Your best 6.5x47 loads

Si-Snipe

Hi guys

There is very little on the net about loads with 6.5x47. Can you list your best loads, including primers, distance in or from the lands, bullets, trim length, barrel and length.

I am shooting a true-flite 26" using:

123g Scenars

RL15 - 38.3 (I have just increased it from 37.8 as the barrel has run in)

Trimm length - 1.837"

Seated 5 thou off lands

CCI 450

Accuracy is still being tested but approx 1/2" at 200yds currently. More experimenting needed.

Cheers,

Si

Si,

Current load 37.5g R15 under the 123g.

God's teeth, at a consistent .5" 200 yard grouping you'd be picking the fly *hit out of the pepper to improve!

Terry

Enjoy the gun with the load you have, because i seriously doubt you will beat it. You are in benchrest accuracy territory there. If it will shoot consistently 1/4" groups....and i mean every time....then you are already there.

Think how many times you see someone post a dozen groups on the internet, all the same size. All these regular .1 and .2 guns live in most peoples fantasies. ;)

Ask any of the serious benchrest shooters on here how many times they see shot strings that good on a typical BR day.

My load for what its worth .

123 grain scenar

case trimmed to lapua book length.

cci br 4 primer

39 grains of vv540

.010" off the lands.

Hi Si,

Youre spot on with the 38.3 load of re15. I use the same load in mine with the scenars 10" thou in the lands. I use rem 7 1/2 br primers.

I had a problem with high ES but i think ive found the problem ( my electronic scales ) so now i use balance beam.

Have included a photo of a 4 shot group, i got a bit excited with the first 3 in one hole and i pulled the 4th.

I dont think it gets much better than my first 3 though.......

http://emob1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc466/Garry84/ef4c4665.jpg?t=1293986257

Garry.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I find it interesting looking at other peoples loads and what they have found works best.

I found that at 38.4g RL15 gave me a stiffer bolt lift whereas 38.3g was the same lift as the lower loads and accuracy was on par.

Are you guys flattening primers? I am using CCI 450's and they are not showing signs of obvious flattening even when I compare the medium to highest loads, perhaps they are a stronger cup and will not exhibit signs as would a non-magnum primer? This is something I am not sure of (due to lack of experience).

My velocity was 2900 with 37.8 but now at 38.3 so I will check it next time I have access to my mates (Richness's) chrono.

Regards,

Si

123g Scenar

39g Varget

CCI BR primer

3000 fps

.3 MOA average.

Barrel had several 000's rounds thru it and now due for change.....

Lothar Walther by the way

Think your are already there with your rifle/ammo mate.I,m on 27 inch kreiger 290 nk 1/8.5 ,38g RL15 10 thou off with 123 Amax,2900.and yeah when all is good will do !/2 inch at 200 but thats when everything is really good most of all "me".I use GM primers and they look fine.No hard bolt lift and I have fired cases about 8 times now and not looking for a body job yet.Personally not looking for another load or want to improve this performance.Off the bench this load is consistently accurate only beaten slightly by 108 scenars with a huge window of an accuracy node with 38 through to 39.5 of RL15.

Hi Si,

Youre spot on with the 38.3 load of re15. I use the same load in mine with the scenars 10" thou in the lands. I use rem 7 1/2 br primers.

I had a problem with high ES but i think ive found the problem ( my electronic scales ) so now i use balance beam.

Have included a photo of a 4 shot group, i got a bit excited with the first 3 in one hole and i pulled the 4th.

I dont think it gets much better than my first 3 though.......

http://emob1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc466/Garry84/ef4c4665.jpg?t=1293986257

Garry.

Hi Garry,

Nice shooting, Just as a matter of interest what was the problem with your electronic scales? I've just changed to electronic (lab scales) from beam to get more accuracte weights.

Cheers

Andy

Hi Garry,

Nice shooting, Just as a matter of interest what was the problem with your electronic scales? I've just changed to electronic (lab scales) from beam to get more accuracte weights.

Cheers

Andy,

I was using a set of lyman scales and they where crap to say the least, would weigh chrages of up to 1/2 grain out so ive ditched them and havent looked back from using my new rcbs 10/10. There was even a constant difference of .2 of a grain more with the lymans.

Thought the original problem was primers but turns out it wasnt.

Garry.

Andy

Guest richness

I'm running 37.6gr RL15 and Lapua 123gr. Forster FL dies. Definitely magnum primers CCI450

Seating is 7thou into lands of Trueflite 29" barrel

FPS is 2965 with spread of 18

This load did several 1" @ 400y, i'm delighted to report. Less than 37.3gr and it's still under 2" but definitely nips up with a stouter charge. This loading recently got me my 962y rabbit.

I am particularly interested though in running RL17. Early testing shows that 42.3gr RL17 gives 3115fps (above length etc.) and spread over 3 shots of only 9fps. Accuracy was a fingernail at 200y (4sh group). More testing required at longer ranges and over chrony but i'm very hopeful that i can hold onto this load as it gains 150fps over RL15 and has no greater pressure. I have a detailed thread covering this all on the airgunbbs.com but these are the two loads briefly.

I'm running 37.6gr RL15 and Lapua 123gr. Forster FL dies. Definitely magnum primers CCI450

This load did several 1" @ 400y, i'm delighted to report. Less than 37.3gr and it's still under 2" but definitely nips up with a stouter charge. This loading recently got me my 962y rabbit.

I am particularly interested though in running RL17. Early testing shows that 42.3gr RL17 gives 3115fps (above length etc.) and spread over 3 shots of only 9fps. Accuracy was a fingernail at 200y (4sh group). More testing required at longer ranges and over chrony but i'm very hopeful that i can hold onto this load as it gains 150fps over RL15 and has no greater pressure. I have a detailed thread covering this all on the airgunbbs.com but these are the two loads briefly.

Would like to know more re your"RL17" testing,I,ve got a load of it and not tried it yet.Can you give us some more detail please just to read through if poss.Ta Onehole.

• 1 month later...
Guest richness

RL17 load is:

41.7gr RL17

450 cci

123gr scenars @ 2.191" to the ogive (9thou IN)

single hole at 100y

3140fps from 29" true-flite. Spread about 10fps

RL17 load is:

41.7gr RL17

450 cci

123gr scenars @ 2.191" to the ogive (9thou IN)

single hole at 100y

3140fps from 29" true-flite. Spread about 10fps

Mmmmmm!!stonking load,thanks for all this info may try the R17 another day if only to see if it don,t foul up my throat?For yours and others interest, totally different load and lower velocities etc with VIT powders but zero fouling in my kreiger now for well over 100 rounds.ATB Onehole.

• 4 weeks later...

I have just come back from testing some new loads.The winner seems to be CCI 450 primers, 40.5gr of vit 550 and a 123gr matchking.Groups averaged around .3 to .5 with no pressure signs.I was using Rl 15.But i spoke edgar bros and they won't be any reloader 15 until june.So i thought i had better find a alternative as i am nearly out of RL15.All that remains is to chrony them and test them at some further distances.

Cheers sean

Archived