Barrel length for a tactical set up

dannyt

I am putting together a Tactical type rifle and would like to hear your thoughts on Barrel length ,given i will be useing 115 grn Dtacs out of a 243super LR chambering?

Thanks Danny

this is the question i hope to answer (if i use a 1-7 twist will i be able to spin the Dtacs fast enough to stablize them in a 26 inch tube.)and how many people have used i-8 twists at long range with the Dtac type bullets.

I would love to get back to useing a 6mm based round for medium range shooting , and short range comps/club shoots.

Thanks for the replys Fellas this helps me quite a bit , iam going to try both twist rates 8twist in a short tactical rifle and a 7 twist in a 32 inch f class job.if the 8 twist dose not work for dtacs at least i can shove some 107 grns in it.

David Tubb recommends 1-7.5 for the original 115gn HPBT form DTAC, but Bryan Litz gives it an Sg of 1.43 in his 'nominal scenario' (2,800 fps, shot at sea level, 59 degree F, 50% humidity) in a 1-8" twist, and I'd certainly be happy with that in the British climate. The longer 117gn version with a plastic tip looks like it would need something slightly faster.

What about the 111gn mjpt Dtac bullet, has anyone tried those?

Sadly they don't produce these anymore.

I spoke to Superior Shooting supplies who sell Dave Tubbs gear and they said this project was abandoned due to bullet inaccuracy.

Cheers

Dave

Danny,

I opted for a 1:7.5 on my 6x47 as the 1:8 seems to have variable results, some folks rifles work some don't. As it's Tubbs bullet and he recomends a 7.5 twist that's the way I went.

As to your original question re. barrel length, if you're only going to be shooting here in the UK then barrel length does not really matter on a 'tactical' rifle as there are not may (if any) tactical matches where move and shoot is carried out, in/out/over walls/buses/barricades etc., so the fact that the rifle's a bit long does not matter. If you are truly considering a tactical comp then around 25 inches is about as long as you want to go and add some form of muzzle protection, preferably a flash suppressor and if you really must a brake.

T

Archived