Marking Brass with Sharpie's

MarkR

I wish to mark my 6.5CM brass cases with different colour Fine Point Sharpie's.  I have seen a pen holder on a USA based site (which looked like it was 3D Printed) that produces coloured rings.  Does anyone know of a UK based supplier/maker of such a device that would hold at least two Sharpie's to speed up the process of marking the brass cases?  Thank you.

2 hours ago, MarkR said:

I wish to mark my 6.5CM brass cases with different colour Fine Point Sharpie's.  I have seen a pen holder on a USA based site (which looked like it was 3D Printed) that produces coloured rings.  Does anyone know of a UK based supplier/maker of such a device that would hold at least two Sharpie's to speed up the process of marking the brass cases?  Thank you.

I'm sure some American company will sell you an anodised aircraft grade aluminium and titanium doo-hicky for $$$$$$ - it's bound to help accuracy  😁

22 minutes ago, Popsbengo said:

I'm sure some American company will sell you an anodised aircraft grade aluminium and titanium doo-hicky for $$$$$$ - it's bound to help accuracy  😁

If it comes in a multicam molle case i’m in for a group buy 👍

Mark,

Out of interest why are you marking the brass, this is not being funny, just interested.

I mark bullets in different rounds during load development, just not marked cases as yet.

T

23 minutes ago, terryh said:

Mark,

Out of interest why are you marking the brass, this is not being funny, just interested.

I mark bullets in different rounds during load development, just not marked cases as yet.

T

Makes it easier to decipher who's brass is laying strewn across the firing point

Many thanks to Charlts, lapua, Popsbengo, TC, Tralle, gruntus and terryh for you replies and useful suggestions.

In answer to terryh’s question “Out of interest why are you marking the brass, this is not being funny, just interested.”

I have 300 off Lapua brass cases (same batch number) which I have already segmented (at least twice previously) into various batches prior to reloading them.

Having fired them all at least three times, I now have 270 off cases ready for reloading but unfortunately as they have not been previously marked in any way, I am just about to segment them all again, but this time I wish to make sure I mark them so that they can be easily identified in the future.

At this year’s Roundhouse PRL weekends, I did see several competitors with marked brass, so thought I would ask what was available before making something myself.

I'm going to come over as very OCD, so no flaming please, it's just what I do that works for me......

I wanted to batch my brass in batches of ten based on their WCC. Cleaning and processing in tens is completely crazy and unworkable so had to come up with a solution that would allow me to wet clean in ss media in batches of 50 and allow them to get sorted afterwards.

I use an electric scribe/electric pencil to mark a number on the left of the headstamp for the series and a letter on the right size to group in 5/10.

It's a chore and a bit extreme but that's my regime and helps me keep track of brass.

HTH

G

Love the above ☝️

Super OCD and organised, love the commitment to orderliness.

There’s a big portion of me that would LOVE to do the above. But there’s just a slightly bigger portion that’s just too lazy. But I’m definitely with you in spirit.🤘

2 hours ago, Catch-22 said:

Just don’t clean your brass if you’re colour coding segmented brass - the Sharpie will come off in the tumbler (unsure about US cleaning though).

Catch-22, now you tell me...... just discovered that Wet SS Tumbling will remove sharpie colour markings even in the extraction grove.   At least I now know that i will have to tumble the segment cases in their respect batches and then re-mark them.  I think I need one of these...

2 hours ago, gruntus said:

I'm going to come over as very OCD, so no flaming please, it's just what I do that works for me......

I wanted to batch my brass in batches of ten based on their WCC. Cleaning and processing in tens is completely crazy and unworkable so had to come up with a solution that would allow me to wet clean in ss media in batches of 50 and allow them to get sorted afterwards.

I use an electric scribe/electric pencil to mark a number on the left of the headstamp for the series and a letter on the right size to group in 5/10.

It's a chore and a bit extreme but that's my regime and helps me keep track of brass.

HTH

G

gruntus, I like your solution to the problem, but I will try the sharpie route first.

3 hours ago, MarkR said:

Catch-22, now you tell me...... just discovered that Wet SS Tumbling will remove sharpie colour markings even in the extraction grove.   At least I now know that i will have to tumble the segment cases in their respect batches and then re-mark them.  I think I need one of these...

I'd have one of those if it played that music while I was reloading! 😁