When permitted and with HMR zero test most military ranges are available on club days

worth joining either offas dyke rifle club of FCSA club as they have the most days at ranges where you can optimise their use

may struggle to get it for hunting or an open ticket depends on your experiance and reasoning for uses when applying

the bog at minsterly is cleared for 338 use but its only 100yds so apart from zero testing and a bit of practise its a waste of potential

carlton moore tunnel range is also cleared for 338 i believe

others on here may have more detailed help for you but i've just given you a general outline on your question

Ian

As a civvy you are not going to use a .338 Lap on any UK MoD ranges any time soon regardless of a HME SCC or not but there are a few private ranges you can get out on...

I know a chap up here with a .338win mag on open ticket, and it's not too far behind the Lapua in performance if your intention is to use it for more then just punching paper.

And another one down here too. I have no idea how it performs on the range but seriously - hit a Deer with one and it isn't going to laugh it off. The trajectory is pretty decent with 225's although I don't know how it compares to the Lapua? With home loads there's about 500ft-lbs between the two if I remember correctly.

I shouldn't say this but I really want to spot a bunny when I'm out with it, just to see what happens! I've got any other lawful quarry listed so I'm legal. Just not sure I can get over spending that much to shoot something so small and then not even be able to eat it (or perhaps even find it?!).

There are nmerous miltary ranges you can use 338 on, Warcop, Lydd, Sennybridge to name but a few.

You can have private land passed for 338, if you have an understanding FEO.

Join the FCSA UK, it opens many doors.

There are nmerous miltary ranges you can use 338 on, Warcop, Lydd, Sennybridge to name but a few.

You can have private land passed for 338, if you have an understanding FEO.

Join the FCSA UK, it opens many doors.

I stand corrected then, none of the MoD ranges I shoot on allow the use of .338 Lap Mag and that includes Bisley, when I spoke to the Range Manager last he assured me civilians would not be allowed to shoot it in the foreseeable future which is why people around my area are moving to 30-338 and similar.

Think you will find that 338 is used quite a bit at Bisley.

No one admits to it though......

Accuracy international were using it there only last week. Testing the new AX 338. No one will admit to it though. The military use it only for combat readiness for their snipers apparently.

Its a farce.

I did qualify my original statement with civvys.. so you are saying *normal* Joe Public civilian shooters are shooting .338 on MoD land, and I don't mean for test purposes whilst on official AI or whoever company business. This must mean the well documented block on .338 Lap Mag has been dropped? We were talking about this just a week or so ago and nobody mentioned it.

You wont find anyone admitting to it Davy, nor will the range office know anything about it.

Their insurance would be void if they did.

Civilians CANNOT use the calibre at Bisley. The range template does not allow it anymore, mainly due to ceilings etc.

There were several complaints sent to the NRA.

Had the same effect as pissing on a duck.

Dave

I am

when ive washed the stains out of them, i'll return them to you. :blink:

Archived