F Class European Championships - Bisley

Just arrived back from three days of F Class shooting at the European Championships at Bisley.

Like to say a BIG, WELL DONE

To Dave - 6mmBR, who came 5th in the indviduals and was in the GB Team who came 1st in todays team event.

Also like to add congratulations to Vince (Gunpimp) for coming 3rd in the FTR Individual competition.

Great shooting Dave and Vince :D :D :D :D :D :D

Dave will hopefully give a breakdown of his weekend;

Here is mine - to start with, I forgot my camera, so no photographs, sorry.

The competition ws over three days, the individuals on Friday and Saturday and the Team and Rutland Cup on Sunday.

Practice was thursday for those who could make it.

Round count was 95 for the Individual and 34 for the Team event.

As usual (and I probably am no different to any other shooter) I make my rounds at the last minute, well, a few days before any comp, I think that it reduces the risk of "cold weld" (or whatever the tech term is) bettween neck of case and bullet.

I hadn't planned on entering the Europeans as I didnt have the time off work originally, but following the win at Diggle, I was cajoled into entering.

I was also short of bullets so ended up buying two boxes of 180's from separate sources to supplement what I had left.

So, I prepped my brass as usual, loaded 150 odd rounds and at 00:30 after finishing work friday morning drove down to Bisley, in pretty much torrential rain and high winds.

Thw weather wasn't boding well..that turned out to be the least of my problems.

Arrived in the small hours and found my room, once unpacked I managed a couple of hours sleep before getting up at seven to get booked in for the comp and carry out obligatory HME zero check.

There was a practice session bettween 08:30 and 10:00 at 800 yds, so I put a few rounds down range getting 5's and V's, happy days I thought.

The weather was dull, overcast and threateneing rain, winds were gusty bettween 8 and 13 mph - not so much of an issue with the WSM.

Detil 1 (me) set up at 900 and started the 2 and 15, first sighter a 4, the second a V bull, ok I thought, zero is on and wind sorted.

I then had a frustrating shoot getting some unexplained vertical stringing - scoring 68.2v (I'd wanted at least a 70+)

Couldnt understand the stringing, i'd cleaned the rifle thoroughly and I knew it wasnt the load development as it shoots very low single digit ES..

Anyway, moved back to 1000 yds for the second stage - this time I was detail 3 so a long wait to be had.

The weather turned to drizzle and the wind changed direction to 45 degrees and 8 - 14 mph gusts - tricky.

On the point, sighter 1 went to a low 3 (my usual zero is 19.5 moa for 1000) so upped .5moa on the scope, expecting a 5 and shot a high 3 on the same vertical plane (wind correction was fine), now I knew I had a problem, as the rifle was effectively shooting circa 2 moa difference in thos last two shots - not confidence ispiring.

I struggled through the shoot, ending up with a 84.3v (max score would be 100.20v), so again, unhappy chap.

I returned to my cabin for a thorough check of everything, cleaned the bore, checked the chamber, then examined the ammunition and a light bulb switched on in my head....

The bullets - Berger 180's, were two different shapes - I realised I had (inadvertantly) made up a batch using both thin and thick jacketed versions, which shoot to different POI, this explained the vertical stringing...

So I sorted all into lots and fortunately had enough of the thicks (which shoot better in my gun) to complete the comp.

Saturday was at 800 (2+15), 900 (2+15) and 1000 (2+20)

Conditions were better, lower wind but fishtailing from 10 o clock at 5 ish mph.

Managed a 75.8v at 800 yds, better now I knew what was wrong on friday. The rifle back on song.

900 yds, shot a 71.5v - again pleased with this.

1000 yds shot a very pleasing 95.5v

I finished at 32 out of 93 entrants to the individuals - kicking myself over the mistake re different bullet lots - simple mistake (that wont be happening again)

Now the team shoots.

I'd been asked to enter as a 4 man team for the Rutland Cup, Ian (Elwood), 6mmBR (Dave), another chap and myself.

We were all set to enter, with Ian making the trip up on Sunday to shoot.

Ian was looking forwards to the comp (as we all were), but on sat evening, both Dave and myself were asked by the GB Team captain to be in the GB squad. Dave in the "A" team, myself in "B" team.

It was a difficult call to make to Ian on Saturday to let him down, but neither Dave or I wished to pass on the invite (as I hope Ian understands)

The teams consist of 8 shooters, 2 wind coaches, 2 plotters.

Dave was shooting in his team, I was plotting - having let myself down by the results of fridays shoot no doubt.

Anyway, Sunday.

Shot at 900 and 1000

I dont remember much else as I was concentrating that hard on my role.

Sufice to say GB "A" team won 1st place, GB "B" came second (6 points shy)

Grant Taylor won the European Individuals - very well respected shooter, who built his own rifle two years ago.

I hope, Dave has some pics to add and his own thoughts on the weekend.

It was fun, frustrating, but very enjoyable nevertheless and very proud to say I have been in the GB Team.

As Andy said it was a fantastic weekend and I was so pleased with the result.

A note to say congratulations to Vince (Gun Pimp) taking a very fine 3rd place in the Europeans FT/R class.

Also Laurie for winning that Nightforce in the raffle(lucky bugger)

As ever it was a weekend spent in good company and humour.

I'm busy sorting my kit out but as soon as I have I will write up a bit more and put some pictures up.

Hopefully Vince will have some also.

Cheers

Dave

This was my first European Championships and I had been looking forward to the immensley.

I arrived in time for the practice day and was joined by Ian and a friend Andrew who was shooting in FT/R class.

The wind was pretty strong with gusts to 20mph plus.

We shot at 800/900/1000 and things went as well as they could with such strong winds!

It is the first time ever I have dialled 8.5 MOA for wind on my .284

Suffice to say I was glad the forecast for the first day of the match gave lighter winds.

044.jpg

My .284 Barnard set up and ready to go.

The first match was a 2+15 at 900 yards and although the wind was tricky I came off with a 74 8V.

A good start so I relaxed a bit. Due to the squadding my next shoot was the last of the day at 1000 yards.

This time it was a 2+20. The time to shoot came 3.15pm the wind had picked up and due to the cloud the light half way through the detail got tricky.

I was relieved to come off with a 92 3V.

The second day dawned with light winds and cold crisp conditions a releif from rain and wind of Friday.

The first shoot was 2+15 at 800 yards which I managed to keep all my shots in and finnished 75 8V

The rest of the day continued on a similar vain I dropped a couple at 900 and again at 1000 but thankfully no major disasters along the way.

So it was finnished just to wait for the stats and the announcement of the team selection for Sundays European Team comp in the Army club at 7.00pm

034.jpg

I was landed a 5th place overall and being selected to shoot for GB

We had a great night with curry and a very hot chilli followed by a firework display Mik had arranged on Stickedown.

A good crack was had by all.

So it was home to prepare for the team event.Team captain Dave Kent wanting us all on range at 7.55am.

The morning of the match again dawned cold and bright with slight mist over Stickledown.

The match its self being 2+15 at both 900 and 1000 yards.

The teams were busy milling around and setting up.

037.jpg

I was selected to shoot 3rd on GB A's left target, this is a view from behind my rifle at the 900 yard point.

042.jpg

We all shot pretty well and it was good to be coached. I was chuffed and had scores of 74 6V and 73 6V respectively at 900 and 1000 yards.

All we had to do now was wait to see if we had done enough.

Good news GB A had taken first place and the gold medal and GB B second place and the silver.

So onto the prize giving.

047.jpg

GB B with their silver medals

052.jpg

057.jpg

GB A with the cup and gold medals

045.jpg

Myself with my 5th place trophy.

Well guys a superb event and a big thanks must go to Mik Maksimovic who organised it all, this guy and his hard work has really aided the growth of this sport.

As ever at these events it was great to meet old friends and off course make new ones.

So all you budding F'ers have a go it is one of the friendliest disciplines to shoot.

Cheers

Dave

Yes - a great event and one of - if not the - biggest F Class shoots in the world. 160 entries and eleven nations I believe.

We even had sponsorship - from Tim Hannam, RUAG, Fox Firearms, Sightron, Aimfield Sports, Osprey Rifles and Dolphin Gun Co. (Apologies if I've left anyone out). Superbly run by Mik Maksimovik & Co.

We had all weather conditions from rain, near zero visibilty, wind and sun - very challenging!

We will have a full write up with results and loads of pics in the December issue of Target Shooter.

Cheers

Vince

Dave,

Outstanding write-up and pics - pretty impressed that you were composed enough to take pics over your rifle during the comp too!

But,

So all you budding F'ers have a go

...you might want to re-visit the terminology on that one :lol:

Dave,

Outstanding write-up and pics - pretty impressed that you were composed enough to take pics over your rifle during the comp too!

But,

...you might want to re-visit the terminology on that one :lol:

Matt thats the nick name the TR(target rifle) fraternity have nicked named us :rolleyes::lol:

Cheers

Dave

I came back from Bisley with over 400 photos of the 'Europeans' which has now reduced to a bit over 200 with more to be added of the Sunday team shoots taken by Gun Pimp (Vince Bottomely) and maybe Ramon Fito from Spain of some F/TR shooters.

After cropping, compressing, adding captions etc, etc I'll put them up on my Photobucket page as a series of albums.

Laurie's PhotoBucket

Give me a few days, though. (GB-FCA Round 6 at Diggle is there already if you've not previously visited.) Vince, Mik Maksimovich and I will collaborate on writing up an eight page report for Targetshooter.co.uk December issue too.

Vince did really, really well in F/TR with third overall (out of 70). He would have won if he hadn't dolloped a bit in Match 4. My .223 Savage had a good weekend despite my best (worst!) efforts with 17th F/TR, 10 places down due to a poor 1,000yd match on Friday, but up with all but the top few .308W shooters in the other matches including a 90 in Match 5 at 1,000yd. In the Sunday team matches I was able to hold my own alongside GB F/TR 'Blue Team' colleagues right on the average scores with 71 at 900yd and 69 at 1,000yd (both ex 75) to help us get Silver behind the GB F/TR 'Red Team'. GB F/TR Captain Stuart Anselm has advised that our two 4-man GB F/TR teams' combined scores were good enough to have given us the Bronze medal in F-Open (which has 8-man teams) - a good omen for British F/TR efforts in the next F-Class World Championship at Raton, New Mexico in 2013.

A great weekend, enjoyed myself immensely despite getting soaked to ther skin twice in one day (Friday 5th including walking back to St. George's Lodge from the boozer after 10 pm when the heavens opened again). David - great result. Well done! Must introduce ourselves at a future round and have a natter.

219 images have now been uploaded into 4 albums on

Photobucket

More, primarily shooters competing in the teams matches on Sunday 7th, will be added in around a week's time when I get Vince Bottomley's photos.

Some lovely photo's there Laurie.

I look forwards to reading the full blow by blow account of the competition.

Kicking mysef even more for not taking my own box brownie.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived