Custom actions

Hi guys just wondering can any of you tell me who imports or has any of the following and may be an idea of cost.

Stiller

Lawton

Surgeon

May be looking for a stainless repeating action for a stalking rifle project.

The above have a Remy foot print in their selection.

The other idea may be to use a Sako 75 action.

I don't know if any of you have any ideas or sugggestions.

Cheers

Dave

Hi guys just wondering can any of you tell me who imports or has any of the following and may be an idea of cost.

Stiller

Lawton

Surgeon

Cheers

Dave

I don't think the Surgeon is available in Stainless Steel, ACRC and Valkyrie Rifles both did have them.

Dave,

I thought about this exact subject for a long time.

http://ukvarminting.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10089&st=0&p=87677&hl=custom&fromsearch=1entry87677

When I ditched the AW, I decided that whatever I get put together would have to be assembled from 'best of breed' components - couldn't look back from the AW and feel I'd actually gone in reverse.

Remember I was determined to go left-handed? Well, all my 'best of breed' research led me to go with the Surgeon (even though it's r/h).

All the features built in.

Wire EDM'd after hardening - a critical 'feature' to my mind.

Best (in my weird mind at least) re-sale if you have to ditch it - it's the strongest brand of the 3.

I think Baldie Dave/ SYSS brings them in.

MJR on here has a lovely Stiller in l/h - so nice that it brought me out in a cold sweat when I fired it (having just ordered a r/h surgeon) :lol: Mike -put up some pictures of that lovely gat!

I didn't look at Lawton.

EDIT: just saw John's post -Yup, my understanding that the Surgeon is a 'paint absolutely everything' non-stainless choice.

Dave go for the sako 75 mate you wont be dissapointed i have 3 and lovem to bits

dave just have a look at the gbr action rhino rifles or brian fox s/steel built in rail nice looking action remy clone worth taking a look at i think around same price group as the rest british made i think left hand and right hand have a word with brian cheers Barry

Stiller

Lawton

Surgeon

Cheers

Dave

take a look at the actions Anglo custom rifles are having made,there very very nice

Thanks lads ;)

Something home grown would be good.

Keep the thoughts coming.

What sort of barrel length do you recon on a semi range/tac .308 with usage for deer as well?

I tought somewhere between 22" and 24" ?

Cheers

Dave

I have both surgeons and Valkyries in stock Dave, but will no longer be supplying them to other people just so they can have them built elsewhere. Roger has a load of Lawtons left, and will sell those trade. Our license for surgeons is finite, and i want them for ordered guns now.

Hi dave,How about a stolle grizzly or there new atlas action?Russ gall sometimes has stolle ations about him.Steve kershaw carries lawtons i think.If your thinking of ordering a grizzly from kelblys let me know i wouldn't mind one to keep for a rainy day.I will split the export and shipping with you.As for barrel length my .308 is 16" ideal for stalking.But if wanted one as a duel purpose i would opt for a 24".Size isn't everything ;) ATB SEAN

Steve doesn,t carry Lawtons. We were the sole UK agent for a couple of years and got ripped off to the tune of $35, 000 from them.

Roger still has a large stock of their actions.

Hi dave,How about a stolle grizzly or there new atlas action?Russ gall sometimes has stolle ations about him.Steve kershaw carries lawtons i think.If your thinking of ordering a grizzly from kelblys let me know i wouldn't mind one to keep for a rainy day.I will split the export and shipping with you.As for barrel length my .308 is 16" ideal for stalking.But if wanted one as a duel purpose i would opt for a 24".Size isn't everything ;) ATB SEAN

Thanks Sean, we need to have a chat when we meet up next ;)

DSCF7472.jpg

DSCF7471.jpg

Couple of pics of my Stiller Predator based rifle. I looked at Lawton, Surgeon etc but the priority for me was for a left hander with a box mag. Mike Norris built the rifle and he uses the Stiller actions so I followed his advice and went that route. The rifle performs excellently, is very accurate and everything 'feels' just right when I use it.

DSCF7472.jpg

DSCF7471.jpg

Couple of pics of my Stiller Predator based rifle. I looked at Lawton, Surgeon etc but the priority for me was for a left hander with a box mag. Mike Norris built the rifle and he uses the Stiller actions so I followed his advice and went that route. The rifle performs excellently, is very accurate and everything 'feels' just right when I use it.

That's brought the cold sweat back! :lol:

Matt :D Thought it might. I can appreciate your ethos of wanting to use the very best available and if a left handed surgeon had/was available at the time i'd wanted to use one. But for me being a lefty was a bigger issue so I went for what was available in left hand. I'm sure knowing some of your build components and the standard of the guy who's building it, it will be highly effective and desirable piece of kit so good luck with it. Look forward to seeing it and watching you use it.....

IMG_0484-1.jpg

My left hand action has been available for 12 months now. Single shot, or repeater to work with AICS magazine systems. Tighter tolerances than a surgeon, and made in stainless steel. There are now actions made in every configuration in this country. Russ gall makes a wide variety, Gavin at Anglo makes a stainless one, and a titanium one. I make a stainless one in long and short action, left and right hand, single shot and repeater.

The gun buying british public squeal like pigs about imports, and lack of British made products...then ignore them when people have put their life, soul and hard cash into producing them.

The new tactical action will be in stainless steel, with a fixed rail and lug, and also a 3 lug bolt. Still working on the prototype, but it could well have a barrel extension to make switch barrels simple, like an Alpine.

Then again, i might just say ###### it.

Three nice looking rifles there Baldie. Sounds like you are nearly there with your tactical action, have you any idea when you will have them finished? Are you going to supply them commercially or will they be for your custom builds only? I don't know what a barrel extension is and how it makes swapping barrels easier, please explain.

'The gun buying british public squeal like pigs about imports, and lack of British made products...then ignore them when people have put their life, soul and hard cash into producing them.'

Interesting observations. For the record I am British and I do buy guns. I don't squeal like a pig about imports. I do appreciate British made products and run my own business doing that very thing, I do not ignore other british products either in fact where possible I prefer to use british suppliers. I wish you well with your products and admire anyone willing to 'have a go' but would not recommend likening prospective customers to squealing pigs as a good business plan............

IMG_0484-1.jpg

My left hand action has been available for 12 months now. Single shot, or repeater to work with AICS magazine systems. Tighter tolerances than a surgeon, and made in stainless steel. There are now actions made in every configuration in this country. Russ gall makes a wide variety, Gavin at Anglo makes a stainless one, and a titanium one. I make a stainless one in long and short action, left and right hand, single shot and repeater.

The gun buying british public squeal like pigs about imports, and lack of British made products...then ignore them when people have put their life, soul and hard cash into producing them.

The new tactical action will be in stainless steel, with a fixed rail and lug, and also a 3 lug bolt. Still working on the prototype, but it could well have a barrel extension to make switch barrels simple, like an Alpine.

Then again, i might just say ###### it.

I have looked at some of the uk actions and they seem to be cracking bits of kit.But as yet are bit unknown and i think some poeple are a little bit wary of buying them over say more well known actions.It's a bit of a double edged sword the more poeple using them the more poeple see them and decied to buy them.We should support the home market but i think that we are all victims of fashion and the fashion at the moment is american actions and american barrels.Years ago everybody wanted shilen or hart barrels now it's all kriegers.Do they shoot ant better?I think not there just in fashion at the moment.The more poeple shooting them the poeple see them in action and decide to buy one themselves.Perhaps the makers of uk actions should try and sell them in usa as soon as the yanks are using them everybody in the uk will want one. Cheers sean

I have looked at some of the uk actions and they seem to be cracking bits of kit.But as yet are bit unknown and i think some poeple are a little bit wary of buying them over say more well known actions.It's a bit of a double edged sword the more poeple using them the more poeple see them and decied to buy them.We should support the home market but i think that we are all victims of fashion and the fashion at the moment is american actions and american barrels.Years ago everybody wanted shilen or hart barrels now it's all kriegers.Do they shoot ant better?I think not there just in fashion at the moment.The more poeple shooting them the poeple see them in action and decide to buy one themselves.Perhaps the makers of uk actions should try and sell them in usa as soon as the yanks are using them everybody in the uk will want one. Cheers sean

The US market is so protected it would be flat impossible to sell a UK made action there and it to be cost effective for either party. UK engineering is probably amongst the very best in the World and I'm sure that Baldie, Brian and Russ could show their receivers holding as good or better tolerances than any action from USA. I'm 100% certain ours can too as we've checked. That said you're very right about fashion. I'm sure these rifles will start to win competitions soon but that'll have a lot more to do with the shooter than the action....

heres my left handed BAT actioned RG Rifle....i did ask him for one of his own actions but my order went in over 2 yrs ago and he said at that time he wasnt geared up to do a left handed one but maybe in the future, thats why at the time i went BAT.

if i was in the market again for another custom rifle in the future i would seriously/ definately be going "british" with a serious look at Baldies own or the like. i hadnt really looked elsewhere as RG rifles is only an hour n a bit away distance wise.....as for Callum Ferguson...well my budget wouldnt stretch to what he charges.

rgbat2.jpg

rgbat4.jpg

rgbat2506.jpg

sorry bout pics

sauer /paul

I own 2 Lawton actions, a single shot and a repeater. Had a UK action been available when I made the purchases then I would have gone that route.

I am not in the market for a new action but if I were there are certain requirements I have decided upon. Integral rail and recoil lug, stainless construcion, 60 degree bolt lift and important for me the ability to use Ai AW double stack mags. Think I collision of Badger M2008 and a Surgeon :D

Baldie if this is what the tactical actions are going to be like then I think you will hit a niche, IMHO all the other actions on the market are far to similar and basic remmy clones to distinguish them apart, my Lawtons are just like pretty much every remmy 700 clone out there just with tighter tolerence.

Hi Dave,, How are you doing???

Fella,s, I have had one of Dave's actions in my hand and i can tell you that it is one of the nicest actions that i have had the pleasure of seeing!!!, the workmanship is second to none,, and in stainless steel as-well(awesome)

Dave's rifle builds are top notch, and the manner in which he conducts his business and the support and advice that he gives to old and new customers alike is spot on???,,

Little known????. I don't know about that one, as Dave is an active competition shooter as well (with rifles that he has built and had good success to say the least,,,,,

If i was looking for an action for a build???, i think that i would love to have one in stainless steel,,,,

Honest before you decide, go and have a look at one of the many stainless actions that are sprouting up from English gunsmith,s,,,they are fantastic to say the least.

I can only comment on the people that i have personally dealt with !!

One is Mike Norris, and Dave Wild

Hope that this is of some help???

Darrel

Both of whom are true gentleman

Sauer, nice looking rifle you have there.

Darrel, I saw and handled what I think(I was there Saturday so spoke to someone other than Baldie) is Baldies action at Newark and as you say its very nice. If/when im looking for another action it will certainly be on my list. The more home grown items we can source the better.

Archived