Recommendations for Cerakote in home counties?

JamesH

I’m looking to get at least one rifle done and would really like some recommendations for who to go to. I’d prefer local so I can drop off and collect. Around the Beds, Herts, Bucks area would be ideal.

Thanks in advance

P.S. I have tried searching but with limited success for my area and also for recent recommendations. 

DIY ?   No.

Not unless you have access to a clean, dry aluminium oxide blaster, and an oven large enough, that will run at 300 degrees, plus soaking tanks etc.

Not really sure who would be near you ? Maybe Chris at Spartan refinishing ? Or Jay at Tactical coatings ?

I'm in Barnsley, which is nowhere near you.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not looking for DIY, I’d like a decent job doing of it!

Hoping to find someone with a reputation for good work and reasonable turnaround time that I can drop off and collect from. I travel quite a bit but mostly around the counties I’ve mentioned plus over to Oxford direction.

On 12/14/2019 at 3:30 AM, baldie said:

DIY ?   No.

Not unless you have access to a clean, dry aluminium oxide blaster, and an oven large enough, that will run at 300 degrees, plus soaking tanks etc.

Not really sure who would be near you ? Maybe Chris at Spartan refinishing ? Or Jay at Tactical coatings ?

I'm in Barnsley, which is nowhere near you.

Americans have been successfully DIY Cerakoting for years 

Thanks again. Chris at Spartan is going to come back to me with a quote and timescale.

I’m happy to pay someone who has done it plenty of times before, has all the equipment and does a good job. I don’t have time to DIY it and that’s the main reason I want to pay for it to be done.

Are there really only a few people around the country that do it? I was expecting a few more recommendations given that it seems to be really popular and loads of people have cerakoted barrels now.  

5 hours ago, JamesH said:

Are there really only a few people around the country that do it? I was expecting a few more recommendations given that it seems to be really popular and loads of people have cerakoted barrels now.  

Seems to be about 1/2 a dozen companies that I see recommended all the time, so assume there arent that many that do it, I guess its a fairly niche thing, being a painter and an RFD. Chris/Spartan also has/did have a car bodyshop from recollection - it was customers of that that had him spray stuff and told him to start Cerakote-ing from recollection, something along those lines.

1 hour ago, Moorlander said:

According to a trade Cerakoter 😉

The bottom line is if you are capable of painting motor vehicles to a good standard you can cerakote firearms, its not a dark art or even a green or FDE art :)

That rules me out then - I can rebuild a differential no problem but getting a good paint finish has always been a struggle. 

13 hours ago, Moorlander said:

According to a trade Cerakoter 😉

The bottom line is if you are capable of painting motor vehicles to a good standard you can cerakote firearms, its not a dark art or even a green or FDE art :)

No, according to an honest man.

I'm one of the oldest cerakote users in the UK, and have seen many come and go. Corner cutting and incorrect use of the product, simply de values it, and gives it a bad name.

I quite agree regarding painting vehicles, that's how I started, as a hobby.

When you have a video with guys stating their paint has "chipped" you know, its gonna be the muppet show.

If you are near Chris at Spartan James, go and see him. You will get a proper job done, at a price you couldn't set up and do it yourself for.

I have rifles painted by both Dave and Chris.

After many years of quite hard use the paint has stayed where it was put....... testiment enough to both I think? 😀

3 hours ago, baldie said:

When you have a video with guys stating their paint has "chipped" you know, its gonna be the muppet show.

Muppet show, Ha ha ha, that comment alone means I'm bringing my ArmaLite to you Dave. :D

2 hours ago, DaveT said:

I have rifles painted by both Dave and Chris.

After many years of quite hard use the paint has stayed where it was put....... testiment enough to both I think? 😀

Thanks, that’s absolutely the sort of thing I wanted to hear. I could travel to either but I’m usually travelling south so Chris would just be a bit more convenient.

good evening,i am down in oxford and tried to get a rifle done but the costs just kept going up and up !,supply rifle stripped one price want rifle stripped up to another price,want stock painting up the price bolt done up etc etc got to the point that having it cerocoated would cost more than the rifle. if you get a fixed price for just dropping your rifle as is at the painters let me know ,thank you.

1 hour ago, banus02 said:

good evening,i am down in oxford and tried to get a rifle done but the costs just kept going up and up !,supply rifle stripped one price want rifle stripped up to another price,want stock painting up the price bolt done up etc etc got to the point that having it cerocoated would cost more than the rifle. if you get a fixed price for just dropping your rifle as is at the painters let me know ,thank you.

I’m hoping to drop off a rifle with no stock as I’ll be restoring the woodwork while the metal is away being done. I’ve asked for a quote for everything and am waiting to hear back so I’ll let you know as soon as I get the quote in. 

Its pretty obvious that the more parts you want painted then the more it will cost.

However there is no way you reach the cost of the rifle unless its a rat-cheap goner!

Talk to Dave Wylde or Chris Hunt for a fair price and grade A job.

16 hours ago, JamesH said:

I’m hoping to drop off a rifle with no stock as I’ll be restoring the woodwork while the metal is away being done. I’ve asked for a quote for everything and am waiting to hear back so I’ll let you know as soon as I get the quote in. 

that would be good ,thank you.