leupold scopes

huntsman

I have heard mixed reports about leupold scopes ,I have have always fancied one but never owned one. Some people hate them or say that they do not compare to the european glass or nightforce.

But if you look at the magazines or go to competions (esp. bench rest) alot of people still seem to use them. It just seems a bit odd that if they were not up to the mark, why the top competitors would comprimise on the optics having spent so much on the rest of their kit. :ph34r: Or is there a reason why they are used so often in competition?

dave

I have heard mixed reports about leupold scopes ,I have have always fancied one but never owned one. Some people hate them or say that they do not compare to the european glass or nightforce.

But if you look at the magazines or go to competions (esp. bench rest) alot of people still seem to use them. It just seems a bit odd that if they were not up to the mark, why the top competitors would comprimise on the optics having spent so much on the rest of their kit. :ph34r: Or is there a reason why they are used so often in competition?

dave

I have had 4 and sold two. In short, for reliability, good service and reasonable optical clarity, I cannot fault them. I have a VXIII LR 4.5-14x40 on my .17HMR and a VXIII LR 6.5-20x40 on my .204Ruger, both with the Varmint Hunter reticle and they are excellent. The reticle works, the mechanics are precise and neither scope has shifted zero in years.

I also have a Nightforce, a Swarovski and, more recently, a Schmidt & Bender. Are they better or just different? Hard to say, as the Leupolds serve one purpose, the remaining another (with the possible exception of the Nightforce).

My feeling about Leupolds is that they are good, honest, scopes but their price is a bit on the 'heavy' side (not in the states mind...) and I think that is why they are grouped for comparisons with European glass. OK, there may be the odd niggle (e.g. eye relief in larger magnifications; perhaps light gathering abilities) but, in the main, my experience tells me there is little to complain about.

Would I buy another one? Probably, if the money was right. But, for what we are being charged in the UK, I may save a few pennies more and go for a European make.

Finman

I have had a VX3 and now sold it, as others have said they are good reliable scopes if a bit pricey. In low light they are not good at all but for daylight and shooting in a lamp beam they are fine. Never had any problem with mine at all and the warranty back up is supposed to be excellent.

The BR boys use them because they have a weight limit to work to and the 36X is a light scope.

If you spend late evenings waiting for adult foxes to come in the go European.

A

I have had a VX3 and now sold it, as others have said they are good reliable scopes if a bit pricey. In low light they are not good at all but for daylight and shooting in a lamp beam they are fine. Never had any problem with mine at all and the warranty back up is supposed to be excellent.

The BR boys use them because they have a weight limit to work to and the 36X is a light scope.

If you spend late evenings waiting for adult foxes to come in the go European.

A

I use MK4, VX-III and VX-II scopes and have no complaints.

Since the schott factory in Europe is all but closed now where is all the 'european' glass coming from.......

Mark

Hi . I have four leupold scopes VXII 3-9x50. VXII 4-12x50 VXIII 4.5-14x50 VXL 4.5-14x50 all good for what I need. and their back up is very good I sent one back last year because of a small problem. and I think the turn around was something like four weeks. Just to add I bought three of the four while on holiday from Federal way guns. and The fourth was a present from my brother. Eric

Interesting that VX7 is up in the top league, maybe they have cracked it as the rest of the order does not by and large seem unreasonable. My Swaro PVS nice scope as it is isn't in the same league as Victory and S&B.

Anybody got a VX7?.

A

dave

leupold have different eye relief /and sum don t have click turrets.beware

I have 2 VXIII 8.5 x 25 x 50 scopes 1 on 308 stalking rifle ocassionally used for target work

1 on 22-250 foxing/ lamping rifle both are good just swapped from a third one on my 300winmag to a 5.5 x 22 x 56 nightforce only because of the slightly better eye relief

have shot 1000yds with leupold with no problems good repeatable dialing

at the time when i bought my leups they were 2/3rds the cost of nightforce scopes and are still about the same i believe, so excellent value on the VXIII's

would make sure you get models with target turrets as the none target type are a pain and not all the long range ones in VXIII have target turrets

Ian

leupold have different eye relief /and sum don t have click turrets.beware

Leupolds generally have decent eye relief and that makes them better than many Weavers for example.

It's only the cheap/?older models that don't have clickable turrets and I'd suspect all of the current ones worth talking about do. I have a 3-9 Compact AO on my SS 10-22 and that is the only Leupold I have that doesn't have clicks. It's only on there because of the trim dimensions and AO.

Chris-NZ

The VXIII I had was shocking at low light. Sold it after a day.

Also sold my 3-9x50VXII because of lacking low light performance.

Otherwise nice light scopes.

Even Zeiss Conquest are way ahead.

edi

Thanks for all the replies mostly positive , I will have to give one a go some day . The big attraction has always been that they are light weight . Low light use would not really be a major issue, mostly for target use and varminting.

Ones choice of glass is such a subjective thing.. I've done some of my best shooting with a cheap Tasco scope mounted on a Savage varminter that had misaligned scope mount holes on top of the action & had to be re-zeroed every 30 rounds.

As time has gone by, i've improved on glass and what they're mounted on but the thrill of taking out that long range fox or the winning of a comp has never been so sweet as when it was done with a cheap scope and a crappy rifle.... :lol:

I have 3 Leupold's altogether 1 mk4 and 2 VXL's i think there great but i did buy them when there was a big difference in price between those and a Nightforce.

When i had to buy my last target rifle scope i bought a Nightforce as there was about £50 price difference and the Nightforce had the better reticle options.

The next time i have to buy a new hunting scope i will be looking at the prices of swaro's, schmidt's and leupolds.

Dave,

Leupolds are a pretty reliable scopes, immense range to choose from (bit of Chinese in the lower models) and their warranty if for the life of the scope, so buying used is not an issue. Bit pricy though.

Personnally, I would not now buy on for serious use at the high end of things. For target (say F-class) Nightforce or March (Sightron?), hunting (into low light times) tends to be European and tacticool S&B, Hensoldt & Premier (designed by ex S&B guys).

Depends what you want from the scope? Have a look through varous makes, side by side if you can, then decide, it's you who's going to be using it (and paying for it :rolleyes: )

Brgds Terry

Archived