6.5x47 with 120gr amaxs

No i deer

I have just used my stock of 120gr Amax. They were my favoured and affordable mid weight bullet in my 260.

Shame they no longer make them.

good afternoon ,i dont use 6.5x47 but do use 120gr amax in 6.5x55 very accurate,i use n150.no point telling you load etc as the calibers are different.not sure which bullet to use next .i have just bought 200 120 gr nosler b/t,more expensive but at least i can get them.good luck with your search

I use the 123g a max in 6.5× 47 

I tried n150 and got a fairly decent group but pressures were getting too high. 

I have just tried the new imr 4166 varget equlivent and I'm getting better accuracy with them  1/2" was a bad group!!

My rifle preferrd the faster powder.

How many grains of N150 were you getting pressure signs on.I will check the viht data for 120 grainer.I did try max load with n150 with 139gr scenar and they were slow but good accuracy. I don't wanna mess about too much so H4350 maybe better option then

There is always an alternative.IMHO varget will be the worst one to lose.

RS powders is the new hodgdon.they make some great powders.the ones ive tried have been really good.RS60 being my current favorite though ive stopped using it due to the barrel burning qualities it gives from its extreme performance.as I don't need extreme I won't miss it.if and when I get a 338 lapua magnum and want to make it reach that bit further then I would use it for sure.

I always used RS60 with 120gr Amax and Vmax.

I now mostly shoot 139gr Scenar with RS62, just to keep the heat down.

I have been running 140gr amax on 39grs of RS60 as a varmint/hunting load.blasted the last 45 at the McQueens in December to keep the brass on the same cycle so they could go for annealing.they shot around 2850fps depending on current temperature.they may have gone faster but that was velocity when I chronied them.they were real good too.all RS 60 is gone at the mo so I will probaly make up 25 with h4350 just in case I take it across the fields and i can test them at bisley at 600 or 1000yds around the 14th of Jan.still awaiting 2018 fixtures

18 hours ago, No i deer said:

I have been running 140gr amax on 39grs of RS60 as a varmint/hunting load.blasted the last 45 at the McQueens in December to keep the brass on the same cycle so they could go for annealing.they shot around 2850fps depending on current temperature.they may have gone faster but that was velocity when I chronied them.they were real good too.all RS 60 is gone at the mo so I will probaly make up 25 with h4350 just in case I take it across the fields and i can test them at bisley at 600 or 1000yds around the 14th of Jan.still awaiting 2018 fixtures

With the NRA Shooting Club?

At Bisley with LPSC.

I have emailed the NRA at bisley asking if the could put up a new McQueens castle on short Siberia as it's shot to poo  and level it up as its not easy to hold the huns head at the windows as its leaning too far forward and they replied saying they would sort :D

I recently developed a load for a guy's 47 Lap with a Steve Kershaw barrel using the 123 Amax (managed to source quite a few) using RL15 (which will be still OK later this year) and on an OCW test the worse 3 shot group was .358" and the best .191". The barrel appeared to like the faster M/V

8 hours ago, dicehorn said:

I recently developed a load for a guy's 47 Lap with a Steve Kershaw barrel using the 123 Amax (managed to source quite a few) using RL15 (which will be still OK later this year) and on an OCW test the worse 3 shot group was .358" and the best .191". The barrel appeared to like the faster M/V

Reloaded 15 is ment to be real good for most rifles in that bullet weight it seems but a very dirty burning apparently. I have used rel 19 alot in the past but I didn' take any notice.also rel 22 but not for along time now.H4350 load is easily cleaned from the bore.saying that I've not got a bore scope so I've not No I deer what it looks like after I've cleaned it.

In my experience the Hodgson powders are no angels when talking about clean powders - perhaps it comes down to how often you clean the bore. FWIW unless you have a stockpile of H4350, its not going to be around much longer - perhaps now is the time to consider the Alliant Reloader/Reloader Swiss powders. This 47Lap was the 2nd rifle I developed a load for using RL15 and the 123's both shot well within a spread of 37.1 and 38.6 grs

Hi I did play with 120g A-Max but can't find my targets. I do how ever shoot 123g A-Max with the only powders that really work for me is H4350 & N150 & cci 450 primers. I also use 120g Nosler also with 41.5g in H4350 in the 123g A-Max its 41.4g H4350. 

For N150 with 123g A-Max 37.5g I did get to 37.8g but in spring/summer I got pressure signs so just work 37.5g or 37.4g all the time.  All these loads cluster 5 shots in .2-.3

Archived