Small Rifle Primers ?

TJC

Hi,

I’m picking up some Lapua Small RIfle Primer brass for a new 6.5 Creedmoor build and wondered what Primer you’d recommend ? I was thinking CCI 450 Small RIfle Magnum Primers - are they a sensible choice ? 

Thanks 

I use KVB-223M in my 6.5x47 (and 308, 223, 6BR), and I've found them to be very consistent...................cheap, too............

Re-Pete

2 hours ago, Catch-22 said:

Check out the three excellent articles by Laurie. Answers to all your questions:

http://www.targetshooter.co.uk/?p=2662

Thank you. This is very interesting but focuses on .308 Win Palma Brass. The tests appear to indicate that CCI BR4 produces better groups, lower ES and lower SD than CCI 450 Magnum Primers but I also found a post by Laurie saying he keeps the BR4s for exclusive use in his 308 and they are too powerful for 6mm. With the 6.5CM falling between the too, perhaps leaning slightly more towards the .308 (?) does that mean BR4s could be used / recommended ? 

It certainly appears that getting the right primer makes a difference in SRP brass. So much to learn !

From the analysis, I'd be looking at the MagTech 7 1/2, S&B and Fiocchi.

I personally now use Muorum KVB-223M (magnums) in my 6.5x47, like Pete does above, and they shrunk my ES/SD. I previously had real issues with CCI 450s, ES/SD all over the shop. The 450s were crap IMO - and cost loads more than everything else.

17 minutes ago, Catch-22 said:

From the analysis, I'd be looking at the MagTech 7 1/2, S&B and Fiocchi.

I personally now use Muorum KVB-223M (magnums) in my 6.5x47, like Pete does above, and they shrunk my ES/SD. I previously had real issues with CCI 450s, ES/SD all over the shop. The 450s were crap IMO - and cost loads more than everything else.

Thank you

2 hours ago, SMLE said:

Any thoughts on CCI 400’s in 6.5cM? I’ve just got hold of a batch and working up a load at the moment with Lapua brass.

You may run into trouble at the top end of pressure because they have a very thin cup according to Laurie.

Maybe keep an eye on them as you slowly increase your loads.

Best NOT using standard cup thickness SR Primers in CM for the same reason you ought not really to use them in .223.  It needs thicker cups due to chamber pressures, so Magnum or any other 0.025" thickness primer cups are the ones that are recommended. Murom KVB 223Ms, CCI450 or BR or equivalent.  I use both the Muroms and the CCIs.

Could you fella's give me your opinion on the last of my batch of my Federal Premium Match SR Gold Medal primers?. I'd like to use them up, although i do have a few hundred CCI BR4's.

Cheers.

Archived