284 win

Having just bought this beautiful 284 win .im a bit undecided on round .

Shes throated for.180grn ELD match 1:7.5 bartlein 5R 26"barrel

However i want to do target and game so the choices are 

175 ELDX or 162ELDX 

Has anyone got any info on this for me .

And yes shes brand new so no load data

received_301547107162286.jpeg

First thing id do is load up dummy rounds with different bullets your going to use and work out the ' touching  lands ' then you have a datum point as such with each bullet . - lovely rifle and caliber - that would be amazing for lr crows:) 

I run 162gr amaxs in my 284 on 57grs of N165, I use CCI BR2 primers so I guess the 162gr ELDX will be pretty similar, my barrel is a 5 groove 9 twist at 26 inches. my load on a 55f temperature runs at 2877fps ,that's fast enough for my needs.

I tried the 180gr ELDM's in my 1 in 9 but they didn't shoot very good but just trying a different primer may see a change in accuracy, I found this out a few months ago by loading 3 batches of identical ammo being the only difference was the primers, groups varied from 1.5 inches to 0.250 inches, I had tested and sold the 180gr ELDM bullets before I discovered this, I've always used and rated the hornady bullets. I think the 180gr ELD match chronied about 2750fps on 52grs of N165 and your 7.5 twister will likely to be slower.

Both of my 7mms are 1 in 9 and the twist rate shown on the box is 1 in 8 or faster I think, this includes the 162gr amaxs and they shoot superbly so I am not convinced on the twist rates being too accurate. From now on when I start with a new barrel I will try a load with 3 different primers and the one that produced the best group I would pursue,

The only thing with the 180gr ELDM bullets is I weighed a box and they varied up to 4/10's of a grain which may show up from verticle stringing at longerange. I will check my bal cal and see what the 180gr ELDM bullets chronied at and report back

The drab olive AICS stock is in my opinion the best looking stock ever made.my 6.5x47 wears one 😁

I had my 284 built to shoot the 180gr ELDMs, 28” heavy profile with 1:7.5 twist but could not get them to shoot at all. I was using N165 and couldn’t get them above 2700 fps, after about 250 I gave up. I think I couldn’t get them going fast enough with N165, a double based powder would of got me 2800 fps and I think they might of proformed better at that speed. Am now shooting the 162gr ELDMs with 55.3gn N160, cci br2 primers and getting 2900 fps with exceptional accuracy. Am using neck turned Norma brass. As always work up to that load. Good luck. 

The 162gr amaxs do well in both area's. I do prefer the 180s for 1000yds. Preferably hybrids but very recently I had a PB using pointed 180gr scenar l's, they always shot well unpointed but my first time with the pointed ones beat a PB I never thought I was going to beat again.

I would of really liked it for my 284 too of shot the 180gr ELDM bullets. I can't be bothered to waste anymore barrel life on them as I already have really good loads that I don't need to change. I will give them another chance on the new barrel if it's 1 in 8.5 twist or faster, I think the 1 in 8.25 twist will shoot all the 180gr plus bullets.

Powderwise

N165 

RS62 

RS60

N550 or N560 . The last 3 mentioned can be hard on barrels apparently. 

Since the REACH compliant rules came in H4350 and H4831SC were the popular choices but are banned now.

Most f class shooters will be using the first 3 powders so that's says alot

162 A-Maxs are known to be finicky- some guns love them and others hate them. Has become an irrelevancy with their production demise. As for the 180 Scenars, most guns will digest them happily but a guy I know (who was last year's F-TR champ at the Nationals here) has been having a nightmare trying to get them to shoot in his new .284 Walker F-classer. He's actually given up and gone to Hybrids to avoid more barrel life loss. In the other direction, I found that my .280AI hunting rifle really likes 150 LRABs which are notoriously variable in accuracy.

Knowing when to cut your losses and accept your gun just doesn't like a particular projectile is something many loaders need to learn.

I've been using the 180gr scenar l's in my 7mm saum to finish off the last f open club shoots,at 100yds there great, i struggled to get them going in the tough gusty wind that battered us the last shoot of the year,they've not been competitive enough unpointed, I might try some pointed ones to see what there like as it somehow may make all the difference as it did in my 284.

Archived