scope removal.

martin_b

If you need to remove a scope for whatever reason (in my case transportation) but you want to keep the zero as close as possible when refitted IYSWIM.

Is it better to remove the scope with the mounts attached, and mark the mounts position on the rails ( dovetail Im afraid) or split the rings and mark the scope as to where the mounts were positioned.

I hope this makes sense!

this is just a one-off i hope. 

i need to use public transport and would prefer to be discreet about my luggage.  ( without wishing to stereotype i'll be traveling at about the same time as several thousand football supporters) 

well I am a contractor.😀

However staying with a friend on his farm, and shooting at his club, but traveling back by train through central london on Saturday lunchtime.  Ive got a folding stock 10/22 that will fit into a "normal holdall" but only with the scope removed.

All that aside i'm just curious as to if it makes any difference as I do move scopes between rifles.

Martin

I would leave the scope in rings and then use some form of torque screwdriver to always put them back the same.

One piece QD mounts with throw levers are nice, but good ones are not cheap.

re firearm on a train - thought that was not legal??

T

2 hours ago, dashed said:

Nothing illegal about public transport and firearms.

Apologies, you are correct, not illegal just against the original NR conditions of Carriage.

might be different now though as it’s all broken up into different companies 

T

Hi. I guess this is London Transport if on the underground. Is there metal detectors or security these days looking for knives? I am out of touch as long time since visiting London but I don't think I would not risk carrying a concealed firearm and ammunition on underground. How many here have done so - I would be interested to know.