Mounting a scope

andybrock

Guys, This may seem a very basic question but when you mount a scope on your rifles what method do you use to ensure the scope is sat level (level reticle) in your mounts? I've always just used my eyes to check the level but I'm not entirley sure this is a good accurate method!

Cheers

Andy

If I have a full length rail fitted and a suiatable flat surface on the underside of the scope I set the eye relief and tighten the rings until i can just rotate the scope slightly in the rings. Then I use a set of engineers slips which are basically just flat pieces of metal and stack them between the rail and the flat bottom of the scope (Base of the turrets) Get as close as I can and then slide feller gauges in until the scope will no longer rotate then nip the rings up slowly until hey are tight but I can still pull the feeler gauge and blocks out, tighten to finish. You can use flat bits of metal instead of the slips.

A picture would help at this stage :)

Alternatively, if you have no rail or slips/flat metal stick two sheets of A4 paper end to end on a target, use a spirit level to draw a vertical line, move back to say 100 yards or where ever you can still see the line from, take a shot at the bottom and then dial in say 20 minutes of elevation and shoot at the same point again. Your second bullet hole should be on the vertical line, if not adjust the scope accordingly. This is dependant on so many things and any cant on the rifle will throw things off. I use anti-cant devices on some of my rifles which are basically just a spirit level that either attaches to the tube or rail.

There are many other ways but these two seem to work for me.

Andy, I am awed by Davy's high-tech method.... Based partly on figures I've seen suggesting that minor scope-cant results in remarkably little difference in POI at normal distances, and partly on my tendency to redneck - DIY - lazy - bodge-jobbery, I take a more basic approach. Did this yesterday: I clamp my rifle into a home-made cleaning rest and, assuming the scope bases represent a true "flat", use cardboard or plastic shims to level the rifle side to side; my level is the small cylindrical phial removed from a woodworking level. Then I mount the scope, tightening the rings so there's still some rotational leeway, and clap the small level onto the flat top of the elevation turret to get that straight. Works for me...

Tony

I use a mini spirit level on the picatinny rail to make sire the gun is level first.

Then with the gun in the rings with the screws loose I place a second spirit level on the top target turret and level by turning the scope accordingly while keeping a close eye on the spirit level on the picatinny base.

Works for me.

I use a mini spirit level on the picatinny rail to make sire the gun is level first.

Then with the gun in the rings with the screws loose I place a second spirit level on the top target turret and level by turning the scope accordingly while keeping a close eye on the spirit level on the picatinny base.

Works for me.

Garry

If you can do it out side you can use a plumb line to ensure the reticle is level (provided you have a vertical line and not just a dot).

Same as John MH for me, obviously ensuring the rifle is level by means of a mini level on the rail, then confirming with the feeler gauges.

Steve

Gents,

Use whatever method you feel best to physically get the scope on square (I like the feeler guages between the scope and the rail) then take your rifle to the range. Set up a blank target that's about 40 inch tall and about 1 foot wide. draw a vertivle line on it (plumb line/spirit level) and put an aimimg dot at the bottom og the line (looks like a very tall thermometer :) ). sight in to the aimimg mark then adjust your scope up in big steps (2mil / 6MOA) shooting a round at the original aimimg mark making sure the verticle on the reticule is i line with the verticle line on the target. Your bullets shloud all track the line if your scopes elevation is running thru' the bore.

Measuring the verticle dispersmant of the bullets can also confirm your scops true adjustment value (you might be surprised :o )

You can also put on some windage and come down half way, put on the opposite value and complete the downward trend to check your scopes horizontal tracking if you want?

Just a suggestion.

Terry

Archived