PM2 or nightforce

Mossy-dog

What would you reccomend for a .22-250 of the above?

Thinking about 5 - 20 ish magnification

To be used in daylight for foxes, corvids rabbits etc at decent range not really dusk etc.

Basically looking for very dependable dialing etc. Weight not an issue (going on an AICS)

Boss is looking at the PM2 but i have mentioned nightforce as a good option so the cost isnt impartant

PM2 if you have cash, owned both and the Nightforce is good, but the PM2 has the edge specially from the optical point of view, (subjective to my eyes anyway, everyone is different) eye relief is also better on PM2. Turrets are better on PM2. There are a fair few PM2 users in the north wales area too :).

To be used in daylight for foxes, corvids rabbits etc at decent range not really dusk etc.

Basically looking for very dependable dialing etc. Weight not an issue (going on an AICS)

Boss is looking at the PM2 but i have mentioned nightforce as a good option so the cost isnt impartant

smit is better option of the two scopes mentioned if money is no problem but if you are only using the scope in daytime untill dusk nothing wrong with nightforce but for all round shooting go for the smit every time.

MB,

If application is as stated it does not warrant doubling the price. Nighforce are pretty dependable, nice easy turrets, have the magninfication range you are looking for.

Only draw back is the way the whole eye pice rotates when dialing mag and the limimted FOV. If you can live with these (not exactly deal bereakers) then NF more than up to task.

Low light then they are very lacking.

BTW have owned and used both makes.

Terry

For the conditions you describe I would favour a second hand NXS.I have owned both but recently gone totally NXS for what I do.Agree glass is better on the S@B but in daylight to early evening its no real issue.Do not really agree with Dan534 regarding turrets I think NF is better but again is a personal thing I suppose.Eye relief? I find my NXS,s give loads of eye relief and was way closer to eye piece on my S@B,s.

Both are superb scopes and both do it all ,try to buy a well looked after used and you probably wont ever loose any money if you decide to sell,cheers onehole.

Boss has decided on the Nightforce - in 8 - 32!

Now has me pushing forward on a new scope (any my fundes are more limited!).

Have found a Meopta 3-12x50 zd tactic with illuminated mildot reticle for just under £600. Seems like a good scope but has anyone used this type and got any feedback?

How much would i be able to get a second hand 3-15x50 nightforce with a dot reticle (NP2dd i think) for do you think.

Dan

• 1 month later...
Guest richness

cost no option - PM2

Cost an option: IOR

NXS second-hand then fine

Mossy dog I have not had a nightforce but I have had a meopta. Good scope well built reasonable glass and was looking one time to upgrade to a 4-16 x 44 tactical, probably similar to what you are now thinking about. Can't remember what it was exactly but the turrets put me off so check them carefully if you are going to dial your shots.

You would be lucky to get a Nightforce secondhand for £750.

For not much more you could have a new IOR, might be worth looking and considering one of these, good glass and nice turrets. Maybe not the nicest looking scopes but very functional.

I don't like Nightforce, period.

After buying a new NXS 5.5-22x56 some years ago and getting it home to discover that as the sun got low on the horizon it would wash the image out completely at about a 15-20 degree angle as the sun caught the object lens. It did this unmounted off the gun just panning across the horizon.

At the time I compared it with my Swarovski 6-18x50-av with 1" tube, and there was no glare inside that Swarovski from a low sun.

So next day, I drove back up to York Guns and got a refund/exchange for another Swaro 6-18x50av. I still have them to this day and they have been excellent scopes.

Guest richness

The glare/flare control on the IORs is top notch; I've specifically noticed that on the moors at dusk. It's very important and often overlooked

Yeah I agree it's very important, and it's easy to over look or people simply don't think this could be a problem on a piece of glassware at that price point.

It seemed a fine scope looking through it over the fields outside the shop at mid day.

I suppose a really long sunshade should help sort this on any problem scope, but on one costing over a grand... back to where it came from that's me.

Guest richness

Why not use the shade? Stops what your talking about and also keeps drizzle off the lens if you get caught in the rain. Shooting a dusk - remove shade.

I always do mate, for sure. yet some scopes are much much better at dealing with head-on light

Guest richness

If 5.5-22 is your choice, why not go 6-24? There are loads of pukka 6-24s. Swaro ph and zeiss victory spring to mind. I particularly think the former is a great secondhand bargain

Archived