6.5x47 powders

Elwood

Been doing some research on this with quickload recently, about the best of the commonly available powders around here(in theory) I've found so far is N550. I initially thought it would be too slow but the velocity obtainable without high pressures seems to defy that logic.The case is on the full side but even the maximum load is not compressed. (using a 26 inch barrel so if yours is shorter YMMV) Just got to find some 95g vmax and I'll be putting theory into practice. If you try them before I do let us know your results.

Been doing some research on this with quickload recently, about the best of the commonly available powders around here(in theory) I've found so far is N550. I initially thought it would be too slow but the velocity obtainable without high pressures seems to defy that logic.The case is on the full side but even the maximum load is not compressed. (using a 26 inch barrel so if yours is shorter YMMV) Just got to find some 95g vmax and I'll be putting theory into practice. If you try them before I do let us know your results.

With N550 I achieved 3400 fps with 95gn Vmax out of a 26" barrel so your theory will work ;)

Dave

Everybody seems to rave on about RL15 and yes its good for velocity and accuracy but pretty sure this powder is causing premature fouling in my barrel?I,m off to try my normal Vit powders for a cleaner and prolonged shoot.Does anyone else feel they get early fouling with this powder?be honest have a good look/feel of your throat area.Onehole.

I have the same problem Onehole.

20-30 shots and tje fouling it produces is like twice or three times the number of shots.

But saying that i dont fancy changing due to the on target results i am getting.

Everytime i think my barrel is clean, i clean it again just to make sure and sure enough everytime i do i get more carbon out.

Garry

I use RL15 with 108gn Scenars in my 600 yard benchgun.

Two of us were sharing the rifle at the comp. on Boxing Day. Normally we clean after 25-30 rounds but it was too cold!

The seventh group shot (after 35+ rounds fired) was the smallest group it shot that day at 2.4 inches. Don't think fouling is more of a problem with RL15 than any other powder.

Cheers

Vince

I have used RL15 but, as others have said, it's filthy stuff. N550 takes less than half the cleaning and I found it to be more accurate anyway. No contest.

Archived