i,ve used with slug. Simply remove the choke, and watch the "V" bull dissapear at 50 yards....I kid you not. Roll on the next target shotgun at the nationals, but before that, its maiden outing at the Carlisle 2 dayer.

The big problem is American sourced parts Rob. The bits on here were not cheap. Luckily i bought the gun s/h for £900. They are around £1400 new, and frankly, a complete rip off at that price. Its basically an AK47, and probarbly cost £50 to make. With the amount of work required in a conversion, an estimated guess would be around 3 grand.

Not cheap, and not good value, but an awesome, and utterly reliable shotgun.

That's a transformation from when I saw it.

It's making my mouth water and my wallet ache. Think berreta might need to go. 204 shoots like a demon still, loving 32 vmax grouping ( running out of vermin ) need more pigeon ( my favourite ) not had a fox with yet. Cheers again Keith

That's a transformation from when I saw it.

It's making my mouth water and my wallet ache. Think berreta might need to go. 204 shoots like a demon still, loving 32 vmax grouping ( running out of vermin ) need more pigeon ( my favourite ) not had a fox with yet. Cheers again Keith

Dave,

Very nice, looks 'mean', if a gun could talk that one looks like it's saying F-off :)

Does the Saiga use the standard AK trigger/hammer group?

T

Yes it does Terry. There are lighter aftermarket ones out there, but i found this two stage pull on this gun to be a delight. All i did was to warm up the blade and straighten it to suit the new guard/grip configuration.Its a lovely shotgun trigger.

• 3 months later...

Archived