Last weekend I found myself down in Cornwall for a spot of stalking courtesy of TerryH.

Crepuscular red stalking is a new thing to me; but one major upside was the opportunity for a bit of daytime range fun.

I fell in love with Terry’s Axtel 45-70. I’ll get the details wrong, but it was a falling block target Sharps. Beautifully made….and just like loading and firing a miniaturised field gun.

Slide2-1.jpg

I was having one of those ‘pulse’ days. Couldn’t bughole the AW; so pretty awestruck to shoot this group with Terry’s fantastically prepped ammo (groups calibrated by finger. Left hand group = open sighted 45-70; right hand = AW with 25 power scope…..what a waste of time the AW is!!)

Slide1-1.jpg

Whilst there, delighted to make the acquaintance of Varmartin. (Rather an annoying chap; he turned up and immediately bugholed my AW. :lol: )

After a bit of chat, we all decided to create a 3 gun comp:

3 rounds 45-70 – benchrested at the large black target.

2 rounds AW – at 2 x 5mm dots

3 rounds 6.5x55, from the Sako shown, standing unsupported.

Slide3.jpg

Slide4-1.jpg

To cut a long story short, Varmartin took the day. Here’s his target for the 45-70 and standing unsupported.

Look hard at the 45-70 group.

That’s an open sighted black powder 45-70.

Slide5.jpg

Good fun :)

Some great shooting going on there - well done, glad you had fun. I recognise a certain range not a million miles from Zelah, hope to be down there myself in a few days. Tell us more about those reds...

Black powder is not something I ever got into, though I can appreciate the appeal; I've fired one or two BP weapons, my favourite being a repro Navy Colt, great sense of history putting rounds downrange with one of those.

TonyH

wicked shooting guys!

all the cornish lads ive me have been top guys!

martin included :)

when tiffe get his rage open proper will be good to meet a few more faces as im sure others wll make the trek down!

cheers Andy

I very nearly didn't go to the Range that day, but I'm glad I did for a few reasons....

The first was to have the opportunity to shoot terry`s Axtell Sharps...that is one very nice rifle and beautifully made it is too.

secondly to catch up with Terry again and also to meet Matt for the first time ( annoying him as well i hear ) B) ..sorry about that .. :P

So thank you to both of you for a fun day and for using your rifles too.....though I fear I may not get offered another go with them !

I would dearly love to shoot that 45-70 at a little bit farther than 100m...possably at a bucket a short horse ride away. :D

Now to the burning question....how did you get on stalking ?

Gentsa

A very pleasent 'unplanned' afternoon, range to ourselves, good company, good shooting and good fun - perfect.

Martin, hats off to you, excellent shooting with unfamiliar rifles. You are more than welcome to stretch the 45-70's legs about 600 yards on that load, starts coming down like a mortar, but it's on an open ticket so find us a location (bit much fo bunnies though).

Matt, 130 years of developemnt and the smokless SWS still gets beat :lol: . Next time on the deer.

Terry

I will have to take you up on that offer Terry, very kind of you indeed....600y is more like it....Ill bring the bucket.. :lol:

Good catching up with you ;)

Good luck on the Deer....should be a few Hinds about that need knocking over next trip out ..

Guest Admin 40

Hi Terry,

it seems you are the 45-70 king....

I have taken possession of a nice Ruger no1 in 45-70 am curious about loads for it. I dont want to touch the devils filth (balck powder to the uninitiated) but wondered if you had any succesful nitro loads you could share.

regards

DTA Europe

DTA,

Would not want to put the '45-70 crown' on, but I do enjoy BPCR's, used to shoot Silhouette with them, much fun.

The Ruger no.1 is a very nice rifle based on a old British action (who's name escapes me at the moment). You can probably load it up past plesantness :wacko: into 458 Win Mag levels.

If you are using cast bullets then a powder that was made specifically for this application (lighter loads in straight walled cases) is the Accurate 5744 (see here for basic load tables http://www.accuratepowder.com/reloading.htm ). Other good sources of info. are the Lyman manuals, lots of cast bullet inof there. I've have consistent results in 40-65, 45-70 and 45-90 out to 300 yards.This powder will also work fine with jacketed.

Remington and Winchester brass is good, Starline's OK but can be a bit hard, no problem for black but crimping with smokeless can cause accuracy variations.

One thing you can do though with the No.1 to improve its accuracy is to 'tune' the barrel. This is an easy process, if you take off the fore end you'll see it's bolts to a 'tang' and not the barrel. If you measure the gap between this tang and the underside of the barrel 9near the fwd end of the tang) then get a selection of shim between 050 and 070 thicker than this gap. Gently pry the tang down and insert the first 'bigger' shim and fire a few rounds, try each stack in turn (.010 steps are good enough) you will find the group closes up. There is an after market jobbie that does this called a 'Hicks' http://www.eabco.com/HicksAccurizer1.html

Anything else just shout - enjoy

Terry

DTA,

The Ruger no.1 is a very nice rifle based on a old British action (who's name escapes me at the moment). You can probably load it up past plesantness :wacko: into 458 Win Mag levels.

Terry

Are you thinking of the Farquharson action Terry?

I have a love/hate affair with BPCR, have not owned one now for several years but could succombe at the click of a finger.

Back in 1998 i competed in the inaugeral Quigley match at the Diggle gaining a second placing in the blackpowder class, shooting a Pedersoli Sharps No.3 Sporting.

Bullet was a home cast 405grn lyman lubed with a concoction of neatsfoot oil, beeswax and neutrogena facial soap all melted together in a double boiler.

This was pushed along by 56grns of Pyrodex RS compressed 3/8" covered with a milk carton wad, all fired by a federal 215 large magnum primer.

Best group ever was 10 shots into 1 1/2" @ 100yds when i dropped the load to 48grns, great times :)

Ian.

PS. That Axtel is a stunner. :wub:

Sounds like you had fun, shame the Reds were elusive.

The Axtel :wub:

Archived